Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 AM   #166
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
They were published by Ace when I was reading them in the early-to-mid 60s. And A. Bertram Chandler's stuff was more often than not packaged in "Ace Double" two-fers.

And I managed to catch a few of Chandler's short stories in their original appearances in If and Worlds of Tomorrow. One thing I really think is a shame is that the stories are reprinted without the illustrations that went along with them. I can't believe it would be that expensive to track down and buy the rights to B&W illustrations. And they should show up properly in any ereader.

Ah, well. Off to the Vent and Rant thread.
Well, DAW had them in the 80's.

https://openlibrary.org/search?sort=...sher_facet=DAW

I have a few ACE doubles (most notably Mack Reynolds' North Africa novels, Walt & Leigh Richmon, a few others) but I got them used. They had stopped doing them by the time I got started. I did get the ERB books with the Frazetta Covers from ACE, though.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:34 AM   #167
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Fortunately, I have a (reasonably) local used book store and, when I don't mind opening a dead-tree book I stop by. They have a several "shelf-feet" of Ace doubles -- including some Westerns, which I never saw new. It's a nice walk down memory lane.

According to Wikipedia, the doubles ran into the late 70s or early 80s, but I can't remember seeing any after about 1968.

*Justification for inclusion in this topic: Jim Baen started his publishing career at Ace Books in the early 70s.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 04:08 AM   #168
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Parse the sentence again.
Note the comma.
Eh, did you nit say it was not an accident that they published Schmitz? I remember it like an accident or like a coincident.

Quote:
And Flint isn't the only one liking Schmitz.
Even if he hadn't written anything beyond WITCHES OF KARRES, he'd still be a must read for any student of the genre. But what he did with the Hub, *when* he did it, is remarkable.
Way ahead of his time.
Of course not and I did not imply he was the only one. I really love Schmitz books but strangely enough it is the Hub books i like best. Among the great mass of people that have read Schmitz it seems to be The Witches of Karres that are most popular.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:09 AM   #169
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Of course not and I did not imply he was the only one. I really love Schmitz books but strangely enought it is the Hub books i like best. Among the great mass of people that have read Schmitz it seems to be The Witches of Karres that are most popular.
I think the "Hub Federation" books are excellent, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:15 AM   #170
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Just as it is no accident that they've been scooping up the works of the unappreciated 50's/60's masters like Laumer, Schmitz, Chandler, etc, as well as Heinkein and Anderson. I'm hoping they get ahold of the rest of the Anderson catalog, especially THERE WILL BE TIME and TAU ZERO.
Note that, for people outside the US, "Tau Zero" is available from SF Gateway. Unfortunately they don't have US rights.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #171
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Note that, for people outside the US, "Tau Zero" is available from SF Gateway. Unfortunately they don't have US rights.
Rossetta Books released a decent US version of Tau Zero. Great book book by a great author.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #172
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This might interest people:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/03/1...h-of-heinlein/

It is about Baen.
It’s also as blatant a misreading of Toni Weisskopf’s essay as could be, and probably the source of the Guardian calumnist’s misreading.

The form of argument she’s using goes something like this: “You might believe hypothesis A to be true, but reject it for reasons B and C; instead accept statement D for ‹list of reasons›.” In this case, the hypothesis she’s explicitly rejecting is “We (SF fans) shouldn’t associate with pseudo-fans who don’t even read Heinlein,” and she rejects it in favor of a broad view of the genre.

Scalzi’s response is an attack on the hypothesis Toni rejected. It’s a straw man argument, made more insidious by the fact that skimming Toni Weisskopf’s essay will turn up sentences which—when taken out of context—sound like she is in fact advocating what he accuses her of. This post of his is vile and dishonest.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #173
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think the "Hub Federation" books are excellent, too.
One of my favourites by Schmitz was his "Agent of Vega" short story collection. I'd suspect a purist would call it militaristic and/or imperialistic. The Confederacy of Vega conquering Cushgar in "The Truth About Cushgar". Genocide in "The Second Night of Summer".

Last edited by DNSB; 09-23-2014 at 01:06 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote