Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2018, 03:18 AM   #46
sentaro
sentaro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I buy all my books on Amazon and convert them to DRM-free ePubs in Caliber. I have no problem sideloading those DRM-free ePubs to the Kobo.
Hello,
on theKobo website I can find the following tutorial to add books to the Clara HD:
https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...o%20Clara%20HD

In the User Guide for that very e-reader, hower, the "Adding books" section only includes the following scenarios:
-Buying a book on your Kobo eReader
-Browsing the Kobo bookstore
-Adding a book to your Wishlist
-Viewing your Wishlist

Can you confirm that loading books (I mean self made cbz or epub for instance) is as easy as stated in https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...o%20Clara%20HD ?

Thank you so much.

KR,
sentaro
sentaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:36 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentaro View Post
Hello,
on theKobo website I can find the following tutorial to add books to the Clara HD:

In the User Guide for that very e-reader, hower, the "Adding books" section only includes the following scenarios:
-Viewing your Wishlist

Can you confirm that loading books (I mean self made cbz or epub for instance) is as easy as stated in https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...o%20Clara%20HD ?
Yes, you can sideload books just by copying them to the ereader when it is connected to the PC. For some reason, Kobo have never had details on that in the manual. But, you did miss that it has how to use ADE to add books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 05:04 AM   #48
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, you can sideload books just by copying them to the ereader when it is connected to the PC. For some reason, Kobo have never had details on that in the manual. But, you did miss that it has how to use ADE to add books.
Reason: we want to promote to purchase books in our shop
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:31 AM   #49
sentaro

Quote:
Thank you David,
yes I got it but I was wondering whether ADE could be used for licensed books only. Can ADE be used with self-made documents too?
thx again
Old 11-29-2018, 05:45 AM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes I got it but I was wondering whether ADE could be used for licensed books only. Can ADE be used with self-made documents too?
Yes you can. But, I would recommend using calibre instead.
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Hello,

-Viewing your Wishlist

Thank you so much.

KR,
sentaro
As David said, use Calibre for sideloading. It is free and easy.

As an aside, I wouldn't recommend the Clara (or ANY e-ink) device) for CBZ/CBR files. They work, but they won't work as well as even the cheapest tablet.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #52
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Derf, thank you very much! That demonstration video confirmed for me that I probably didn't make my layers thick enough. I think I'll try again, because I'm really not happy with how difficult the Clara is to hold, especially while lying down. And I really don't want to use a cover -- what's the point of a lightweight reader if you're just going to make it heavy with a case? Plus, I like always seeing the sleep screen with the cover of the book I'm reading: it reminds me of the book I'm reading and invites me to continue reading. The outside of a case is just always the outside of a case...

When you took the back of your Clara off for spraying, did you tape off the perpendicular edges that click into the front of the device? Or did you just spray the bare back? In case if the latter, did any PlastiDip cover the edges? Did the back still easily click back into place, or did you have to peel some PlastiDip off the plastic that clicks inside the front of the device?

Hmmm I may do the electrical tape thing too then. I don't really want to because I don't like the idea of "something in between", raising the bezel even higher above the screen. Maybe I'll try the black marker thing first (I read somewhere here someone had been successful at stopping the light reflection just by blacking out the edges, I'll have to search for that post*). But then if that doesn't work I'll have to take everything apart again. Ugh.

EDIT: *It was Atilla! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...25#post3711525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
I just put them back cover on a large piece of cardboard and sprayed. The cardboard was probably at 45 degree angle to the ground. You don’t get great spray out of a rattle can spraying downwards. You get the best spray horizontally, but that requires fixing the cover to a wall. So 45 degrees was a compromise.
I just sprayed the cover, straight on. No Plastidip got on the sides that click in to the frame, and I didn’t peel any off first or have trouble putting it back.
I think whoever used the marker trick had a bad experience, but it may be because they didn’t keep the marker on the side of the glass and got some on the top of the glass? I can’t remember, but I seem to recall they weren’t happy and had to redo it. The electrical tape has solved the light bleed and I’m 100% happy with my device now.

Thank you once again Derf! I'm just reporting back a month after I re-applied my vinyl spray properly... it was definitely my own fault that it didn't last the first time around! It is now perfect and wonderful and I'm really happy!

...plus, I got rid of the light 'bleed' spots as well. (I used Atilla's black marker approach, but I think it would have been enough to just take off the front bezel and put it back on.)

I'm very happy now! Don't even want a Forma
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #53
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I never used ADE on my Clara.... I side load ALL the time.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #54
famfam
Connoisseur
famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo Clara landscape mode

Has the kobo clara the landscape mode for epub or only for pdf? I can't remember, how to activate the landcape moder for epub on kobo clara? Can you help me? Thanks.
famfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #55
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
add in Kobo eReader.conf
Quote:
[DeveloperSettings]
ForceAllowLandscape=true
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #56
famfam
Connoisseur
famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Semwize
I added the landscape command and rebooted. But I can't find out, how to change from portrait to landscap mode. How to switch between the two modes?
Are you sure, that it works for Kobo Clara HD?
Firmwareversion: 4.10.11655 (28.08.18)

Last edited by famfam; 12-04-2018 at 02:24 PM.
famfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #57
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
If you patch the Kobo, then you can activate landscape mode with an icon in the menu bar. See more in the patch thread for the latest firmware.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #58
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by famfam View Post
Are you sure, that it works for Kobo Clara HD?
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by famfam View Post
Firmwareversion: 4.10.11655 (28.08.18)
update firmware 4.11.12019

on firmware 4.10.11655 landscap mode will not work

Last edited by Semwize; 12-04-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #59
sentaro

Quote:
Yes you can. But, I would recommend using calibre instead.
Thanks David, this would probably be a little OT, but, does the same apply to the Aura H2O (need to choose between those two, this one being a bit larger)?
thx again
Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks David, this would probably be a little OT, but, does the same apply to the Aura H2O (need to choose between those two, this one being a bit larger)?
The advice for putting books on the Clara HD applies to all Kobo devices. The advice to use calibre, is much more general. It is the best way to manage ebooks that I know of.