Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #1
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Firmware 3.16.10 Discussion

Firmware version 3.16.10 has been released.

This release is a Japan Glo HD only release, coinciding with the release of the Kobo Glo HD in Japan.

The first post of the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread has been updated. I'm calling this one The Samurai Ate My Lunch release.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As stated above, Kobo have released this firmware to coincide with the release of the Glo HD in Japan. As such, it is only going to Glo HDs sold in Japan.

This was released to the beta list with the following list of changes:
  • Use the new dictionary search interface (introduced in 3.16.0) everywhere
  • If the device becomes unresponsive, it will try to reboot itself instead of requiring a manual reset
  • See 48 Recommendations instead of 20
  • Fixed occasional freeze after sync
  • Fixed cut off text on 'Remove from..' dialog on Glo HD
  • Fixed untranslated 'Current read' string in Search dropdown (Français)
  • Fixed slow opening of EPUBs with large Table of Contents
  • Fixed all-black PNG G16 image rendering

The last two are fixes for problems reported here. The fix for the last ToC also means these books are processed correctly when added. As and experiment, I created a book with 4500 entries in the ToC and it loaded correctly. All those "Chapter xxx"s made for a fascinating read.

Not mentioned above are changes to the Japanese dictionaries. The dictionary file is much larger, 90MB instead of 10MB, and there are now two English two Japanese translation dictionaries. Kobo have said these changes will reach the other devices in the next firmware release.

The only other fix I have noticed is when searching in the current book. It is choosing the correct book in the drop down rather then the previously opened book.

Other than the timing of firmware releases, Kobo do not make the firmware for specific markets. Installing this on Glo HDs bought elsewhere is safe. Installing on other devices is probably safe as well. But, the Glo HD uses a few different drivers and the package does not include the equivalent drivers for the other devices. If any of the above changes rely on updates to these drivers, there might be problems. The same goes if they rely on changes to the kernel or uBoot image. If either of these are the case, there might be some problem, but at the most, this could lead to the need to do a factory reset.

For calibre users, the driver has been updated and will be in the next release. In the meantime, you are safe to turn the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option.

And as always, the above is in no way an official release statement. It is based on my notes and experimenting with the beta firmware. It is almost definitely wrong in some way and missing changes in the firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I am not sure whether this is new, but I became aware of it now for the first time. Dictionaries can contain images.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What was the word? Or is it the reason the new Japanese dictionary is so big?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What was the word? Or is it the reason the new Japanese dictionary is so big?
I saw only the gif files in the Japanese dictionary. Rather "boring" stuff like the symbol for "root of 2" and diacritical signs, like the transcription for anusvara, trigrams of Taoist cosmology, some Chinese characters. There are 286 gif files, each less than 500 byte.

Last edited by tshering; 07-29-2015 at 09:22 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
problems with 3.16.1

I've just upgraded to 3.16.1 because I was annoyed with the blacked out pictures, but I have problems. I sent 2 books with pictures to the kobo, which calibre recognises as sent to the device, but I can't find them on the device, either in the book list or with the search. I verified that I have the "Attempt to support newer firmware" on the plugin, and I turned the device off and on.

I'll wait until Calibre updates to see whether it helps before downgrading.

EDIT: I did it on the glo HD

Last edited by anacreon; 07-29-2015 at 04:03 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I've just upgraded to 3.16.1
The pedant in me has to point out it is 3.16.10.
Quote:
because I was annoyed with the blacked out pictures, but I have problems. I sent 2 books with pictures to the kobo, which calibre recognises as sent to the device, but I can't find them on the device, either in the book list or with the search. I verified that I have the "Attempt to support newer firmware" on the plugin, and I turned the device off and on.

I'll wait until Calibre updates to see whether it helps before downgrading.

EDIT: I did it on the glo HD
What happened when you disconnected the device? Did it show the processing screen?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:13 AM   #8
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
What about the Aura HD ? Will it be supported still ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:37 AM   #9
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What happened when you disconnected the device? Did it show the processing screen?
It did. This morning I tried sending epubs instead of kepubs, which was ok, but then noticed the kepubs I had sent the evening before were accessible. I wonder whether it is because the reader was blocked last night and I had to reboot it with a paperclip.

So I deleted the epubs from the device and resent them and others as kebubs. Once again, the recently sent books were inaccessible from the device, but the file sent yesterday and accessed today from the kobo was still accessible on the kobo.

I reconnected the kobo: the files were readable on the device from my PC. Once the kobo disconnected, the files sent today were readable... without any recourse to a paperclip.

So it seems either a reboot with a paperclip or simply reconnecting to a PC seems to make the books available on the kobo. Mysterious are the ways of kobo.

Last edited by anacreon; 07-30-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:49 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
What about the Aura HD ? Will it be supported still ?
I'm not sure what you are asking. If you want to know if 3.16.10 will be sent to the Aura HD, the answer is no. The reasons are stated in the first two posts.

If you want to know if there will be further firmware releases for the Kobo HD, we don't know. Kobo have not said one way or the other. But, it is very unlikely that there won't be more releases for any of the devices since the Touch. Except maybe the Mini. Mini users might be out of luck, but I would be a lot more surprised if there were no more releases for the Aura HD than I would be by a release for the Mini.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 AM   #11
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that.

I wonder what happened to 3.16.1 to 3.16.9? Or is Kobo doing the Windows 10 thing?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #12
murg
No Comment

The annoying thing about the new Auto-Reboot(tm) feature is that it shows that Kobo is incapable of fixing the serious issues in their software. To resolve some long running (or never ending) process issues they had to code a watchdog timer to handle those situations when the software went off with the fairies.

Of course, being Kobo, this means that some aspects of normal processing fall afoul of the watchdog timer.

The other annoying thing, is that the device just reboots. Making the user think that something is wrong with the device. This will probably lead to an increase in the number of devices returned for warranty issues.

Then again, maybe this is the way things are done in Japan.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:36 AM   #13
anacreon
Guru

dictionaries disaster

So, I side loaded 3.6.10 on my glo hd in order to resolve the former black pictures bug - and I am now able to see the beautiful pictures of Granny Grump's Nesbit series.

BUT! One bug solved and a humongous new bug added:
  • opening an English book for the first time, the first call to a dictionary has the regular English-French dictionary (my and the reader's language are French) and I switch it to the plain English, as I always do. Calling the full page, it keeps the English dictionary. So far, so good.
  • opening a French book the first call to a dictionary has the regular French dictionary, but calling the full page, it has the English dictionary! And if I try to modify it, by the new process of pressing on the language button, the drop down list has:
    English,
    Deutsch,
    Italiano,
    Español,
    Español (México),
    Português,
    English-Français,
    English-Deutsch,
    English-Italiano,
    English-Español (México) twice, on two lines,
    Deutsch-English,
    Italiano-English,
    Español (México)-English (twice)

and that's it folks.
  • German, Italian and Spanish books behave the same as the French books, but are less of a problem for me (just the extra work to get a detailed definition...) since the relevant plain and translation languages dictionaries are available from the drop list.
I am very annoyed not to be able to access the detailed kobo French dictionary nor the Littré filed under Nederlands - and I can see them in the parameters list of dictionaries, unchanged in this release.

Last edited by anacreon; 08-02-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:08 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not sure if see either the "disaster" or "humongous bug". There are bugs, but they aren't that big.

The first bug I see is that "English-Español (México)" and "Español (México)-English" are listed twice. Kobo have announced a deal with some Mexican book stores, so are adding the Mexican version of Spanish to the interface. It looks like they have messed up the list here and have the Mexican translation twice instead of the two different versions.

The other bug is caused by the licenses for the French and Dutch dictionaries. The license Kobo have for these means they can do a lookup, but not a search. This is unchanged from previous firmware, but the changes to the dictionary search is causing a problem. In the past, you could change it when doing a lookup from the dictionary popup. Now it uses the new search and that doesn't allow these dictionaries.

I'll pass this on to Kobo via the beta list.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Sorry, was posting this in the wrong topic.
I sideloaded this firmware to both of my Glo HD (with no other readers then the default ones for epub and kepub) and had 3 spontanious reboots. (device where responsive at that time)

I think the "self reboot" option is dangerous and I hope it can be patched so it doesn't work or that an option comes there in the setup option page to disable it,or Kobo doesn't implement it in new firmwares.
As told by others it would be there build in for people that are not aware of the reset button... what about read the manual when your device hangs ??
Second reason would be,a new device in the future without a reset button.. (why ? )

The thing i am against with is the automathic function,
when I press the reset button it is me who want the device to reset, me is requesting that, I am in control.
Now you loose the control about the reset to the device itself.. and why would it reset.. oh because the device itself becomes unstable.
So in a "unstable condition" you must hope that it is stable enough to make the right decision that it can reset safely ?

Imagine that by a bug it wents in a loop,you can't access it any longer,I find that a rather dangerous thought.
When the device is able to reset itself it can maybe do it in the middle of an update,and turn it into a brick.
You can say: that is not possible... but there are enough bugs still in the present firmware that are not on the drawing board but do pop up ...

I am back to 3.16.0 and I am hoping for either a patch to disable it,or that kobo doesn't implement it further in new firmwares.

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-02-2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: shorting my ebook into a message ;)
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote