Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 04:52 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Giving away or lending an Ebook

I would quite happily send anyone on here a paperback I would otherwise throw away so they could have a read or even give it to a charity so they can sell it.

What happens now Ebooks are introduced to the mix?

Can I send you a legally purchased DRM free ebook to read?
Can I lend it my wife to put on her reader If i purchased it?
Can I put it on disc and give it to a charity shop to resell?
Can I sell a disc with them on at a market stall?

thoughts?

Personally I think all of the above are fine with a paperback and are done all of the time so surely it would be ok to do the same with an Ebook? why not?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most DRM formats provide a mechanism to share the book with your friends, family, etc. No, you can't re-sell them, generally speaking; this will be specified by the T&C at the store where you buy the book from.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I suppose that one difference is that if you give away a paper book then you no longer have it. But if you give away copies of ebooks then you do still have it.

This could lead to a proliferation of copies, so that the author loses out on royalties. And whilst your family are doubtless honest people, there are others who might put the book on torrent sites.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Most DRM formats provide a mechanism to share the book with your friends, family, etc. No, you can't re-sell them, generally speaking; this will be specified by the T&C at the store where you buy the book from.
Good point but i did say non DRM ebooks and Paper backs also contain the same notice in the fronto of books stating not for hire or resale... yet i dont see the police seizing materials from my local secondhand bookstore.

Patricia the author loses out on the royalties if I lend the paperbook around to 4 or 5 people as I and those people wont purchase it (some reference books I may but not a general novel)
The torrent one is a non issue really for me and not relevant! someone could borrow a pbook from me and put it on a torrent!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
If I can sell my old pbooks, why can't I sell my old ebooks? If I can't sell them, do I own them at all, or am I just renting them? I'm pretty sure I own my paper books, and second-hand bookstores will happily take them.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Good point but i did say non DRM ebooks and Paper backs also contain the same notice in the fronto of books stating not for hire or resale... yet i dont see the police seizing materials from my local secondhand bookstore.
That's the first sale doctrine. This is where if you acquire an item legally, like a book, you can sell or give it away without permission from the copyright owner to whomever you please
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
That's the first sale doctrine. This is where if you acquire an item legally, like a book, you can sell or give it away without permission from the copyright owner to whomever you please
So I can give away an ebook to whoever i please legally?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:25 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
So I can give away an ebook to whoever i please legally?
Software is a grey area. Are EULA or other contracts binding when they say you can't resell? Some courts have said yes and some no.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
He said non DRM!!!
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #11
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
PLEASE read the whole Question.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now to take this one step farther.. let's say I wanted to sell my 505 and I put on content that I will never reread that I legally purchased. Can I sell it with this content on it? I should hope so. Some of it could have DRM and some not. But that should not matter. If the content was legally purchased and I won't be rereading it, then giving it away/selling it should be legal (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I look at the whole thing in another way.
When I buy a paper book, I actually own the paper, not the book. In effect I can't rewrite the story, I can't use the characters in another book I write and so on.
When I own the paper, I get an implicit license for a limited use of what's written in the paper (I can read it, but if the ink fades, I lose it and I cannot have another free or warranty covered copy; and I still own the paper).
Being the legal owner of that bunch of paper sheets, I can do what I want with it, even to light a fire.
I'm not the owner of the printed words in it.

The implicit license for the limited use of the book goes with the paper. So, if I lend or resell the paper, the new owner gets the limited license too.

The same applies to e-books. I own the disk where the book is stored, I can sell it, lend it or burn it. But I can't do nothing withe content of the book (not even read it in the device of my choice, in some cases).
So when I buy the e-book, I'm buying the bytes of it, non its content. Actually I'm buyng nothing at all (and I pay a fair price for it!!!!). The e-books, which I don't own, comes with an explicit license for a very limited use (more limited than p-book...).

An e-book is more like a movie theater ticket than a p-book.
The difference is in the fact you can read a book more than once with the same ticket, but sooner or later it will be changed and reders will be charged per page display.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Ah, slightly off-topic: in my country I can't read aloud in a public place the book I bought.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
You can in most countries legally copy the paper book and then lend the paper book to a friend.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote