Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Spell Check Suggestion

Would it be possible to implement some sort of Menu which would list all the misspelled words in the current EPUB? I am imagining something like the Index Editor, in which you can search a list of the words Sigil believes are misspelled, and perhaps an easy way to set the words to "Ignore" or "Add To Dictionary".

Also, if possible, it would be really nice to jump to the next spot the word is used in the book with a doubleclick. (Would it also be possible to add this into the Index Editor?). It would then be very easy to look around the misspelled word for context, instead of having to copy/paste/type the word into search box every time.

Currently I am working on a 1000+ page book, and it is quite daunting going through and "Ignoring" and "Adding To Dictionary" all the words... especially all the different people's names. A list of only misspellings would make it so much easier.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Would it be possible to implement some sort of Menu which would list all the misspelled words in the current EPUB? I am imagining something like the Index Editor, in which you can search a list of the words Sigil believes are misspelled, and perhaps an easy way to set the words to "Ignore" or "Add To Dictionary".

Also, if possible, it would be really nice to jump to the next spot the word is used in the book with a doubleclick. (Would it also be possible to add this into the Index Editor?). It would then be very easy to look around the misspelled word for context, instead of having to copy/paste/type the word into search box every time.
r.
In 6.x there is an icon with a green check and ABC.
Guess what that does Next misspelled word. (CV only)

In addition.
Running Tools Reports, will give a COUNT of misspelled words per (HTML) file
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
In 6.x there is an icon with a green check and ABC.
Guess what that does Next misspelled word. (CV only)
Yes, although I currently just use F4 as it is the much quicker way to skip to next misspelled word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
In addition.
Running Tools Reports, will give a COUNT of misspelled words per (HTML) file
Also, if there was a list of misspelled words, it would also be useful to have how many times it occurs throughout the book (would it be possible to add this to the Index Editor as well?).

I believe these additions would greatly speed up the EPUBing process.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-05-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
On 30/09/12, I asked for keep the list of ignored words for each book.
And not deleted when you exit Sigil.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=168

I think, IMHO, that is still very necessary.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
On 30/09/12, I asked for keep the list of ignored words for each book.
And not deleted when you exit Sigil.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=168

I think, IMHO, that is still very necessary.
Yes, I believe that a way to access the "Ignored" list would be helpful as well, although depending on how a misspelled words list is implemented, it could cover your problem as well.

If each word had an "Ignore" checkbox in the misspelled words list. Then you can easily set words to ignore/unignore, and you could easily hide them away, sort of like what is currently done in the Generate TOC window with "Show TOC items only."
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Ignored words that are not deleted when you exit is what a dictionary is. Just setup a dictionary for that book.

As for the suggestions on how to improve Spellcheck, they look interesting. Currently Spellcheck has gone from not being there, to being available as highlights, and now it allows you to find and ignore/add the words easily. Adding a new Spellcheck Editor might be a way to make it more useful.

A good question is how much should such an editor allow. A list of all the misspelled words, with their filenames, possibly the block text containing the word, and options for each word - to ignore, to add to the dictionary. Double click to jump to the word. Editing the word? Quite a lot.

But what does all that really get you over using the Next Misspelled Word approach? Just set keystrokes for Next Misspelled Word, Ignore Word, and Add To Dictionary and then you can easily go through the document with full context and the ability to right click to get suggestions or just edit directly. Either way you still need to go through every word to check (and once marked ignored or added, the remaining ones are skipped). And Find&Replace can be used to correct common mistakes.

Now maybe to speed it up slightly you could have an entry that ignores the word and immediately finds the next one, or adds and finds the next one. But you could also setup a macro for the keystrokes.

So its not clear what should really change with Spellchecking.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Something, what came in my mind by reading this discussion (quick and dirty):

Become a list in a window with all found misspelled words. Then I like to have the possibility to set an action for each word like:

- move the word in a user dictionary because it is a correct spelled word for this book (like names, foreign languages, missing in the main dictionary, ignored word etc.)
- make a correction because it is wrong and the possibility to write the correct spelling in the listing
- doing nothing and leave it as it is

After the actions are set in the listing I like to process them automatically. It would be also nice to have this as a working list where I can make a decision how much I want to change and what I like to do later.

... only a thought ...
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Ignored words that are not deleted when you exit is what a dictionary is. Just setup a dictionary for that book.
I explained on 30/09/12:
The dictionaries are for the words I want to save.
The ignore list is for words that I do not want to keep, and I do not want to be bothered with a red line, when I'm doing a spell-check of the text.

Now I add:
It is very heavy and annoying to have to repeat the process of sending the same words to the list of ignored, every time I open Sigil to continue working with a particular book.

If I have not explained well I beg you to tell me, and I try to explain it better and in more detail next time.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
So its not clear what should really change with Spellchecking.
Example:

Currently, when looking for leftover '-' from OCR. I use this regex:

Code:
([a-zA-Z])-([a-zA-Z])
Replace:

Code:
\1\2
Click Find, Find, Find, Find, Find, Replace, Find, Find, Replace, Replace...... (until the end of the book).

Or I use the Index Editor. I open the Index Editor and right click -> "Auto Fill". I search '-' in the Search box. This gives me a list of all the words with a hyphen in them. I go through the list trying to find those that stand out, but it is tough because correct hyphens are also mixed in with incorrect ones.

From there, since the Index Editor only shows you the words (no way to easily jump to that word), I type the word into the Find box, and go fix it.

Since Sigil already knows which words are spelled correctly, why would it not be possible to have a combination of this functionality? An Index Editor Auto Fill type list, minus all the correctly spelled words. Surely you can see the usefulness of this function.

The other things mentioned (easy way to mass Ignore/Add To Dictionary/Double Clicking to jump to word/Hiding Ignored Words) were just extra ideas I thought of to make such a misspelled word list much more useful/quicker to use.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
A other thing I am missing:

I use for each book a own user dictionary. When I do the first spell checks there are a lot of words missing. I am looking for a shortcut for quick adding a word into the user dictionary based on a highlighted word in code view.

Maybe something you like to add?
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
A other thing I am missing:

I use for each book a own user dictionary. When I do the first spell checks there are a lot of words missing. I am looking for a shortcut for quick adding a word into the user dictionary based on a highlighted word in code view.

Maybe something you like to add?
Something faster than the Right click Add to... ?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or even faster, just define a keyboard shortcut for the Tools->Spellcheck->Add Misspelled Word. Not every function has a predefined shortcut since there are only so many available, but if its a function in the menu then you can define a shortcut for it.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Perhaps jbacelar's problem is the same one I have had. I don't want to put a lot of proper names in the dictionary, but I do want them ignored. But it probably amounts to the same thing. That is why I requested the spellcheck to be able to ignore capitalized words.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
meme
Sigil developer

It's most likely we'll try to resolve this using multiple user dictionary support - so you can have one with proper names, places, book-specific, etc. and then you can activate one or more of them to use for spellchecking.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just create a user dictionary for the book you're currently working on. When done, manually copy your "regular" user dictionary back to the proper folder and delete/archive the special one. I keep many such custom user dictionaries on hand that are tailored for editing certain books.

EDIT: And if meme incorporates the multiple user dictionary idea into Sigil's "official" lexicon of available tools... so much the better!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-10-2013 at 11:18 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote