Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2022, 01:44 PM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You do realize that's an eastern Canadianism. I don't think I've heard it here more than once every couple of months, if that.

Certainly, though in an eBook world, you just highlight it and Kindle will tell you.
Well, that make sense. Corporate was in Ottawa
(And, no, I did not know it was Regional)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #32
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I'd worry, in your position....

When you go to the rest of your Amazon Content and devices , its does not say " you already borrowed this item" - it surely says you purchased it i.e. "own " it,
unless is from Prime lending, of Kindle unlimited, then its "borrowed"

is your pottermore book in "purchases", or "borrows."
My "borrows" only shows a fairly short list, and the Pottermore books aren't listed among them. But while I can view just Purchases, just Borrows, etc., the Search option seems to search everything. Sigh.

At least I have my epub backups.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:47 PM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
My "borrows" only shows a fairly short list, and the Pottermore books aren't listed among them. But while I can view just Purchases, just Borrows, etc., the Search option seems to search everything. Sigh.

At least I have my epub backups.
In my list (Amazon UK), my HP books from Pottermore show as

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Book 1)
J.K. Rowling
Acquired on 27 March 2012

just like all my other purchased books. But these were definitely bought at Pottermore.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-11-2022 at 03:52 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:55 PM   #34
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In my list (Amazon UK), my HP books from Pottermore show as

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Book 1)
J.K. Rowling
Acquired on 27 March 2012

just like all my other purchased books. But these were definitely bought at Pottermore.
My Amazon digital content shows all my Harry Potter books just like your example except I bought mine on April 1st. I also remembered sending mine to BN and they’re all there in the Nook app on my IPad with a download button. We’re there other storage options offered?

I also seem to remember that the Harry Potter books were used to attract Amazon customers to subscribe to kindle unlimited when it started. Maybe it shows as borrowed on the product page for ku members since they are perpetually available to borrow.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
My Amazon digital content shows all my Harry Potter books just like your example except I bought mine on April 1st. I also remembered sending mine to BN and they’re all there in the Nook app on my IPad with a download button. We’re there other storage options offered?

I also seem to remember that the Harry Potter books were used to attract Amazon customers to subscribe to kindle unlimited when it started. Maybe it shows as borrowed on the product page for ku members since they are perpetually available to borrow.
Me third, same text about being acquired, etc. (At wildly varying acquisition dates, which is funny, given I too bought through Pottermore.)

I'd dl'ed the ePUBs--I already had, but better safe than sorry and all that stuff and they don't have DRM, so anyone can format them into pretty much whatever they want.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:18 PM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post

The ASIN for the Kindle Unlimited book is different than the HP book I purchased from Pottermore. Cover image is different as well. It makes sense that the Pottermore purchases would be accounted for separately.

And as a ‘one-off’, it is not surprising that the product page for these is a bit odd.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:46 PM   #37
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I bought them at Pottermore and linked them to my Kobo account. So I have them there, but I downloaded the ones directly from Pottermore as well to have newer versions. The ones in my Kobo library have the original covers and aren't connected to the currently sold editions.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:11 PM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I bought them at Pottermore and linked them to my Kobo account. So I have them there, but I downloaded the ones directly from Pottermore as well to have newer versions. The ones in my Kobo library have the original covers and aren't connected to the currently sold editions.
If the books were updated and passed to Kobo as updates rather than new editions, Kobo doesn't automatically update the version you have. Part of this is to not cause issues with any annotations. If you know the book has been updated, you should be able to ask Kobo update it for you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:50 AM   #39
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Yes, I've done that in the past with a book which had added a bonus short story in a later edition. But these I'll leave alone.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:23 AM   #40
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The first book was particularly poorly “translated” into American, starting with the title! Referring to Lily as Harry’s “mom” sticks in my mind.

I really, really dislike it when publishers think they have to dumb things down for us dumb Yanks. We’re not quite so stupid as all that. What ever happened to figuring out things from context or, I dunno, looking things up? Might even be good for the kids at that.
I'm reasonably well-read, but it wasn't until years after I read the series that I learned what a jumper really was. I assumed that wearing dresses was just another weird wizarding thing that they did, sort of like robes.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
I'm reasonably well-read, but it wasn't until years after I read the series that I learned what a jumper really was. I assumed that wearing dresses was just another weird wizarding thing that they did, sort of like robes.
I remember, dog's years ago, trying to figure out what the hell a "jumper" was, as it appeared to be quite different than the jumpers we ourselves wore, here in the USA, as kids (a sort of girl's overall, with a skirt bottom rather than pants like work overalls). Man, this one is really dating me....anyway, I think the first time I went looking for that...I wasn't even a teen yet, I'm pretty sure, b/c the jumper thing confused me, due to context.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:41 AM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The one I found rather odd was the gymslip. More years that I care to remember back and took a while to find out what one was.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If the books were updated and passed to Kobo as updates rather than new editions, Kobo doesn't automatically update the version you have. Part of this is to not cause issues with any annotations. If you know the book has been updated, you should be able to ask Kobo update it for you.
That's the problem with buying from Kobo. I cannot get the latest version. I want the latest version. But how do we know if there is a newer version to ask for it? I have requested too have the latest versions available. Obviosly this has fallen on deaf ears.

That's why I've been buying from eBooks.com as I can get the latest version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:59 AM   #44
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I really, really dislike it when publishers think they have to dumb things down for us dumb Yanks. We’re not quite so stupid as all that. What ever happened to figuring out things from context or, I dunno, looking things up? Might even be good for the kids at that.
I never read the HP books in Dutch, but my GF did; so I know most names in both Dutch and English. Personally I prefer the English names, except for one.

I always found "Little Whinging" a contrived name.

The Dutch name is "Klein-Zanikem".

- The Dutch word for "Whinging" / "pointless complaining" is "zaniken"
- We have some villages and towns that are called "Groot-***" or "Klein-***"

The translation was so perfect that I looked it up to see if a village called "Klein-Zanikem" actually exists in the Netherlands. (It doesn't.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:15 AM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I always found "Little Whinging" a contrived name.
It's not implausible (although it doesn't actually exist). E.g., there's a place called "Little Snoring" near me.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote