Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Oasis 3 OFD

sitting and waiting for the delivery. pray for me. I have been without for a while and it would be really great if I got a great screen, white, even, etc. with great internals and everything functioning properly the first time out. that has not been my kindle experience in the past and yet I remain hopeful... so please keep me in your thoughts. tia
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Will do. Best luck!
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Will do. Best luck!
thank you!

it's here and the lighting appears perfect and even, but it is still charging so I have to wait a bit more.

it's tiny, beautiful, cold, and slippery though not as much as I had feared. the Graphite is gorgeous. very happy with my choice. and it's not as heavy as I had feared and the bump isn't too big on the handle side, nor the buttons too clicky.

time will tell, but I may have gotten a good one out of the gate. I really hope so, though now that I said that I may have jinxed it.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Glad you got the good one.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Glad you got the good one.
thank you. I wish it were more ergonomic. the sharp edges are hurting me every time I touch it. I thought I had something worked out that would help, but it really won't help that. very disappointed. in all likelihood it's going back.
Advert
Old 12-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Glad you got one in great shape.

Now someone pray for me until I get mine.

(I can't hear yoouuuuu!)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Glad you got one in great shape.

Now someone pray for me until I get mine.

(I can't hear yoouuuuu!)
praying for you.

mine is definitely going back. it's skipping huge chunks of book every time I touch it. it's beautiful, the light is perfect, but the device has issues. I was on chapter 8. I picked it up to unplug it, without touching the screen or buttons, and it took me forward to chapter 40 or something... wth?

I like using the touch screen so I don't want to turn it off, BUT I shouldn't have to go searching to get back where I was if I unplug it. bad move with these.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Maybe try to replicate the problem? Agreed that it would be annoying if it frequently jumps ahead for no apparent reason. But if it was a one-off, rare or it becomes apparent how to prevent that from happening then it may no longer be a big impediment.

Just saying that you might want to give it a little more time and see if you feel the same way in say a week's time?
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Maybe try to replicate the problem? Agreed that it would be annoying if it frequently jumps ahead for no apparent reason. But if it was a one-off, rare or it becomes apparent how to prevent that from happening then it may no longer be a big impediment.

Just saying that you might want to give it a little more time and see if you feel the same way in say a week's time?
I think twice in twelve hours, and I was asleep for most of them, is enough to know there's an issue. not touching the screen or buttons, just holding it or unplugging it. also doesn't retain the settings I set for pages. keeps reverting.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
My Paperwhite 4 did the random jumps ahead when it was new, but it thankfully no longer does this . I'm wondering if it's something that happens with some of these touch-screens when they're newer and getting broken in, so to speak.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
My Paperwhite 4 did the random jumps ahead when it was new, but it thankfully no longer does this . I'm wondering if it's something that happens with some of these touch-screens when they're newer and getting broken in, so to speak.
thank you. it just did it again and all I did was touch the metal edge on the lower left. not even the screen.

this little thing is so beautiful and the lighting is so perfect and even, but also so cold and sharp-edged, but I love it too so I am on a very painful fence.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

has anyone seen just a back cover, silicone would be perfect? I need it to wrap the sharp edges.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
The fact that you touched the bare aluminum body of the Oasis 3 when it jumped ahead many pages/chapters makes me wonder if Amazon has a grounding issue with them. Perhaps a faulty design or a disconnected ground somewhere. That is just one of many possible causes though. I had a Kindle a few years back that jumped ahead a lot, but I can’t remember which model it was or if it even had a touch screen.

Yesterday, or the day before, I was reading on my Oasis and I came across some photos that were embedded in the text of the book. Kindles often page break strangely around embedded images. I was about 15% through with the book. After I hit the page button to turn the page forward on the final embedded image I got that end of book page thanking me for reading the book and suggesting some similar books. I thought "bleep" the darn thing just jumped to the end of the book. However when I pressed the page button again I went to where I was supposed to be in the book. Odd thing to happen. I guess the firmware is a bit flaky, which is SOP with Amazon devices.

I’m pretty sure the whole not seeing cloud collections issue is a firmware quirk too. No excuse I read yesterday makes any sense, to be honest. The worst excuse I read (multiple times) is that the Oasis has to index the cloud collections. Seriously, it has to index what is on the cloud before it can even see it? I’m pretty sure that is pure bovine scatterings. It shouldn't need to do that. I understand indexing downloaded books, but not the Amazon cloud. Other devices could see all the cloud collections and changes immediately, but the Oasis is still not seeing them 24 hours later. My Kindle Basic 10th gen is also having issues seeing the cloud collections, although it does better than the Oasis. So there must be some wonky firmware code inside of them.

Last edited by OtinG; 12-05-2019 at 11:09 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

@OtinG

that cloud collections thing would really po me if I used them.

I quasi use collections, but only with airplane mode on so it's no big deal. I don't want Amazon mucking about on my devices. and if I want updates I install them myself. I also sideload all my books.

nothing about the Oasis 3, bt, wifi, audible, etc., is important to me except the exceptional screen and not having it jump all about when I touch it. I need the touch screen on because the button placement isn't as good for me as I need it to be.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I only keep a handful of books on my Kindle at any given time, and I don’t even want any collections set up on it. The only thing I wanted from the cloud collections was the ability to view my library by browsing collections in order to quickly find a book I wanted so I could then download it to my Oasis. Obviously that isn't going to happen. I guess I’ll have to pull out my iPhone XR or my iPad Pro to locate a book, then send it to my Oasis. I prefer simplicity. I want to easily download from the cloud, I want Whispersync to keep track of where I’m at in all my books and my highlights and notes therein on all my devices, and that is about all I want. I don’t won’t to mess with sideloading, using calibre, deDRMing, etc. At my age life is too short to mess with all of that. I would rather read a book than spend a lot of time maintaining a calibre library or modifying books, etc. I did that when I was younger, but I have no desire to mess with all that any more!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote