Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
trippingly
trippingly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 (9017)
Can't install KPVBooklet

Hi, I'm trying to install KPVBooklet to launch KOReader. I've tried installing it twice, but it doesn't look like it installed either time. (The home screen is still the same as before, and when I open a PDF, it's the standard PDF viewer rather than KOReader.)

Here's what I did:

1. I had already jailbroken my PW2, downgrading from 5.4.5.1 to 5.4.3.2, jailbreaking, installing the backdoor lock, and then upgrading back to 5.4.5.1. No problems with any of that.

2. Installed KPVBooklet following these instructions. Downloaded and unzipped the latest release (0.5.8), copied the install.bin to the Kindle's root folder, ejected the Kindle, and updated the Kindle via the menu. The message said it was successful.

3. Installed KOReader following these instructions. Downloaded the latest stable version (koreader-kindle-arm-linux-gnueabi-v2014.11-stable.zip), unzipped it, and copied the contents into the Kindle's root directory.

4. So the KOReader directories are all on there, but I couldn't see any sign of KPVBooklet having installed. I thought perhaps my firmware, 5.4.5.1, wasn't supported by KPVBooklet, since it's not mentioned in the readme. So I downgraded to 5.4.3.2 the same way I did when jailbreaking. Then I tried installing KPVBooklet again. (I didn't think to uninstall in between, because I couldn't see any evidence that it had installed the first time, but maybe I should have). This time I paid more attention to the messages that came up, but they all seemed normal, and once again, the message at the end said it had been successful. But I still can't see any sign that it's installed.

TL;DR: Have tried installing TPVBooklet (twice) but don't see it anywhere.

Can anyone think what I might be doing wrong? Thank you for your help!
trippingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You won't see KPVBooklet anywhere. It'll just 'link' epub/djvu/whatever files in the Homescreen to KOReader.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
trippingly

Ah, thank you, NiLuJe! I was confused, because I saw a screenshot where the home screen with KPVBooklet looked a little different than the default (just a list of titles rather than cover images), and also because PDFs weren't opening with KOReader by default. There are now though, as are EPUBs. So all's good. Thank you for your help!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippingly View Post
just a list of titles rather than cover images
That is an Amazon provided feature, called: "list view" in the standard interface choices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
trippingly

Ah, that explains it. Thanks, knc1! It's pretty cool how KPVBooklet integrates so seamlessly with the standard views.
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippingly View Post
Ah, that explains it. Thanks, knc1! It's pretty cool how KPVBooklet integrates so seamlessly with the standard views.
Yes, the members here do work at it.

We have members with all levels of C.S. background, from people just starting out with C.S. to those who either teach it or work at it as their day job (like, in, to put food on the table).

And we are all proud that there has been fewer "bad firmwares" posted here than by Amazon's Lab126 (the folks who should know better ).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
dumberock
dumberock began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW2
Hi. can kpvbooklet be installed on a PW2 with jailbroken 5.6.5 ?
I copied the 0.6.2 bin file on the kindle root but "update your kindle" stubbornly remains greyed out. I feel like I'm missing something obvious...
dumberock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dumberock: Yup, can't install classic custom packages that way on >= 5.6.x.

Use MRPI (cf. KUAL & JB FAQs).
Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #9
dumberock
dumberock began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW2
ok thanks but since it seems that means I have to go the whole kual -> mrpi -> kpvbooklet route to install it, can I remove kual afterwards and keep kpvbooklet ?

or is the kpvbooklet 'integration' as described here is doomed with 5.6.x ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=243532
dumberock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dumberock: No issues w/ the booklet on FW 5.6.x AFAIK.

KUAL is pretty much inert on its own, so you don't lose much besides an icon on your Homescreen by just leaving it there and never using it again if you so choose. And since you kinda need it to install/uninstall anything (MRPI), you might want to keep it.