Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Kindle Reader Bezel Elimination Concerns

All current Kindle reader models have eliminated the raised bezel that used to surround the screen. The only reasons I can see for the elimination are to slightly decrease the overall unit thickness and possibly lighten the unit by a few grams.

I liked the bezel as it kept the screen cleaner when holding the unit and, with the unit in a case, it spaced the closed cover away from the screen which to me decreased the chance of screen scratching or breakage during handling and transport. The combination of a flush screen and a flexible origami case cover seems to me to provide minimum screen protection. A stiff case cover against the no bezel screen still seems to be a poor design too, increasing the chance of screen scratching or worse damage.

Thoughts of other members? BTW my background includes about 15 years working as a Quality Assurance and Reliability Test engineer for a division of Xerox in Silicon Valley so I look at a item I buy and automatically look for potential problems with the design. I have working Kindle readers all the way back to the original V1.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I was glad to see bezels go away. I've been using Kindles since 2009, and have no issues at all with the flush screens of my Oasis and Paperwhite. I've never had a cover cause a scratch. I do make sure there is no debris on the inside of the cover.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing I like about the ACdream Folio cases for current Kindle readers is that they have a part of the reader holder sleeve that surrounds the reading area of the screen and provides a raised surface for holding the reader and spacing the closed cover away from the screen. Combined with a very stiff front cover these seem to provide maximum protection to the reader.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't like any cover that has a lip or edge around the screen. Tablets and smart phones have flush screens, and I won't use a cover on my iPad Pro that has an edge around the screen. I only use snap in type covers.

My Kindles do have skins on them, but they don't give much of an edge around the screen.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #5
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
All current Kindle reader models have eliminated the raised bezel that used to surround the screen. The only reasons I can see for the elimination are to slightly decrease the overall unit thickness and possibly lighten the unit by a few grams.

I liked the bezel as it kept the screen cleaner when holding the unit and, with the unit in a case, it spaced the closed cover away from the screen which to me decreased the chance of screen scratching or breakage during handling and transport.
For me, it made the screen *less* clean, because a lot of dirt used to accumulate in the corners of the screen (the bezel's inner edges) and it was next to impossible to remove. This never happens with bezel-less designs, and unless the case is unbelievably filthy dirt never adheres enough when you close the case to stick: it takes literally a second to rub off. (And I'm in the UK. I know sticky mud.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
There are pros and cons. With the recessed, I would get irritated with the dusk and dirt pieces that would gather in the edges --- but the screen itself seemed to stay cleaned based on the material, no smudges, and was better contrast and sharper. That isn't necessarily from being recessed, but I liked having the indentation to keep it slightly separate. With the flushed screen no dirt and such in the edges, but more smudges and I find the screen lesser, at least in comparison with PW3 and PW4
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
All current Kindle reader models have eliminated the raised bezel that used to surround the screen. The only reasons I can see for the elimination are to slightly decrease the overall unit thickness and possibly lighten the unit by a few grams
My understanding is that the flush screen helps with waterproofing, as it eliminates space for water (and debris) to get inside the device.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Actually, the current "basic" kindle still has a recessed screen, so the premise that all current kindles have a flush screen is fake news.
EDIT: Attached cropped potato-quality picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191210_191356.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	175514  

Last edited by binaryhermit; 12-10-2019 at 08:18 PM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Bezels are bad!

In fact, if you repeat the word rapidly (say about 10 times) it even begins to sound bad.

Here, I'll help you:

Bezels. Bezels. Bezels. Bezels. Bezels. Bezels. Bezels. Bezels. Bezels. Bezels.

It sounds like the measles, and we all know those are bad. As well, I can almost hear the word Jeff in there.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-11-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I must be the odd one out in agreeing with the OP. I love bezels! They protect the screen and provide a tactile distinction between screen and not-screen. Easier to hold onto too. If the reader falls face down, the bezel would protect it.

I hope any future ereader I buy will have a bezel.

BRING BACK THE BEZEL!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
So you're saying Richwood is like nature: they have an inordinate fondness for bezels? (sorry, I had to say it, even if it only works in some accents)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I must be the odd one out in agreeing with the OP. I love bezels! They protect the screen and provide a tactile distinction between screen and not-screen. Easier to hold onto too. If the reader falls face down, the bezel would protect it.

I hope any future ereader I buy will have a bezel.

BRING BACK THE BEZEL!
You can add your own bezel (provided it does not interfere with page turn buttons that may be there). It could be as crude as a piece of plastic or cardboard of the desired thickness that you have cut to the size of the eReader, with the display area cut out, attached with some adhesive. Or 3D print such a thing with a more refined design (beveled edges etc.) and sell it on Amazon and become a millionaire.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-11-2019 at 04:44 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Some Folio cases offered on Amazon add a screen surround that is effectively a bezel. I have such cases for the Kindle Paperwhite, Voyage and the Oasis, versions 2 and 3. ACdream is one seller and Fintie is another. Very protective cases IMO but bulkier than the hardshell back clip-in commoner cases offered by many sellers, including the two mentioned.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Bezels are bad!

In fact, if you repeat the word rapidly (say about 10 times) it even begins to sound bad.

Here, I'll help you:

It sounds like the measles, and we all know those are bad. As well, I can almost hear the word Jeff in there.
The Devil's new son is called BezelBub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #15
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Some Folio cases offered on Amazon add a screen surround that is effectively a bezel. I have such cases for the Kindle Paperwhite, Voyage and the Oasis, versions 2 and 3. ACdream is one seller and Fintie is another. Very protective cases IMO but bulkier than the hardshell back clip-in commoner cases offered by many sellers, including the two mentioned.
I've got one of the Finitie cases, it looks a bit like a book. The Paperwhite I have has a bezel and I'm not sure the case adds much depth. I tend to rotate my cases to keep the kindle feeling 'new'.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote