Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #2221
falconz
falconz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
@NiLuJe, thank you, that helps/explains a lot!
falconz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #2222
sengottaian
sengottaian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4.0.1
Kindle 4.0.1

Can i try the same jail break tool in kindle 4.If not pls giv me link to jail break and install the fonts.Thanks in advance
sengottaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #2223
snapper.fishes
Forever Junior Member
snapper.fishes began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Tab Ultra C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengottaian View Post
Can i try the same jail break tool in kindle 4.If not pls giv me link to jail break and install the fonts.Thanks in advance
What's a kindle 4? Is it touch or non touch?
snapper.fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #2224
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper.fishes View Post
What's a kindle 4? Is it touch or non touch?
It's non-touch. The Kindle Touch is a totally different thing.

Kindle 4:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eReader.../dp/B0051QVESA
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #2225
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Anyway, no, it won't work on newer Kindles, be it a K4 or a K5. Check the forum/wiki for those.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #2226
Dick Cheeseman
Dick Cheeseman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 3G
Do I need to uninstall hacks?

I installed the jailbreak hack (version 0.6.N) and the screensaver hack (version 0.20.N) ten months ago just after getting my new Kindle 3. It now has a display problem and probably has to go back to Amazon under warranty.

I'm worried the hacks could invalidate Amazon's warranty. Can anyone confirm whether I'm going to be in trouble if I send the kindle back as is? Or must I uninstall the hacks first?

I'd really appreciate guidance on how to uninstall them if that's necessary!

Thanks in advance,

DC.
Dick Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #2227
Dick Cheeseman
Dick Cheeseman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 3G
Supplementary question:

If I have to return my Kindle so Amazon can replace it under warranty, will a factory reset hide all traces of the jailbreak and screensaver hacks I installed? All I'm looking for is to make sure they don't have any reason not to replace it!
Dick Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #2228
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Cheeseman View Post
Supplementary question:

If I have to return my Kindle so Amazon can replace it under warranty, will a factory reset hide all traces of the jailbreak and screensaver hacks I installed? All I'm looking for is to make sure they don't have any reason not to replace it!
No, it won't. You have to first uninstall (using the uninstall.bin files) for each hack you did after installing the Jailbreak hack, and then uninstall the Jailbreak hack, and then do a factory reset. This is why it is important to keep track of just what hacks you installed.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #2229
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even then, there'll still be traces left in the system logs. YMMY, but I've yet to hear from someone Amazon denied an RMA because of (software) hacks.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-08-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #2230
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Even then, there's still be traces left in the system logs. YMMY, but I've yet to hear from someone Amazon denied an RMA because of (software) hacks.
Traces because the uninstall.bin files don't actually remove everything the install.bin hacks did, or just logs and whatnot that would be altered because of these particular hacks, or both? Just curious.

Either way, think of the times you took something back at a store. 99.99% of the customer service folks you give the returning product to, all they do is open it up, check to see if all the pieces are there, that it is in great condition, and perhaps, even turn it on to see if it actually does that. I am sure people at Amazon do similar. So I doubt you have anything to worry about.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #2231
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Because the hacks themselves and the update process both use the logging system .
Old 01-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #2232
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Because the hacks themselves and the update process both use the logging system .
Gotcha.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #2233
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Keep in mind that a factory reset will also kill (almost, if not) all relevant log files . (I missed/forgot about the factory reset mentions in the original post, but as long as it's done once everything's gone, you should end up with a nearly vanilla Kindle).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-08-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #2234
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Keep in mind that a factory reset will also kill (almost, if not) all relevant log files . (I missed/forgot about the factory reset mentions in the original post, but as long as it's done once everything's gone, you should end up with a nearly vanilla Kindle).
Oh, that was what I meant. I figured a factory reset would remove all traces, so long as the hacks were removed properly beforehand. Anyway, a nearly vanilla Kindle should be good enough. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #2235
sirca
sirca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hi, I`m new in this forum but I`ve got a Kindle Keyboard since a year.

I recently had to remove the jailbreak because it gave me problems to order the books and collections. This happened because I have upgraded (automatically wifi) to firmware 3.3 with the jailbreak from the first versions.

Now I have restored factory settings and I have the firmware 3.3.
The question, there is any way to do jailbreak with firmware 3.3? I would like to change the screensavers again

Edit: Sorry if my english isn`t good enough
sirca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet