Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by harold1066 View Post
I agree with this; I made the .mobi for the kindle and uploaded it to Amazon and it looked nice.

The mobi made by Smashwords was terrible and I had to delete it, I only allow the epub, .pdf, and .rtf; although the .rtf seems to be corrupt
I had a look at your ePub sample from Smashwords and the code is awful. The CSS is rather bad too. I hate to say, but it needs to be cleaned up and put someplace else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #92
harold1066
harold1066 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I had a look at your ePub sample from Smashwords and the code is awful. The CSS is rather bad too. I hate to say, but it needs to be cleaned up and put someplace else.

That may explain why I'm not selling any All of this is really just an experiment for me at the moment. Apart from Amazon and smashwords not sure where else you can place ebook files.

Last edited by harold1066; 05-10-2011 at 01:10 PM.
harold1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #93
Lucid_Dreamer
Andrew Kincaid
Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I have my book on Kindle, Smashwords, and Nook. It looks good on Kindle and Nook so far, but I don't have the readers to look on Smashwords. The PDF looked good though.

I expect most of my sales to come from Kindle so that's where I focus most of my marketing. I'm just worried the thing won't sell! But it's only been two days haha
Lucid_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid_Dreamer View Post
I have my book on Kindle, Smashwords, and Nook. It looks good on Kindle and Nook so far, but I don't have the readers to look on Smashwords. The PDF looked good though.

I expect most of my sales to come from Kindle so that's where I focus most of my marketing. I'm just worried the thing won't sell! But it's only been two days haha
When you say nook, do you mean you published it direct to B&N? Doesn't B&N get eBooks from Smashwords?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #95
Lucid_Dreamer
Andrew Kincaid
Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Lucid_Dreamer is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

They do, I just decided to publish mine straight to B&N and use smashwords for whatever other platforms.
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just recently found how you can publish via B&N direct. So you can make an ePub eBook how you want and then publish it via B&N as is. That's good. Smashwords is just not good.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #97
Lucid_Dreamer
Andrew Kincaid

Yeah I'm very underwhelmed by it but I'll keep my book their anyway. I think Kindle is the best and biggest so far. It's the one I mainly market.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah I'm very underwhelmed by it but I'll keep my book their anyway. I think Kindle is the best and biggest so far. It's the one I mainly market.
How about making an ePub you are happy with a publishing at B&N? Then you can push that version as well.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #99
Lucid_Dreamer
Andrew Kincaid

That's what I did. The one I published at B&N looked pretty good as far as I could see with their previewer. Heck I've even sold a copy there which is more than I've done at smashwords! (The books only been up 2 or 3 days give or take so this is all in its infancy)
Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's what I did. The one I published at B&N looked pretty good as far as I could see with their previewer. Heck I've even sold a copy there which is more than I've done at smashwords! (The books only been up 2 or 3 days give or take so this is all in its infancy)
Well done! I like having options that are going to be worth my time. With a lot of Smashwords eBooks, I have to open it up and really go over it to fix the mess. It's not fun and I prefer not to have to do that.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #101
Lucid_Dreamer
Andrew Kincaid

oh yeah definitely. Like I said I think Kindle is the best one. Better distribution and stuff. I'm just finding it difficult to market the thing...but then I'm probably just stressing myself out too much. Then again it's tough to make your voice heard out there!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #102
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just recently found how you can publish via B&N direct. So you can make an ePub eBook how you want and then publish it via B&N as is. That's good. Smashwords is just not good.
I'm kinda leery because I think my epub on Smashwords doesn't look as good as it could. But when I checked out B&N to publish directly through them... they want an EFT number and a credit card. Amazon lets you accept check payments.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #103
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
Spoke with an author giving a presentation on his books at Chapters in Canada. He told me that he is not and will not sell his ebooks through Chapters because they offer only half the royalty of his paper books. He sells his ebooks himself.
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #104
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
Spoke with an author giving a presentation on his books at Chapters in Canada. He told me that he is not and will not sell his ebooks through Chapters because they offer only half the royalty of his paper books. He sells his ebooks himself.
Makes me wonder what their royalty rates are. Amazon gives either 35% or 75% depending on which you choose. He must have a good deal through his print publishers, that or Chapters screws people over.

I could have sent my stuff through a publishing company, but there were so many listings and they try to make things as hard as possible--not accepting new authors, you need an agent, it will be 4 months before we even tell you we got your manuscript and you can't send it anywhere else, blah, blah.

The fact that my stuff is so hard to fit into any one genre makes it hard too. I guess I just didn't want to be labeled. And to pick my own label and have someone glance at my synopsis and toss my manuscript away because it doesn't match their niche...
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #105
abr
abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.abr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
I'm not sure what that author told you makes any sense. Chapter's sells ebooks through Kobo. Independents can list with them, but they like independents to have ten tittles, or recommend using smashwords or one of several other approved content aggregators. The royalty rate depends on several factors, but they are in the same range as most other outlets for self-publishers and small publishing companies. Like the other fellow said, he must have a great deal with his print publisher.
abr is offline   Reply With Quote