Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Problem with books not showing up after hooking up to USB

I'm having a weird issue with my K1

I put a 1 GB SD card I had laying around in it and hooked it up to my computer to check things out. Just looked around in My Computer and Calibre but didn't do anything (other than send a couple books from the device to the disk in calibre to test how that worked for backing up).

When I unhooked it from the PC (did the eject thing first like you would with a flash drive) and the home screen loaded back up several books weren't showing anymore--including some free books from Feedbooks and some books the previous owner left (though some of his are still showing up).

When I hook it back up to the computer and check the Documents folder all of the books are showing up. I've done the "show all" on the sort option and reset the Kindle several times.

Any idea what's going on here? Very frustrating to say the least.

I can redownload the feedbook ones (though I don't get why they're showing on the drive but not showing up in home), but I'm more worried with one of the previous owner books I was about 3/4ths through as I'll be pissed if I have to buy it when it should still be on there as it shows up on the drive.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 03-15-2009 at 02:49 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Just do a reset so the home page gets rebuilt.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've reset a few times doesn't seem to help.

I'm at a loss here. I tried copying to the SD card and loading from there--but it has the same problem with the same books just showing up in both storage locations and the same ones not showing up at all.

What I have noticed is that for the books that won't show up some of the files are 0 kb. i.e. for the Amazon books the .azw file is 0 kb, but the mbp file has size listed. For the free feedbooks the .mobi files are 0kb (and are the only file). Where as the amazon books still showing up have file size for both the .azw and the .mbp files.

So could the files have gotten corrupted somehow?

Am I out of look and just need to buy the book I was reading that the owner left on their and redownload the feedbooks ones?

Last edited by dmaul1114; 03-15-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
If a reset isn't helping, I suggest you contact Amazon if you can't figure it out. They've always been extremely helpful to me.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Does this behavior occur with other SD cards? I had an Adata SD card that was faulty and could bring any device to its knees. It actually severely stunned my Kindle 1 but after discharging and recharging the battery the Kindle was fine. Same SD card caused my Palm T|X to go into a reset loop where it continuously reset itself and caused the dreaded Blue Screen on my PC. That card promptly went into the electronic recycling box. Try another card.

Is the card formatted to FAT32? Check to be sure.

If this doesn't help, definitely contact Amazon CS.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard

I don't have any other SD cards, or a card reader to check the format (it was in a Nintendo Wii before).

I took out the SD card and reset the Kindle but still not getting those missing books to show up.

Guess I'll have to give them a call in a bit.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If the files are 0KB, sounds like they did get corrupted. You'll have to re-download the missing free books As for the AZW books you bought from Amazon, you will be able to re-download those for free from Amazon as well.

My guess is the SD card is bad, and you need a new SD card. While you still can, recopy all the books off the SD card and onto your computer or Kindle. Delete all the 0 KB books. I think you can keep the MBP files and use those on the newly downloaded AZW replacement books but I'm not positive.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, that's what they said, the files either got corrupted by the SD card (but probably not as I had none of the files on the SD card and didn't do anything with it), or I unplugged it once without disconnecting first or something.

Sucks as one of the Amazon books not showing up was one the old owner left on their that I was reading, so I'll have to pay for it to finish it. :-( Crap, I knew I shouldn't have played around with anything before finishing that book!

Anyway, as per the earlier post, just checked the card while in the Kindle and hooked up USB and it was FAT rather than FAT32 so maybe that had something to do with it. Formatting it to FAT32 now. Probably unecessary as when I tried copying everything to the SD card it was fine reading the non-corrupted books off the SD card already. But better safe than sorry I guess

Doubt that will fix anything since it looks like those files are dead. So I'll just buy American Lion myself so I can finish it ($9.99 down the tubes) and delete all the 0KB files and redownload everything and hope that it's good to go in the future.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 03-15-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard

Bought American Lion and redownloaded the free books plus a few more. All seems good now though I haven't hooked up to the PC/Calibre again yet. Will play around with that later and make sure I don't have problems again.

EDIT: Hooked it up, backed all my books up to the PC using Calibre and have no problems (have the SD card in, but nothing on it yet, but seemed fine from testing it earlier).

Just bad luck I guess, must have pulled the USB out with out disconnecting once, or it was from when I tried to use my usual USB cable which is hooked to my monitor and it did nothing (assume it didn't have enough power) before using another USB cable to the front USB ports directly on the PC etc.

Oh well, just out the $10 for American Lion, and for another book I was thinking of reading that the prior owner had left on there--naturally the other books of his that I have no interest in are fine!

Last edited by dmaul1114; 03-15-2009 at 06:54 PM.