Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #46
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
My most rewarding reads this year:

Fiction
Loving by Henry Green
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor

Non-fiction
Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets by Svetlana Alexievich
East West Street by Philippe Sands
The Work of the Dead by Thomas Laqueur
Madness Rules the Hour: Charleston, 1860, and the Mania for War by Paul Starobin

The only book published in 2017 was Madness Rules The Hour.

Prompted by viewing The Man Who Invented Christmas, I am rereading A Christmas Carol. I can remember being amazed by it when I first read it when I was about 9 or 10. I got that feeling again this time around; a ground-breaking book in many ways.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
My most rewarding reads this year:

Fiction
Loving by Henry Green
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor
Clearly I need to read Mrs. Palfrey, since your other three fiction choices are on my all-time list!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #48
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
Favorites from 2017:

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
My Favorite Thing is Monsters by Emil Ferris
The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #49
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Second hand time was a great read. I forget who suggested it to me, I know it was on mobile read.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #50
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Dean Koontz The Silent Corner and the sequel The Whispering Room. His best books yet and Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I am weary of trying new Arthors but a friend recomended Cryptonominicon. Not sure how to spell that LOL but it was a difficult read. I loved Seveneves.

I did not read a whole lot of books but I read the Pharmisist of Auschwiz which was good. My mom was born in WW 2 Germany so I have a natural connection to the topic. and this book was not about the Holocost in general but one particular man. It talked about his role in the camp and the trials after the camp was liberated.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
OK, technically I finished it today, not yesterday, but I read most of it in 2017.

I'm going to add a book to my list of favourite books this year -- Fadeout, by Joseph Hansen. The first of the Dave Brandstetter mysteries, and my nomination for A Rainbow of Reading. I first read this book many, many years ago, and I'm quite pleased that it has, mostly, stood the test of time. A good mystery, and a classic.

Last edited by CRussel; 01-01-2018 at 08:06 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #52
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This thread is great. So many good recommendations! Here are a few of my favorite reads this year.

1. Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
2. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
3. All is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker
4. Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse
5. The Wonder by Emma Donoghue
6. Prince Charles by Sally Bedell Smith
7. This is a Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett
8. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
9. Nora Webster by Colm Tobin
10. Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #53
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.

I liked it so much that I went out of my way to secure a paperback copy for my daughter, (who prefers physical books) who I knows loves the same books I do.
I enjoyed this book too. It was just announced as the winner of the 2017 Costa Book Award for First Novel.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #54
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Favorite book published in 2017
  • Beneath a Scarlet Sky (four stars) - based on a true story, and optioned for a movie. This book tells the life of Pino Lella toward the end of WW2 from the Italian perspective.
I wanted to nominate this book for the New Leaf Book Club since it's getting great reviews and seems very interesting. Sadly it didn't meet the nomination rules since it isn't older than one year. However you just convinced me to make my first book purchase of 2018. It's currently $2.49 at Amazon. Tom Holland is to be the lead actor in the movie.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #55
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Well I really enjoy adventure, crime and thriller books. But that's the first time that I tried fantasy and I just loved it!

Fantasy
The Warded Man - Peter V. Brett

Adventure
The Kill Order - James Dashner
Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton

Thriller
Pines - Blake Crouch
Follow you Home - Mark Edwards
The Magpies - Mark Edwards
The Patient - Michael Palmer
I Kill - Giorgio Faletti

Last edited by Blas; 01-03-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #56
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post

Pines - Justin Cronin

Could you provide a link to this?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #57
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could you provide a link to this?
I'd like to apologize cuz I wrote the wrong name of the autor for this book. The right autor from Pines is Blake Crouch. And the only link that I have is for the portuguese version. In case you understand I can share haha

Justin Cronin is the autor of The Passage another book that I read last year.

[EDIT]I found the a link for the english version, is it ok to share here?

Last edited by Blas; 01-03-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #58
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
I'd like to apologize cuz I wrote the wrong name of the autor for this book. The right autor from Pines is Blake Crouch. And the only link that I have is for the portuguese version. In case you understand I can share haha

Justin Cronin is the autor of The Passage another book that I read last year.

[EDIT]I found the a link for the english version, is it ok to share here?
FWIW, I was asking for a link to a description, review, Amazon, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:57 AM   #59
Blas
Ulica Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
FWIW, I was asking for a link to a description, review, Amazon, ...
Oh got it now my bad

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pines-Wayward.../dp/B007FG9LIE
Old 01-07-2018, 12:32 AM   #60
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Here's My Year in Books from Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_...s/2017/1637717
If I don't finish a book I don't add it to Goodreads.

And some notable short stories I read:

Billenium by J.G. Ballard
The Sea Was Wet As Wet Can Be by Gahan Wilson
Crimes and Glory by Paul McAuley
Built Up Logically by Howard Schoenfeld
Near Zennor by Elizabeth Hand
Watchbird by Robert Sheckley
But at My Back I Always Hear by David Morrell
Button, Button by Richard Matheson
Mr Lupescu by Anthony Bloucher
Voluntary State by Christopher Rowe
The Circular Ruins by Jorge Luis Borges
The Lottery of Babylon by Jorge Luis Borges
The Garden of Forking Paths by Jorge Luis Borges
Forty Counting Down by Harry Turtledove
Twenty-one Counting Up by Harry Turtledove
Luella Miller by Mary E. Wilkins Freeman
The Cocoon by John B. L. Goodwin
Bloodchild by Octavia Butler
Speech Sounds by Octavia Butler
Pretty Boy Crossover by Pat Cadigan
Casey Agonistes by Richard McKenna

Last edited by BenG; 01-09-2018 at 11:53 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, best of, favorite books