Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Penguin ends library/Overdrive relationship starting tomorrow

Starting tomorrow Penguin will no longer license ebooks for lending to libraries through Overdrive. Current books will remain but no new works will be available through Overdrive connected libraries. ebooks OR audiobooks. They also havent yet settled on a new partner like 3m.

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-p...raries-at-all/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Penguin can do whatever they want. However, the rediculously bad formatting of books like Dune, coupled with this recent action, means I no longer am willing to spend ANY money on their books.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
My guess is that the others will follow suit in short order. Hope I'm wrong about that.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So of the Big 6 all we have left are Harper Collins who limit a book to 26 checkouts before a library has to rebuy and Random House who are raising their prices to libraries, but have commited to sticking with library lending without restrictions (so far).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-10-2012 at 04:35 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Ironically the thing that they were just worried about not getting a sale about, is DEFINITELY going to happen.

May 29th they were going to have a very happy and proud buyer of the physical copy of "Prisoner of Tehran" by Marina Nemat, which Canada Reads alerted me to, and I read the e-book via library loan, cover to cover, and put it on my list of books I want to BUY. It is published by Penguin.

(May 29th is my birthday and my in-laws usually give me a nice sized bit of money to spend).

The reason I wanted to BUY Prisoner of Tehran is because I got the luxury of knowing that this is not a throwaway trend of a read for me. It is one that will pay for itself in re-read after re-read, and dog-eared pages.

THOSE are the kinds of books I buy. And as I stated in the poll thread, the way I discover which books fit that bill is to not buy blind, but preview at the library. I borrow and return an awful lot of books, and every now and then a book cuts me to the gut and says "You want to read me again and again don't you!" and I daydream about owning the book.

I read a ton of things, but I OWN books that have a special place IN MY HEART. They work their way into my heart through the public library. E-books had me being a patron more and more of the library and discovering new books.

I considered my t1 purchase around the very idea that e-book lending was so easy.

Penguin, you lost a customer through your paranoia and IDIOCY, not through library lending. That actually almost got you a loyal customer.

Sorry for almost repeating a word for word rant here. I am so sad I am choked up, over this. Ironically enough, I can't even get to the library by bus because Halifax transit is in a labor strike
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So of the Big 6 all we have left are Harper Collins who limit a book to 26 checkouts before a library has to rebuy and Random House who are raising their prices to libraries, but have commited to sticking with library lending without restrictions (so far).
Hachette stills allows library lending; except for frontlist titles.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hachette stills allows library lending; except for frontlist titles.
Oh, they do? I didn't knwo that. I thought they quit offering titles a while back (and libraries just had access to what they'd "bought" before that).

Do you know how big of a window there is before a title becomes available?

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-10-2012 at 04:44 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
Cue Penguin's death spiral in 5...4...3...2...1....

But seriously, how does this help sales or authors? Most of the books from new authors I read are digital. I discover almost all of my new authors from checking books out from the library, if it isn't in the library, I probably won't hear about it, so I won't try it, so I won't buy it.

How can they think that this will end well? Haven't the been watching what has been going on in the recorded music/movie industries? They've trying to do the same things. How well has it worked for them?

Of course any resulting sales losses will probably be blamed on piracy.

I'm really starting to think that all the old media companies just need to die so they can be replaced by ones that actually get these things.

Also this is the same thing they've been wanting to do with physical books sales to libraries but haven't been able to (it would be illegal, right of first sale and all that). It really shows the problems that occur when the publishers control the sales to the only sources of e-books for libraries (if they block sales to OverDrive or others the libraries have no other source).

I have never seen any credible research that says library lending has ever been anything but a net positive for publishers.

Last edited by Keroberos; 02-10-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Oh, they do? I didn't knwo that. I thought they quit offering titles a while back (and libraries just had access to what they'd "bought" before that).

Do you know how big of a window there is before a title becomes available?
You're correct. Hachette no longer offers any ebooks. They terminated their contract with Overdrive. I believe it was last year around Kindle joining

Looking at my Overdrive's listing and all Hachette books have been removed.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
Cue Penguin's death spiral in 5...4...3...2...1....
In a couple months we'll have a new article.

"Oh, hey guys. Sorry about that. We here at Penguin misplaced our brains. We're back to jump back into the Overdrive biz!"
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i bet they actually switch to 3m
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
What would make 3M more attractive to them?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
You're correct. Hachette no longer offers any ebooks. They terminated their contract with Overdrive. I believe it was last year around Kindle joining

Looking at my Overdrive's listing and all Hachette books have been removed.
A lot of this seems to be aimed, even indirectly, at Amazon's policy for how you borrow Kindle books.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
What would make 3M more attractive to them?
More friction. Borrowing from the 3M Cloud library occurs in the physical library, not online.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
So retarded! I wrote an email to Penguin just because it was really annoying to me. I have found alot of good indie titles on amazon, for free or low cost, so I am in no way short of reading material. I will still read the occasional bestseller, but I will just go to the used bookstore or get the paper version from the library. When will the stupid publishers realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot? Have they not seen the writing on the wall? Have they not learned anything from the music industry?
MP3's are now way more common than even cd's. I don't even know of any real dedicated music store around me. People will go to the big box stores for their cd's. I fear that this will be the same with books in the future. the thing is, the music industry didn't really believe that it was going to happen, or maybe hoped that it wouldn't. Well the publishers have seen it and should be better prepared. I mean you can rent cd's and mp3's from the library, so whats the big deal with ebooks. It seems a natural thing. As to the publishers thinking that it is going to prevent piracy. Fat chance. Piracy doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon even with the big hoopla in congress, it will just become even more underground than it already is. I say give up the fight against libraries as they are a good thing.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote