Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
tshot
tshot began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
PDF with diagrams/images

I have a kindle and i am using Calibre (on Linux) to convert PDF to mobi. But i am not getting a proper format for a book from (Head First series).

So how should i convert the book, I have it in pdf format
tshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be perfectly honest... you probably shouldn't convert it. Any automated conversion process will likely result in unsatisfactory results. This is because of the nature of the PDF format itself—not the conversion process. PDF is usually considered a "final destination" for a document (and it got to that destination via a one-way bridge that was burned after crossing it).

You might be better off cropping it, making sure it's properly sized for a 6" screen and just reading it in its original PDF format on the Kindle. Less headaches that way.

Other than that... using ABBYY Finereader and manually proofing the HTML results before converting to MOBI is the best method I've found. But it's often more trouble than what it's worth.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
So, are you going to re-publish this book, or is it just so you can read it on your Kindle? Too many steps involved with getting a book into Kindle from PDF...too much editing required (although I use OCR...OmniPage...and get a PDF into an editable Word file...but tons of editing required...as well as formatting.) The cropping to 6" screen sounds like a better idea. Did you know that you can read "docs" on your Kindle (there's an email address assigned to you that you send the doc to) but I think it's probably for Word docs and not PDFs.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Just to be clear, if you email a .doc file to your Kindle, it is converted to .mobi format, so you are not, in fact, reading a .doc file on the Kindle, but a .mobi file. You can also do this with PDF files, if you put "Convert" in the subject line, but again, it is an automated process, and the PDF file may not convert well.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote