Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
fireman0174
fireman0174 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need to return Kindle

My Kindle, purchased in August 2011, a few days ago developed a screen that's totally unreadable. So I need to return it for a replacement. It was purchased with an extended warranty, but I can't seem to find the warranty papers. I also have not been able to find a link on the internet that will assist me in returning it.

Can anyone offer assistance?

I was in a car reading a book on the Kindle (not driving of course!!) and put it down on the seat, after closing the cover, when we stopped for coffee. When we got back on the road and after a few miles I picked up the Kindle and I noticed that part of the screen (top) looked like a prior page was "burned" into the display. It's even there when the book is off.

Since then, it has gotten bigger to the point that 90% of the screen is unuseable.

Any assistance in contacting Kindle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
fireman0174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Are you in the US?

Over on the right where it says "Contact Us"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470

Call them first or click the "Call Me" button. They usually call you within 5 minutes. As for the Warranty it depends where you purchased it from. If it is from Amazon they will have it on file. It if is from Square Trade, then you can get the info from their website. If it is from somebody else (like Best Buy etc) then you probably need to find the papers.

Also remember that credit cards usually have extended warranty. For instance, I think American Express comes with 90 days accidental damage. If nothing else works out and you purchased with a cc, you might check into that.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Call Kindle Support (or have them call you back), using the link abookreader gave. Kindle CS is the best in the business, and I'm sure they'll resolve it quickly.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I don't mean to cause you more grief for your loss... But, would it be at all possible to see a picture of the display? I'm curious to see how bad it is.

And, yes, get in touch with their CS. They'll remedy the situation, or at least they should.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The interior glass of your screen is broken.

Amazon Kindle customer service (1-866-321-8851)
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
fireman0174

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I don't mean to cause you more grief for your loss... But, would it be at all possible to see a picture of the display? I'm curious to see how bad it is.

And, yes, get in touch with their CS. They'll remedy the situation, or at least they should.
Contacted Kindle this past Tuesday. After some discussion with the representative, a replacement was ordered and was received within 24 hours at a hotel I was staying at. Cannot say enough good things about their response. Absolutely wonderful service.

Uploaded a photo of the screen - not very clear, but it does show the problem. As someone posted it appears to be a broken glass, but there was nothing wrong with it when I put the Kindle down on the car seat, but broken when I picked it up some 5-10 minutes later. Strange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02025.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	79828  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman0174 View Post
As someone posted it appears to be a broken glass, but there was nothing wrong with it when I put the Kindle down on the car seat, but broken when I picked it up some 5-10 minutes later. Strange.
It could have been something that happened hours/days earlier that took a while to spiderweb out.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It could have been something that happened hours/days earlier that took a while to spiderweb out.
And if it was cold enough, that could have caused it to continue fracturing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #9
fireman0174

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And if it was cold enough, that could have caused it to continue fracturing.
It wasn't cold all that might be defined more by where you live. It was in the low to mid 40sF.

Although if it was slightly cracked and I didn't notice it as it was still dark oitside perhaps the vibration of driving expanded the initial crack?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman0174 View Post

Although if it was slightly cracked and I didn't notice it as it was still dark oitside perhaps the vibration of driving expanded the initial crack?
Yes. Just like a broken windshield.