Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question How soon is too soon?

In this thread, user mattlynn mentions a new book he's written set during the recent unrest in Libya. He's been criticised, though I'm glad to note that the discussion stayed civilised

I don't really want to talk about that particular book, but I do want to ask the question: how long should an author wait before writing a novel set during tragic events? Or, for that matter, a non-fiction book about those events? There are lots of novels set during WW2, and lots of non-fiction covering various aspects of the war, and I've never seen any of the authors criticised for trying to make money from other people's suffering.

I'm guessing that the events in Libya are too recent, and that's why this book has been criticised. I may be wrong, of course - those criticising might feel the same way about a book set during the Wars of the Roses, say.

So, should an author wait for a while before writing a novel set during, or a non-fiction book about, traumatic events? If so, how long? Is the period the same for fiction and non-fiction?
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
I think for fiction, it might be easier to tap into the immediate emotion of the moment if a book is written and released soon after, and for non-fiction, there's always some need for current data. That said, there is always some type of information that is revealed later that may shed more light on the situation, or the situation changes so quickly that a lot of times the non-fiction book is irrelevant soon after publication.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
No one has any moral or ethical right to demand some topic not be addressed.

The people attacking the book have a plank in their own eye, to quote an over used but accurate biblical metaphor.

If they don't want to read it, fine. If they wish to debate the particulars, that is fine too. But shut up its not okay to talk about it? If someone is wrong here it is not the author.

Last edited by Phogg; 09-23-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I see no reason to wait, if people do not want to read it no one is forcing them too.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I think the main advantage to waiting is that one gains some historical perspective and context for the events. I expect something different from a book than I do from newspaper reporting.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My only oppinion is that the author should state his/her credentials for writting the book, for example the author lives in Lybia and/or fought in the recent revolution or fought on brotherly leader gadafi's military (by the way, I saw that on wikipedia that was gadaffi's formal title http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi).
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It is strictly a matter of taste and approach; there is nothing inherently immoral or unethical in writing about recent or ongoing affairs. But *how* you go about it will make a difference.
It is all about perception.

As a baseline, non-fiction can be as current as can be as long as it is not *perceived* as exploitation or propaganda but rather information. Of course, since one person's "information" is another's "propaganda" or "disinformation"... It is possible to be too current and be presenting incomplete or inaccurate portrayals to people who "know" different.

Fiction has all those downsides but magnified as it is not generally assumed to be informational so the kneejerk reaction of the masses is that a too-current subject or setting is exploitation and intentional provocation. Mostly because it *has* happened in the past.

How soon is too soon?
World War II is generally safe because most of the participants are dead and there is a "consensus" of sorts as to who were the white hats and the black hats. So pretty much anything is fair game. (Just don't bring up Dresden. And be careful how you portray the nazis if you don't want to be banned in Germany.)

Afghanistan? It is an ongoing, shadowy affair that tramples pretty much everybody's sensibilities for one reason or another so you'd better be careful or out to provoke.

Everything else in between?
Depends on whose sensibilities are at stake and whose politics are impacted.
And since these days pretty much everything is political...

"There be dragons..."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
fjotes is correct there is no moral implications here, however if the author states up front that this is one person's oppinion and account of the events I don't think anyone would falt the author. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one can fault the author for leaving things out or not interpreting things the way they do becuase no one has a full appreciation for all aspects of the events in lybia.

As an undergraduate one of the things that I took classes in is the retoric of argument, which means the art of argument. One of the things that we learned is to point to an excepted authority of certain aspects of the issue at hand such as Mirriam and Webster, who is excepted as the authority on the definition of words. Where I am going with this is to suggest using wikipedia as an authority on the history of lybia and reference wikipedia as it is generaly an excepted authority on history and it will talk about the brotherly leader's rise to authority.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
As an undergraduate one of the things that I took classes in is the retoric of argument, which means the art of argument. One of the things that we learned is to point to an excepted authority of certain aspects of the issue at hand such as Mirriam and Webster, who is excepted as the authority on the definition of words. Where I am going with this is to suggest using wikipedia as an authority on the history of lybia and reference wikipedia as it is generaly an excepted authority on history and it will talk about the brotherly leader's rise to authority.
PLEASE learn the difference between the words "accepted" and "excepted". Contrary to what you believe, they don't mean the same thing, and make your posts very difficult to understand.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Michael Wallace
Writer
Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle/Nook
I have to admit that I felt squeamish about 9/11 books written soon after the attacks, but at some point we have to have discussions about all events. The Holocaust has been fertile ground for writers for several decades now and there are few events that maintain the power to shock over generations.
Michael Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
E. S. Lark
E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E. S. Lark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think you can write something too soon after an event. Looking back on 9/11, books came out shortly after it happened. Thing is, everyone has a choice. If the subject is still too raw for them to address, they don't need to read the book right away. However, some individuals heal faster when they have something they can read or relate it.

I think it all comes down to what one wants to do as a writer.
E. S. Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The only problem I can see with writing a book based on an extremely recent event, is you can easily date yourself. For instance, with a book set in Libya, if in real life we find out 6 months from now that Gaddafi has been dead for years, and it really was a body double being used in a form of a puppet government, but the book was written before this any subsequent reads will make the book stand out as flawed to most readers, especially if the book is written in such a way to enforce the older "It's really him" view.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I think the main advantage to waiting is that one gains some historical perspective and context for the events. I expect something different from a book than I do from newspaper reporting.
I think another benefit to waiting is often times the initial news reports or facts can be inaccurate.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
PLEASE learn the difference between the words "accepted" and "excepted". Contrary to what you believe, they don't mean the same thing, and make your posts very difficult to understand.
That's taught in graduate school Harry.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
...issue at hand such as Mirriam and Webster, who is excepted as the authority on the definition of words.
Who is Mirriam and Webster, what is she?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote