Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Hal_9k
Hal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Lewis & Short: An Elementary Latin Dictionary. v0.5. 26 Feb 2011

This is a very basic attempt to transform the Perseus Project's XML Lewis and Short Elementary Latin dictionary into a mobi/Kindle format. You may rather be interested in the smaller but more coherent Latin dictionary based on Whitaker's Words.

There is a development .tar.bz2 file for anyone looking to continue working on the XSLT transformation, and a mobi file for anyone who wants to see how functional the dictionary is at the moment.

Note: this dictionary is very rough! Please feel free to improve the XSLT file! If you're a beginner learning Latin, the alternative dictionary based on Whitaker's Words will be more useful.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Lewis and Short.mobi (2.89 MB, 1502 views)
File Type: bz2 Lewis and Short.tar.bz2 (3.53 MB, 914 views)

Last edited by Hal_9k; 05-22-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Hal_9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_9k View Post
This is a very basic attempt to transform the Perseus Project's XML Lewis and Short Elementary Latin dictionary into a mobi/Kindle format.
How fast can you look up a given word? I don't have a Kindle, so I don't know how the dictionary works. I assume you have to leave the book you're reading, call up the dictionary, type in the word, read the definition, and return to the book, which must take quite some time.

I was thinking about trying to convert this very dictionary, since I always keep a printed copy of Lewis's Elementary handy when reading Latin on my device. It's the only dictionary that's both complete enough to actually be useful and compact enough to be convenient.

An electronic version would be a space saver, but will it be a time saver?
darseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Hal_9k
Hal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enoughHal_9k will become famous soon enough

Lookup is near instantaneous. (it is quite easy for a computer to search a dictionary)

Theoretically you could set the dictionary as the default dictionary so you didn't have to leave the text. Keep in mind though that this file isn't currently very usable. I posted it more as a proof of concept as I currently lack the time to improve it. Load it up with the Kindle Previewer software, or the standalone computer application to have a look.

Last edited by Hal_9k; 01-02-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_9k View Post
Load it up with the Kindle Previewer software, or the standalone computer application to have a look.
I assume this software is Windows-only, and all I have is Linux. But thanks for the reply.

Are you interested in the Classics? Would you be interested in starting an online ebook database for Latin and Greek?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Hal_9k

I only run Ubuntu, but use the software with WINE. I mostly work from printed materials, but the dictionary was just something that could save time. I suppose you have already heard of the Perseus project.
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
darseno
Connoisseur

I also prefer printed books, but they're so expensive and bulky. I like to take my reading material with me everywhere I go. I always worry about damaging my precious books.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
iohannes_brun
iohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Android
I did a similar job, I converted this dictionary into various formats:
- Kindle .mobi (with full definitions - so it's a little bit bigger than your version)
- StarDict format (computer, Android, iPhone)
- epub (searching only through Table of Contents)

(Everything for free just with a voluntary contribution.)

See my webpage: www.litteraelatinae.eu .

I managed also to create a Kindle-version that can handle the forms of words (with some exceptions and limitations - it's only an experimental version) - so you don't have to search words manually. This new version is now available on Amazon, but I'm going to publish it sometime also on my website .
iohannes_brun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
darseno
Connoisseur

Iohanne,

Antea illud lexicon in forma libri scriptum mecum trahendum erat, quod incommodum est; nunc autem eodem lexico in forma electronica quod benigne componisti in dies utor. Multum latinitati profuisti, care Iohanne, multasque gratias ago quod hoc opus fecisti.

Vale.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
iohannes_brun
iohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enoughiohannes_brun will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Android
Nova versio lexici Ludovici medii

In meo situ nunc nova et multo melior versio lexici Ludovici medii inveniri potest, quae iam et formas (verum etiam ambiguas!) verborum cognoscere valet.

Inspiciatis situm meum. Quod si vobis placebit, parvam donationem quaeso consideretis.
iohannes_brun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
For those who read Latin on the Kindle, it's worth noting that the entries in iohannes_brun's excellent dictionary also contain macrons. The dictionary also recognises words in texts where macrons have been added. Very useful indeed!
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
darseno
Connoisseur

Lewis and Short, A Latin Dictionary

Here is the larger unabridged dictionary that I converted to StarDict and XDXF formats.

Last edited by Jellby; 12-30-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Attachment replaced with link to proper thread
Old 01-02-2015, 06:10 AM   #12
Hal_9k

Thanks for this darseno.

Tags
dictionary, elementary, latin, lewis, short