Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
'Keep' tag?

I just loaded some files onto my Kindle and the have a 'Keep' tag, or label, in front of them. It's in the same place that a sample chapter will say 'Sample' or a new download will say 'New'. Anyone know what the deal is with this tag?

FWIW the books are David Weber books from Baen. IIRC I got them off of the newest Baen CD from last month.

Added a screen shot to better show what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-50097.gif
Views:	373
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	25690  

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-15-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added screen shot
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The only reference I recall regarding "keep" is with periodicals. You have the option to keep individual issues permanently or let them expire at the end of 7 days. Maybe the Kindle recognizes the books as coming from a Baen subscription (something in the metadata perhaps).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...930&#k2keepsub

Quote:
Keeping Subscription Content

Older issues of newspapers and magazines appear inside a grouping called "Periodicals: Back Issues." Selecting the grouping takes you to a screen that displays the back issues you have on your Kindle.

Kindle automatically deletes issues that are more than seven issues old to free up space for new content. An exclamation point next to an issue indicates that it will be deleted within 48 hours. If you'd like to keep a copy of an issue, you need to adjust the settings for each issue you wish to keep.
To keep a back issue:

1. Open the specific issue from the Kindle Home screen.
2. Press the Menu button and select "Keep This Issue."

You will then see the word "keep" to the left of the issue title in Home.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
So this is a subscription download?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
So this is a subscription download?
Not an Amazon subscriptions. Baen does have something called a "Webscription". These books may have been part of that at one time and may have something in the metadata flagging them as subscriptions that the Kindle is picking up.

I actually have these books on my K1, I'll try putting them on K2 to see what happens. I have already fixed the metadata on them so it may not work but I'll give it a try.

Edit: I transfered the books via USB from K1 to K2 and I didn't get any "keep" flags. This may be a "call Amazon" question.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-15-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it must just be an errant flag somewhere. It's not a big deal or anything, just wondered if anyone knew anything about it or had had it happen. I wonder if mobi2mobi or something would show me where the flag is in the metadata.

Thanks for the info Daffy
Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Pruitt
Pruitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Was there an update to your Kindle software? Which version does it say you are running? I'm reading some stuff on the Amazon forums right now that seem to indicate that a new update is being delivered to some people today.
Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Was there an update to your Kindle software? Which version does it say you are running? I'm reading some stuff on the Amazon forums right now that seem to indicate that a new update is being delivered to some people today.
I'm running 2.0.1
Old 03-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I just downloaded a new book (to my computer then to my K2) from Amazon and it has the "keep" tag.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Okay this is weird. After I posted, I turned the Whispernet on and the book I just loaded from my computer with the "keep" tag disappeared from my Kindle. I resent it to my Kindle via Whispernet and now it just has the regular "new" tag.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Pruitt
Pruitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Did your Kindle updated at all?

That's really weird and it's making me scared to turn on Whispernet. I normally have it off. I have a lot of books on my Kindle2 I transferred via USB. Including the one I am currently reading. I definitely don't want it to disappear! lol..
Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
Did your Kindle updated at all?

That's really weird and it's making me scared to turn on Whispernet. I normally have it off. I have a lot of books on my Kindle2 I transferred via USB. Including the one I am currently reading. I definitely don't want it to disappear! lol..
I've been on 2.0.1 for a while and it hasn't updated more than that. I think something is still a little squirrelly with Whispernet.

If you're concerned, copy all your books to your computer. Then Whispernet away. I just finished backing up both of my Kindles.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
metallimax
metallimax began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Yea, Whispernet still seems to be working out some bugs
metallimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Dook
Dook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
this happened to me

turns out the files were flagged "read-only" on my desktop.
Dook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook View Post
turns out the files were flagged "read-only" on my desktop.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out.