Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #16
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The only way to have less page views on any kindle, is to get more information on a screen.
Either by reducing the margins, decreasing the font size, or decreasing the line spacing.
That way your 800 pages may become perhaps 600 pages.
But if your kindle (voyager) has a smaller screen size than your previous e-reader, it'd also only be normal to have more pages to display.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:42 AM   #17
carlese
carlese began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Well, I checked my girlfriend's kobo and also there the pages aren't correct, so you guys are right, the pages are only estimated..

Just another question: I checked my firmware version and even though the "update" button is grayed out, I know that there is a newer firmware around (5.9.2.0.1). How does Amazon roll out the firmware? Should I sideload it for a quicker update?
carlese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #18
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I always download the Kindle updates shortly after they're released and install them. I can't recall ever getting one over the air although I might have forgotten.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All of mine are automatically updated, when synching books.
So far, Amazon is at about 1 to 2 FW updates a year, not all are mandatory.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #20
carlese

Hii guys, thanks a lot for your answers, they are really helping me a lot.. Just another question that someone may found silly:

How do you keep your KV in your hand? I read a lot in my bed and I don't have big hands, so everytime i keep it with one hand I'm afraid it will fall on my face I keep my thumb on the page turner so it's already there when needed, but I don't seem to find a comfortable hold..

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #21
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My hands aren't large and I'm clumsy. As Kindles get smaller and lighter they're harder for me to hold. That's why I'm sticking with Paperwhites. The Amazon cover is great and gives me what I need to hang onto.

I had a Voyage, hated the foo-foo Origami cover, and bought some aftermarket covers. One covered the amber/green light, two had wake/sleep systems that didn't work, and a couple had hard plastic covers that made a 1 degree slope a slip problem.

So, I went back to the Paperwhite with the wonderful, although expensive, Amazon Kindle Cover. I look at my red one, that's filthy, and say, "You're not pretty but you work."
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #22
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlese View Post
Hii guys, thanks a lot for your answers, they are really helping me a lot.. Just another question that someone may found silly:

How do you keep your KV in your hand? I read a lot in my bed and I don't have big hands, so everytime i keep it with one hand I'm afraid it will fall on my face I keep my thumb on the page turner so it's already there when needed, but I don't seem to find a comfortable hold..

Thanks!
I have a simple book-like cover on my Voyage. I open it and fold the cover back, then hold the Voyage with both hands. My left hand holds the edge where the fold is. My right hand holds with my forefinger between the 2 sides of the cover and 3 fingers on the back. This leaves both thumbs free to work the "buttons" from either side.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #23
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I may be wrong and trying to go off memory. maybe its just the oasis I can do that but I could have sworn it was on my voyager when I had one.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #24
ProDigit
Karmaniac

On both my Kindle Paperwhite and Oasis, I use a cover, and a pillow on my belly, to read in bed.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #25
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlese View Post
Hi,

recently my Kobo Glo died (my fault) and I bought a Kindle Voyage.. Well, IMHO the software is just stupid and I have a couple of questions for you:

1) Is is possible to show the REAL page numbers? I converted some epubs that I uses on my kobo (with real page numbers on them) and on my kindle they are completely messed up, like 200 pages on kobo --> 800 on kindle
2) Is there a way to set up the page turners for 2 hands usage? I mean, page turners on the right go forward, page turners on the left go back.. I don't really use it with one hand only..
3) How can I set the lockscreen image with my book cover?

Thanks!

I still think page number view is depended on the book not the device. On my Oasis 2 I just finished The Book of Dust it had no page number option but the book I just started Year One I do have the choice of page number view
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:33 AM   #26
carlese

Guys I used a cover bought from amazon, origami style, and it scratched my voyage on the top left corner How do you deal with those covers? Is there a way to avoid scrathing? I see that the edges are too sharp and the cover is really tight, so if you keep putting it on and taking it off like I do, I'm afraid you will get your kindle scratched..

P.S. it's the third Voyage in a row that has dead pixels.. See attached image

https://imgur.com/a/3TtRG

Last edited by carlese; 01-30-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I still think page number view is depended on the book not the device.
There's no "think" about it - they are. Page numbers come from a separate file with a ".apnx" extension. These days most mainstream publishers provide such a file, but you still find some books without one. If you sideload books with Calibre, it generates page numbers. Not "real" ones, of course, but ones using an algorithm similar to that used for ADE page numbers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #28
carlese

Hello guys, it's me again.. Using my kindle voyage on the beach I scratched the surface.. Now, I found on aliexpress some spare parts just for the digitizer and I found a guide on ifixit to remove the screen, but on other threads I read that the lcd and the digitizer are fused together.. Will I be able to separate them? This is the part I'm talking about:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/L8dMoWjO

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #29
carlese

Any help guys?
Old 08-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #30
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
1 - unless you want to address your question only to them, this forum is not used by «*guys*» only.

2 - you should create a new topic specifically for this question.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote