Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #61
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems the world is conspiring against my resolution to buy no more ebooks until 1st February 2013.

Bust despite the possible rise in price coming, I think I'm going to resist. But I'm glad to have had the opportunity to consider it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #62
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
This writeup at TeleRead by Chris Meadows is very good:

Baen inks deal with Amazon, makes major changes to Webscriptions and Free Library

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #63
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
It's the end of an era...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #64
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
From reading that it looks like prices will be going up across the board...

Quote:
Prices for backlist e-books will be going up, too; instead of $6, e-books of books whose print edition is currently hardcover will be $9.99, trade paperback $8.99, and mass market paperback $6.99
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #65
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
From reading that it looks like prices will be going up across the board...
Quote:
Prices for backlist e-books will be going up, too; instead of $6, e-books of books whose print edition is currently hardcover will be $9.99, trade paperback $8.99, and mass market paperback $6.99
My understanding is that if it is an ebook only i.e. no print edition then the price will not change. But I have been known to be off on understandings. YMMV

bernie

P.S.
A another good reason to get the bundles is that buying the bundle means that you get the ebook from 2-3 weeks before it will be on Amazon.

Last edited by gbm; 12-10-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: p.s.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #66
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I prefer 7-Zip to WinRAR as it's open source and freeware.
I too use and love 7 Zip.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #67
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'll have to add a calendar reminder to check Baen monthly for the ebooks I want before they hit Amazon and the price goes up. I knew that the Baen web subscriptions wouldn't last forever and am grateful for all the wonderful books and authors I've discovered through it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #68
gbm
Wizard

Baen ebooks go on Amazon on December 15th 2012.

bernie
Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Baen ebooks go on Amazon on December 15th 2012.

bernie
Thanks. So I only need to hold out for four more days....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #70
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I'm having trouble following all this. I have the CDs already. If there's a single book I want from Baen, do I buy it now, or wait, or does it matter?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #71
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
I'm having trouble following all this. I have the CDs already. If there's a single book I want from Baen, do I buy it now, or wait, or does it matter?
If it's a single title the price *might* go up anywhere from $1-4.

The bigger pressure is for the *older* bundles: today you get 6 or more titles for $18 or less, after friday the bundle goes away and the equivalent buy goes up by $10 or more.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-10-2012 at 05:48 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #72
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If it's a single title the price *might* go up anywhere from $1-4.

The bigger pressure if the older bundles: today you get 6 or more titles for $10 or less, saturday the bundle goes away and the equivalent buy goes up by $10 or more.
It means that prices go up some time before the 15th. If their is a monthly bundle from December 1999-December 2012 that you want get it now, these bundles go away on the 15th at the latest.

bernie
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #73
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
There are no stupid questions, only questions it would be a mistake not to ask. If you download the .iso version, then you should either burn it to a disc or use disc-mounting software such as WinCDEmu. If you download the .zip, you just have to unzip it with your regular unzipping software (both Windows and OS X come with unzipping functionality).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
WinRAR and other archiver apps treat ISO files as if they were zips, too.
No need to burn a CD.
I tried downloading WinCDEmu and got warnings from both my Norton Internet Security and Windows when I got to the installation part so I decided against that. But I do have good old 7-Zip (I used to use it a lot but not so much anymore) and it unpacked the files with no problem. Thanks again
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #74
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I don't have an issue paying normal prices for Baen ebooks, for that matter I don't have an issue buying baen books at Amazon, I already buy the non-Baen Weber books there.

It is the end of an era and it does make me a bit sad. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, I was reasonably active (mostly lurking, though posting some) on the Baen web board run by Arnold Bailey. At it's peak, it was a system that had several authors very active on the system, frequently posting little snippets of up coming books. It was a lot of fun. Eventually, most of the authors stopped posting (not surprising since it was a big time sink) and most of the moderator tasks were turned over to fans. It wasn't much longer before, IMPO, it became very cliquish, as many online webboards become. I pretty much stopped going to the webboard not long after Baen died.

The idea of the websubscription was one of the better ideas that I've seen over the years from the standpoint of building a customer base. One could say that Jim Baen was a true trail blazer for ebooks. It might be interesting to see how many people who were read ebooks prior the Amazon kindle, bought books from Baen. I would not be surprised if that was the number one source for legal, non public domain ebooks from 2000 to 2007.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #75
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
BTW... the Baen Apocalypse run on my site (analogous to the run on Twinkies after the Hostess Apocalypse) is getting pretty impressive.

I'm shocked that the server has kept up. Historically, I start getting availability issues once traffic rises to over 75GB a day.

The last two days were the heaviest-trafficked days on the site in its seven and a half years: over 400GB (yes, with a G) each, the last two days (I've had whole months with less traffic than that).
Thank you so much for hosting these. I've so far been using the torrents from the site linked on your page to hopefully save you some bandwidth and if any of those torrents should fail, I've got a text file of all the iso links on your page to be adjusted accordingly for one run of wget.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote