Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
kobogirl
kobogirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Cannot Connect to WiFi to Set Up Vox - Kobo Server Down?

I just received my new Kobo Vox in the mail today. I plugged it in and started the setup process but could not connect to my WiFi account. I called Kobo Support and they told me that their server is having problems and that is why I can't connect. It could be a day or two before I can connect to WiFi and set up my Vox.

This sounds very strange to me. Anyone else having these problems?

Last edited by kobogirl; 11-08-2011 at 01:03 PM.
kobogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Yes, I have also have problems
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Are you saying that you cannot connect to Wifi, or that once connected that you cannot connect to the server to download the update and/or sign in?

I am updating a Vox right now, so our servers are definitely not down.

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
kobogirl

I cannot connect to WiFi. Consequently, I cannot complete the setup process.

The email response from Kobo (in response to my phone call) said that they are having "systems issues." I then noticed that someone on the kobo facebook forum has been having similar problems completing her Kobo Touch setup and has been told what I've been told: system problems.

But other people seem to be accessing WiFi just fine. Strange, right?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Connecting to Wifi has nothing to do with our servers, so I'm confused as to why Customer Support would say such a thing to you. Regardless, can you tell me what you are seeing when you try to connect? A couple of thing to take note of - our setup app does not work with Enterprise security wifi or public wifi that requires a login via a browser (like airport of many hotels). Additionally, if you are connecting to a WEP network you will not get error messaging back if you enter the wrong password - it will simply fail to connect you. So be sure to double check your password.

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
kobogirl

It prompts me to connect to a wifi network. Our network appears in the list. Our connection is not WEP, however. It is secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK. I enter the password, which is correct (and I can see it). After a few moments I receive the followind message: "unable to connect to [our network]."
Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobogirl View Post
It prompts me to connect to a wifi network. Our network appears in the list. Our connection is not WEP, however. It is secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK. I enter the password, which is correct (and I can see it). After a few moments I receive the followind message: "unable to connect to [our network]."
do you happen to have any sort of filtering going on (mac address for example), or are allowing static ip only?
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Or have you possibly restricted the ip range...for example 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.4 and have 4 devices already connected (ipod, laptop, printer, or whatever). If so you could no ip address available for the Vox.
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
kobogirl

Psyke: How would you know if you have any filtering going on?
Great Canadian: Where would you locate the ip range information?

I have never had to play around with my router before. Never had problems. Are there some steps I can follow?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Psyke: How would you know if you have any filtering going on?
Great Canadian: Where would you locate the ip range information?

I have never had to play around with my router before. Never had problems. Are there some steps I can follow?
in most cases, these would be things you'd know if you setup your router. if you just plugged it in with the default settings, then chances are you don't have to worry about what I or Great Canadian said. However, if someone else setup your network for you, then you will need to ask them if they did this stuff
Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
kobogirl

We set it up ourselves a few months ago. We just followed the setup wizard. I can't imagine we would restrict the number of devices. But if the mac filtering was presented as additional security it is possible we would have done that. But we can't remember.

How would we find these types of settings? I've been looking under network properties but can't see anything like that...
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
We set it up ourselves a few months ago. We just followed the setup wizard. I can't imagine we would restrict the number of devices. But if the mac filtering was presented as additional security it is possible we would have done that. But we can't remember.

How would we find these types of settings? I've been looking under network properties but can't see anything like that...
it depends on the router, but it usually will show up under the routers security settings. it will ask you to enter the mac address of the devices you want to allow to use the router, usually in the form of 9f:4d:32:3d:2d:5d or 9f-s6-dd-55-sd-5s
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
kobogirl

Well, I logged onto my router using the IP address http://192.168.0.1. It accepted my network password (which lets me know the password should be working). Under the advanced tabs it shows that MAC filtering is off.

Great Canadian: The IP range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199. That should be fine, right?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Psyke
Evangelist

last question; what's the length of your password? ideally it should be 13 characters, as some devices have had problems with anything but....
Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
kobogirl

My password is 14 characters.