Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_jennings View Post

I have tried several kinds of bluetooth keyboards and none have worked. (And still not with Ermine.) I think this is dependent on Google adding HID support for Bluetooth to Android, or on some third party hacking it for us.
Not sure you saw my preceding post? There are apps that implement that HID support.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #17
miked1541
miked1541 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
portable setup

I picked up the Pocket Edge last month from woot! and have been learning a lot from using the device and the online forums. I'm really diggin' the device!

Here is my portable setup with some of the accessories I have added:

1. Entourage Pocket Edge
2. Energizer XP8000 (Another woot! purchase. Battery is 30 watt hours)
2.5. Energizer Cable
3. Fellowes USB Stowaway Keyboard ($5.00US thrift store find, FTW!)
3.5. Stowaway Cable
4. Vogduo 4 port USB 2.0 mini hub ($1.00US clearance item, FTW!)
5. Retractable ethernet cable (no name)
6. Star Tech USB Ethernet dongle (USB2106S)
7. 5 LED USB light (no name)
8. Rothco Venturer Travel Portfolio Bag (lots of pockets!)

Even though the Rothco bag is kinda like a murse, it's more manly than others I've seen and doesn't look too bad if I wear it with the strap across my chest and the bag hanging low.

Oh, I forgot to add...usb fans will work too and can come in quite handy, especially if you can find a fan/light all in one.

If you use a USB hub, be careful about how many devices you put on there and the energy it draws. I haven't had any issues yet but I try not to have too many things attached.

All of the USB devices above work natively, so no drivers or additional software...just plug 'n play, baby!

Here is my portable workstation all setup:

Hope this helps!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	accessories.png
Views:	2106
Size:	604.2 KB
ID:	72419   Click image for larger version

Name:	workstation.jpg
Views:	1555
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	72420  

Last edited by miked1541; 06-07-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Changed XP8000 battery note.
miked1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:10 AM   #18
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

I love my GearHead wireless keyboard. It fits easily in my carry bag, designed for a 12" laptop. It uses a USB "dongle", not Bluetooth.

The addition of a USB Ethernet adapter has helped a lot. Look for a StarTech USB2106S on the WalMart website. It plugs straight in and works well. Then you can QUICKLY copy files from another computer on your home network, and get the speed benefit from a higher "class" micro-SD card.

Although the onboard wireless G brings in connections well, you cannot configure some home routers via wireless.

I already had a Bluetooth GPS receiver, and with a little effort, got it working on the eDGe, so my mapping is position-enabled. By tethering my cell phone 3G, I have WiFi anywhere.

I use a USB barcode reader, but most people wouldn't need one.

Quality earbuds are essential, so you can watch movies on the go and actually HEAR them. The speakers aren't bad but produce fairly low volume.

I often use Pandora, KeePassDroid (password store), IMDb, and the AT&T utility that lets me control my uVerse DVR from anywhere. With effort you can get the Gmail client running, but apparently Market is a tougher nut to crack.

WiFiAnalyzer is fun to look at, even if it doesn't really help very much.

I use DVDFAB on my media center PC to convert movies down to iPod (MP4) format.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
I already had a Bluetooth GPS receiver, and with a little effort, got it working on the eDGe, ...

I use a USB barcode reader, but most people wouldn't need one.
May you be more specific:
- what receiver model?
- what effort?
- is it eDGe or Pocket eDGe?
- what reader model?
Thanks.

Last edited by ptsenter; 06-07-2011 at 12:55 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #20
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1541 View Post
2. Energizer XP8000 (Another woot! purchase. 3000 mA @ 12V)
2.5. Energizer Cable
The Energizer charger caught my attention. This unit is compatible to charge the PE? Does it need a special tip adapter? (If so, what is the #?)

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #21
geckoFeet
Resident Reptile
geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.

Device: entourage edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
The Energizer charger caught my attention. This unit is compatible to charge the PE? Does it need a special tip adapter? (If so, what is the #?)

Thanks!
The xpal energizer thing is wonderful, just like carrying around another battery. That's because you ARE carrying around another battery. It's rated about the same capacity as the EE battery, so bigger than the PE battery. If the PE adapter tip is the same size as the EE one, that would be the NB05, which came with the battery, at least when I got it from Woot.
geckoFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #22
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I, like 5thWiggle used a 10" net book case. I picked one up at 5 below and figured it needed more protection than a thin layer of neoprene. As a result, I picked up one of those silicone roll-up keyboards to wrap it in (and it doubles as a keyboard too . All of the accessories fit snugly in the case and the extra protection is needed for the irreplaceable PE.

As for apps, the rest have it pretty covered.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #23
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
keyboards!

The hinge makes the PE an awesome laptop replacement. I've barely used my netbook since I bought it. Recently, I got a USB keyboard in the mail (in fact, it arrived today). It was $10 and seems to be of excellent quality. The color scheme also fits beautifully with the eDGe. The two look they were made for each other.

Heh Sarah, where can I buy the little droids that float over my e-ink pad?
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
If you want the best looking ones(watch out, they cost a LOT of money) see this: link, although if your willing to settle for a little less nice looking(but free-ish), see this: link
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #25
miked1541
miked1541 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post

Thanks!
Hi Glow,

So far, the XP8000 seems to work fine. I even tested it with my multimeter and compared it with the power supply that came with the Pocket Edge. The XP8000 comes with plenty of different adapters and I found that the NB05 works. No need to special order or anything. Just plug it into the green cable and output port (DC9V-12V) and you should be good to go. The battery has sense resistors to determine the proper voltage.

Also, I found out that the cells inside the PE (2x 3.7v Lithium Polymer) are rated at 14.8 watt hours. The XP8000 cells (4x 3.7v LiPo) are rated at 30 (29.6) watt hours. So I guess I can use the PE for quite some time without connecting to grid power.

miked1541
miked1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #26
glow
Book and Gadget Fan

Great, thanks for the info!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
My Android Robot Army was created on the edge itself! PicSay is the app I used. For you, my friend... free!
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #28
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
USB GPS receiver

Does anybody know which one would work with PE?
Or, at least, point me where to look?
Thanks.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #29
glow
Book and Gadget Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1541 View Post
The XP8000 comes with plenty of different adapters and I found that the NB05 works. No need to special order or anything. Just plug it into the green cable and output port (DC9V-12V) and you should be good to go. The battery has sense resistors to determine the proper voltage.
FYI, to anyone who orders one of these chargers, you are not guaranteed to get that tip included with the assortment of tips provided (depending where you order from I guess). I ordered the XP8000 from J&R, and the NB05 was not included. They do claim you can order additional tips for free (there is some shipping charge), so I will pursue that.

In any case, thanks again.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #30
paula-t
paula-t began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
... Recently, I got a USB keyboard in the mail (in fact, it arrived today). It was $10 and seems to be of excellent quality. The color scheme also fits beautifully with the eDGe.

I followed your link, Kenny, but I couldn't find size information.
How long and wide is it, please? I urgently need to buy a small keyboard, and I haven't find the one I am looking for. My ideal is not longer than 28 cm....

Thank you very much!
paula-t is offline   Reply With Quote