Fictionwise 30 22.39%
Other (Specify in comments) 18 13.43%
iBooks 53 39.55%
Google Books 22 16.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #31
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I don't buy from Sony even though I have a sony reader because as an Aussie they won't let me
I mainly buy from Kobo and Barnes & Noble and a little from Amazon.
I haven't used Smashworlds yet just haven't got around to it
And of course havent purchased from ibooks for obvious reasons.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #32
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Nope.... I'll buy from anyone who has the book I want at the lowest price.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #33
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Having a Kindle and not being into the whole conversion thing at my end sort of restricts me to Amazon and Smashwords. I purchase at the latter whenever possible.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #34
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Sony, Smashwords, Fictionwise and Other

Barnes and Noble and Sony refuse to sell to me, even though I'd like to buy some books from them.

Kobo, I never looked at

Smashwords, doesn't have books I like

Fictionwise was my preferred supplier for ebooks, but ever since it was taken over by B&N, I cleared my accounts with them and never turned back. About 90% of the books I want are unavailable to me.

Other: Any shop that has regional restrictions are ignored by me. While Amazon has regional restrictions, it handles it gracefully. It doesn't even show me the books I can't buy.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Well.... I guess I sorta' told a fib. You can download files directly from "Manage My Kindle" webpage, but... It appears it will only allows downloads for a physical kindle. Doesn't appear to allow any of the apps.
Download the K4PC, and when you start it, all books will be downloaded. And found in your "My Documents" folder somewhere (based on Win systems, naturally).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #36
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Apple has a bookstore?

Sorry, you're right, I forgot all about iBooks.

Where's that mod with the scary clown face?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Because I'm a moron.

I forgot iBooks, too. We'll need either a moderator or a new poll.
Sometimes we don't show on forum, but we are here. If you need something changed or added or whatever with a thread or post, just click the report post button (to the right of the Karma button) and let us know.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:55 AM   #37
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I don't shun any stores, no.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 AM   #38
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Oh I also wouldn't buy anything from iBooks as I don't want to be restricted to only reading on my iPhone. Ironically a couple of years ago before I bought my Sony reader and kindle and was using my iPhone for reading ebooks would have loved to have bought books from iBooks instead of the awful fictionwise but it didn't exist then.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #39
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Barnes and Noble because they won't sell to me (I am not American)
iBooks because they won't sell to me and I can't remove the DRM
Fictionwise because they don't have any good books and don't let you sample
Sony because the price is usually cheaper elsewhere

I buy from Kobo and Amazon.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #40
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I won't buy from iBooks because I want to read it on my eInk device and don't want to mess with removing the DRM (assuming its possible now). Plus I'm not happy with the alleged part Apple have had in bringing about agency pricing for books. (nothing against authors setting prices when selling direct as happens with apps, but I don't like publishers doing it).

Sony I try to avoid as much as possible because of their previous misdoings. I've a long list, but sadly you can't boycott everyone as a gadget nut, sony just happen to be in pole position (they've been there for the last few years
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #41
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I technically "bought" from Sony when I first got my PRS-505; I downloaded a few of the "HUNDRED FREE EBOOKS!!" (public domain classics, formatted badly) and a few of the promo freebies, before the combination of dialup internet and work's firewall prevented me from downloading the upgrade, and I gave up on the store entirely.

I also picked up a couple of freebies from Harlequin. That was a nightmare; nowhere did it say YOU MUST USE IE TO BUY BOOKS. (It said you need IE to get the .lit software to work; it didn't make it clear that the purchase/download had to be through Internet Explorer.) One purchase/download attempt was enough; I decided if I have to use their chosen software, I don't need to read their books.

Since then, I've decided all DRM is too much hassle. No purchases from Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Deisel, BooksOnBoard, EZReader--nothing that (1) requires me to install software to make purchases or (2) won't tell me if a book is DRM'd.

If they can't be bothered to tell me the terms of use, I can't be bothered to do business with them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #42
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I checked Kobo because I can't buy from them. The servers are in Canada, and to my bank, that qualifies as an "international transaction" (my Visa debit card is how I buy books). So unless I want to turn international access on for my bank account (which I really don't), Kobo is a no-buy for me. Which is a shame, since they seem to have decent prices and some good deals now and then.

ETA: DUHHH!! I have apparently gotten so used to ignoring the presence of the iBookstore on my iPad that I completely forgot it. I use the iBooks app to read with - but never, never, ever, will I buy from the iBookstore. The DRM can't be broken (that I know of) and I am seriously ticked off at Apple about the whole Agency pricing thing (though not enough that I didn't buy an iPad, LOL).

Last edited by phenomshel; 08-17-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: duh moment.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #43
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I do not own a Kobo or a Sony so I have no reason to buy from them. I have also never purchased from Fictionwise or ibooks.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #44
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I never buy from Amazon because I do not approve of their monopolistic tendencies or their closed eco system.
Same here!

I never bought from Sony since I always found the books I wanted cheaper elsewhere.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have never bought an AZW eBook from Amazon. I've only downloaded some free ones.

Apple's iBookstore I won't buy. I won't even download if the eBook is free.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-17-2011 at 02:48 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote