Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #46
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Right now, the two options that I am most considering are Tasty Morsels: Short and/or sweet and First Things First: Debuts which I think would really compliment Bookpossum's The end of the road: Finales. Maybe as a December/January pairing to double up on the endings/beginnings theme.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The End of the Road could be a little lugubrious for December.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #48
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I could only envision introspection, so did a double take on baseball, but Catlady solved it.
Obviously you were not a New York Mets fan in 1973! Tug McGraw was a relief pitcher for the team--he was an exuberant, fun, crazy player, and his "Ya gotta believe!" became a rallying cry for the team and the fans that year as they improbably won their division on the last day of the season, then beat the Cincinnati Reds in the playoffs, before losing to the Oakland A's in the seventh game of the World Series.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #49
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Right now, the two options that I am most considering are Tasty Morsels: Short and/or sweet and First Things First: Debuts which I think would really compliment Bookpossum's The end of the road: Finales
I like both of them; are you able to nominate both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The End of the Road could be a little lugubrious for December.
I agree. A lot of people thought Tasty Morsels would be a nice pairing for December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Obviously you were not a New York Mets fan in 1973! Tug McGraw was a relief pitcher for the team--he was an exuberant, fun, crazy player, and his "Ya gotta believe!" became a rallying cry for the team and the fans that year as they improbably won their division on the last day of the season, then beat the Cincinnati Reds in the playoffs, before losing to the Oakland A's in the seventh game of the World Series.
I’m afraid I’m a Red Sox fan, to the disapproval of my Blue Jays loving family. So I didn’t remember Tug McGraw. But he sounds wonderful and quite irrepressible. And it was fun looking him up. Your Mets have certainly started the season well this year.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I’m afraid I’m a Red Sox fan,
You are dead to me, Victoria. Dead.

<<Yankees fan.
Advert
Old 04-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #51
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I’m afraid I’m a Red Sox fan, to the disapproval of my Blue Jays loving family. So I didn’t remember Tug McGraw. But he sounds wonderful and quite irrepressible. And it was fun looking him up. Your Mets have certainly started the season well this year.
1986. Bill Buckner.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #52
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You are dead to me, Victoria. Dead.

<<Yankees fan.
And you call yourself a New Englander.

Quote:
1986. Bill Buckner.
Ok, now you’re just being mean!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #53
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
And you call yourself a New Englander.
I most certainly do not! I'm in New England, but I'm from New York.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #54
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Great quote - A flat world didn’t sound like it had much depth, but you’re upping my interest in Pratchett [...]
The book I was referring too (The Carpet People) is not a Discworld novel. It was Pratchett's first published novel, intended for younger readers, about a civilisation of tiny people living in the carpet. It was first published in 1971, but revised and republished in 1992 - hence it having two authors, one new to the craft, the second famous and more experienced.

I thoroughly recommend pretty much anything by Pratchett, and his books for younger readers make a great way to discover whether you like his voice (his books have a very distinctive voice). Especially keep an eye out for The Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings), these would definitely be part of any desert island collection of mine.

Which makes me wonder whether there is a theme in "Desert Island Collection" ? Just a thought.

Last edited by gmw; 04-12-2019 at 09:04 PM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #55
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok, now you’re just being mean!
Yup.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #56
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would just like to point out that both the Yankees and the Red Sox are well below .500 right now.

Go Mariners!

This season has been a lot of fun so far but I don't know any M's fans who expect it to continue. I'll take it while it lasts though! I might be able to make it to a game next week. :Crosses fingers that this lasts that long:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #57
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I would just like to point out that both the Yankees and the Red Sox are well below .500 right now.

Go Mariners!

This season has been a lot of fun so far but I don't know any M's fans who expect it to continue. I'll take it while it lasts though! I might be able to make it to a game next week. :Crosses fingers that this lasts that long:
AL teams don't even play real baseball!
Old 04-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #58
Dazrin
Wizard

Well, I will agree that, other than the Rays, none of the AL East seems to be this year.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #59
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
AL teams don't even play real baseball!
Too true, alas. If I woke up baseball czarina, my first fiat would be to get rid of the blinking DH.

But what can you do? I'm a birthright Yankees fan. "Love is not love Which alters...."
Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #60
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
All the antipodeans are saying "Huh?"

But we have our sporting religions too, with different football codes in different states, so we understand the principle.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote