Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 02:29 AM   #1
skygreen2031
skygreen2031 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question about e-book?

Hey guys, so I've got a Sony E-Reader PRS-T2 and I love it. I've got Evernote setup on it so I can now upload the quotes I wish to keep and upload it to Evernote.
Now that I've got my PRS-T2 setup the way I want it, I want to know the best way for my brain to take in new information. I really want to start reading a lot of the E-Books I've been collecting. I thought this forum would be the best place to ask for help in this matter.

So, I just want to know how you set yourself up for your reading sessions. How do you get in the mood to read for long periods? Do you read in bed or do you read outside? Do you drink tea or eat toast while you read? Do you read when you wake up or before you fall asleep? How do you prime your brain for a lengthy reading session?

I'd really appreciate any help.
Thank you!
skygreen2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:13 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT

The easiest way to get ready to read is to wait for the first chance to read, open your book and read. Read until you get interrupted. If you have a chance to read now, and you don't feel like it, then your are reading the wrong book. Pick a more interesting to read book. Once you have a interesting enough book then you will want to read it any chance you get. So just cave in and do it. Once the book is over pick the next book. Rinse and repeat.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2018, 03:53 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Reading for some of us is like breathing. I do prefer silence when reading but other than that. I read all the time. When I'm not reading an ebook, I'm reading articles, forums, Facebook... there's no prep, just reading anything I come across.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am a readaholic and for me it means every time I have a free moment I pick up my book and read. I do not need silence to read. When I read I am oblivious to anything around me. To paraphrase Louis L'Amour " I could sit in the middle of the street and read, at least until I got run over. My wife gets mad at me when she asks me a question and I do not even hear her. Most of us read for enjoyment and the best thing to do is read something you will enjoy. Life is to short to force yourself to read something you are not enjoying. So, just pick something you think you will enjoy and read. If you find that the book is not engaging you pick another book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I agree with others who already posted that the key is to start with something you will enjoy. If you haven't read much before, maybe think about the types of movies or TV you like to watch and pick a book about a similar subject. Or find a book about an activity you enjoy such as a hobby, sport, music, etc.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Everybody has their own way, and I suspect you won't get many helpful replies.

For lengthy reading sessions, my preferred is to make myself a cup of coffee and take my tablet outside to read. I have a nice pergola to sit under, cushioned chairs, cheerful birds and soothing breezes. Most of my family are night owls, so this is an early Saturday morning activity for me, and only for part of the year, since I find it less comfortable when it is cold and/or snowy outside. (In the winter, I still make the cup of coffee, but I sit inside at the dining room table.) These books are ones that I have been wanting to read, usually for some time, and I want to take the time to really take them in and get as much out of them as I can.

All other times, I just read whatever I have handy on whatever device I happen to have with me. Usually it's something not too deep or thoughtful, that I can drop at a second's notice because whatever small bit of time I have has been used up. (Such as the end of one of my children's music lessons or the child I'm picking up *finally* leaving his friends and finding his way to my car.) These books are less detailed and I don't get so involved in them that I can't handle an interruption. I think of them like daytime TV -- even if I forget what has happened in them, in a few pages, I'll be able to pick up the plot again.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I stopped reading some years ago. I didn't enjoy it anymore. I even gave away a lot of books.

But then I found out I needed reading glasses. And got some.

After that I started reading again and haven't stopped. But now mostly e-books.

Strangely I find it difficult to read books in Swedish. I can't focus, my mind wanders from what I am reading. Short texts, like news, are fine, but not longer texts. It seems too little of my attention is needed, or my reading circuits are underutilized and start misfiring or something. But reading in English works fine. This had happened before I stopped reading and before I started with e-books.

So I prepare by finding and cleaning my reading glasses.

However I am fine reading outdoors in very bright light without reading glasses, but then the cat that lives on my farm distracts me. He is strictly an out-of-doors barn cat.

Last edited by Adoby; 07-17-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I read when I have my morning coffee, when I'm waiting in line at the store, while waiting for a doctor appointment. If I'm on my own for dinner, I read. Sessions may be 5 minutes or 60. I usually have several books going at the same time.

Light fiction before bed, a biography perhaps, something inspirational or bible study related.

I read while listening to baseball, I read for at least an hour ever night before bed. I read while waiting for water to boil. I read outside when the temps are moderate. I read while getting my daily 30 minute walk on the treadmill.

When we travel to visit Family, I read in the car. I read when I'm at the hair salon waiting for my color to process.

Most of my reading is done on my e-ink Oasis, but I read on my iPhone 7+ when out and about.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If it's during the day, I send my cats outside to play then sit down with some chocolate, pick up my kindle, and begin reading. I take frequent breaks to stroll to the kitchen, make more hot chocolate, check that the cats are okay in the garden, then begin reading again. Repeat as necessary.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Like most others here, I read every chance I get. My reader goes with me whenever I leave the house, so I read waiting in lines especially at our horrid post offices, long walks when I stop along trails (more frequently if it's a really good book I can't put down), car breaks down and I have to wait 3 hours for the tow truck and I don't care because I can sit back and enjoy some reading time. Noise or silence or where I'm at doesn't matter at all. If I'm a passenger in a car, I'm reading and completely tune everything out. If I'm sitting anywhere or standing still anywhere, I open up my reader.

There's no prep at all and no "set" time for me for reading, just pick up where you left off, and start a new book when that one ends. Reading for long periods at a time has more to do with how interesting you find the book.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Reading for some of us is like breathing. I do prefer silence when reading but other than that. I read all the time. When I'm not reading an ebook, I'm reading articles, forums, Facebook... there's no prep, just reading anything I come across.

Sent from my XT1528
I also prefer silence when reading. It's very hard if not impossible to read with other distractions around. Of course once I focus on reading hrs can go by before I think to look at the clock and see what time it is. I had that problem in High School. I'd read during study hall period, then have to remind myself to look up so I didn't miss hearing the bell.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Like most others here, I read every chance I get. My reader goes with me whenever I leave the house, so I read waiting in lines especially at our horrid post offices, long walks when I stop along trails (more frequently if it's a really good book I can't put down), car breaks down and I have to wait 3 hours for the tow truck and I don't care because I can sit back and enjoy some reading time. Noise or silence or where I'm at doesn't matter at all. If I'm a passenger in a car, I'm reading and completely tune everything out. If I'm sitting anywhere or standing still anywhere, I open up my reader.

There's no prep at all and no "set" time for me for reading, just pick up where you left off, and start a new book when that one ends. Reading for long periods at a time has more to do with how interesting you find the book.
Omnibus editions are good for long reads. And sometimes I switch from one book to another depending on my mood, then go back to the 1st book later.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygreen2031 View Post
So, I just want to know how you set yourself up for your reading sessions. How do you get in the mood to read for long periods? Do you read in bed or do you read outside? Do you drink tea or eat toast while you read? Do you read when you wake up or before you fall asleep? How do you prime your brain for a lengthy reading session?
For me, if I'm breathing and have a pulse, I'm in the mood for a long reading session. I read in bed, I read outside, I read while cooking (there's a lot of time where you are waiting to stir, spice, taste, whatever and reading fills it nicely). I don't read while eating in company as some of my parental lessons have stuck. I will read during the commercials while watching CFL football, hockey or virtually any other sport -- my version of skipping the commercials while watching a recorded program.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygreen2031 View Post
Hey guys, so I've got a Sony E-Reader PRS-T2 and I love it. I've got Evernote setup on it so I can now upload the quotes I wish to keep and upload it to Evernote.
Now that I've got my PRS-T2 setup the way I want it, I want to know the best way for my brain to take in new information. I really want to start reading a lot of the E-Books I've been collecting. I thought this forum would be the best place to ask for help in this matter.

I'd really appreciate any help.
Thank you!
1- Get comfortable.
2- Minimize distractions.
3- Start reading.

It is up to you to define "comfortable" and decide what a distraction-free environment is like. Some people prefer total silence, some prefer relaxing music or white noise.

Distraction-free is why many people prefer dedicated readers to tablets or phones.

The last and most important element is finding books you like. Most people have a preferred genre they return to over and over. For some it is mysteries or fantasies or biographies or military non-fiction or romance or Science Fiction.

Depending on which genre speaks to you is where you'll find your reads.
Plenty of folks around here can steer you to good sources once you decide what you like or think you might like.

My own preferences run to SF.
A good starter source for that is the BAEN FREE LIBRARY.
https://www.baen.com/allbooks/catego...ted_at&dir=ASC

Four good starting points there are:

Boundary
With the Lightnings
On Basilisk Station

There are lots of free ebooks to be found at Project Gutenberg , Feedbooks, and other sites. If you have hacked the T2 and installed the Kindle reader you'll have access to the Kindle Unlimited subscription service as well as the Kindle store.

If you think you might like classic adventure stories, you may want to go to feedbooks or gutenberg and look up Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jules Verne, Mark Twain, Anthony Hope, among others.

It can be a fun hobby but it takes some time to figure out how your tastes run.

Good luck.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:14 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
If you need recommendations for books to read, head for the Reading Recommendations part of the forum - you can ask for recommendations based on your interests. There is also a subforum there consisting of Book Clubs where a number of people read a book each month and discuss it, if that would appeal to you or motivate you.

EDIT: Looking back at the initial post I see Skygreen actually already has a collection of books, so he/she may want to skip the recommendations forum and go straight to the ebook buying addicts' thread ha

Last edited by 4691mls; 07-17-2018 at 11:18 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote