Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
noob question on reader apps

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I could not find the answer. I just got an iPad Air, and I have downloaded my entire Calibre library on it. Is there any (possibly free) app that would sweep the iPad for downloaded books?

On my Android phone I have the Pocketbook reader app that reads a lot of formats and can also see all the books on the device and card, but I've tried it on the iPad and it sees nothing. I've seen other apps that link to Dropbox, but as I have already my whole library downloaded, what I need is really something that would find the books already there, or that I can point to my library.

In case it helps, I downloaded my dropbox books using Documents.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
iOS 8 is supposed to finally have support for shared app storage, but until that glorious day, whatever app you downloaded the files to, is the ONLY app that is allowed to see those files. The app may have the ability to export its files to any other app that announces it can handle the filetype.

Any Android device allows apps to sweep the storage folders for any files stored there, and any self-respecting ereader app (and other apps that are supposed to do things with all of any particular type of files) will offer to do so. Because Android has shared file storage the same way computers do.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-07-2014 at 10:42 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
iOS 8 is supposed to finally have support for shared app storage, but until that glorious day, whatever app you downloaded the files to, is the ONLY app that is allowed to see those files. The app may have the ability to export its files to any other app that announces it can handle the filetype.

Any Android device allows apps to sweep the storage folders for any files stored there, and any self-respecting ereader app (and other apps that are supposed to do things with all of any particular type of files) will offer to do so. Because Android has shared file storage the same way computers do.
ah, so you see I am a noob on all things iOS. Well, damn nuisance, but good to know that at least it is on the cards...
Old 08-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iOS 8 will be a game-changer in many ways. Some might say they, for once, are playing catch-up with Android

http://www.macstories.net/stories/io...app-ecosystem/

One of the biggest excitements to lots of people will be iOS versions of the third-party keyboards which Android has always been good for. That plus shared app storage, anyway.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 AM   #5
paola
Wizard

Quote:
iOS 8 will be a game-changer in many ways. Some might say they, for once, are playing catch-up with Android

http://www.macstories.net/stories/io...app-ecosystem/

One of the biggest excitements to lots of people will be iOS versions of the third-party keyboards which Android has always been good for. That plus shared app storage, anyway.
very interesting. I've used windows for a lifetime, and after a huge disappointment with a very high spec Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga, I got myself a macbook pro and an ipad (the Yoga can be used both as tablet and laptop, and that feature is amazing, I do miss it, though the tradeoff between performance and battery life make it useless as a portable device for my needs).

I have been immediately thoroughly impressed with the macbook - it just works. But the ipad, well, after a couple of days with it I am more struck by its limitations than its pros, so really look forward to the fall!
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yep, Apple does have that reputation for "just working".

I happen to prefer an Android/Linux PC combo, but whatever work for you...

The one thing I would avoid (on behalf of others) is the delusion that a Windows tablet/PC is anything more than a gossip piece.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
That's not totally correct. iOS uses the sandbox method of security. An app can only access files in it's sandbox. iOS 8 allows apps that are programmed to do so, to interact to a greater degree, Thus in theory, one could have a calibre style app that manages your ebook collection which then calls one of the reader apps to open a specific book. You already have this capability (that's how when you download a file via safari, you can open the file with several different apps), but iOS 8 allows it to a much greater degree and is pushing the ability. You will not be able to simply scan the "disk" for files like you can with Android. It's a trade off. Android gives a lot more freedom, but is much more vulnerable to malicious software.

The big thing that iOS has is the ability to pass documents from app to app and from machine to machine. Thus you can start responding to an email on your iPhone or iPad and finish it off on your mac. In theory this all works seamlessly. We won't know how seamless it will be or how well various apps support this until it comes out hopefully in late September. While 3rd party keyboards might be the big talking point in some parts, it's hardly the enhancement that is generating the biggest buzz overall.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

My point was that you can have apps like say, hopefully an iOS version of Calibre Companion (but at least stuff like Dropbox), which offers all its files as shared app storage, so you can add files to a shared sandbox and all your ereader apps can see them. But thanks for clarifying what I meant.

From the sound of it, it seems there will be two new storage methods. A generic shared file storage area, and the ability to store files inside the app sandbox and administrate which apps can access what types of stuff.

I never said 3rd-party apps are the biggest buzz overall. A lot of people do seem to be very excited about it, though. Personally, it is the shared app storage that I think is most interesting, although I still prefer Android-style Actual File Systems.

Lots of interesting changes that's for sure. iOS will change in ways that makes me much more interested in it as a personal device. Who knows -- I may even decide I like it on a personal level!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
paola
Wizard

Quote:
The one thing I would avoid (on behalf of others) is the delusion that a Windows tablet/PC is anything more than a gossip piece.
I'd say an expensive gossip piece...
Old 08-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My point was that you can have apps like say, hopefully an iOS version of Calibre Companion (but at least stuff like Dropbox), which offers all its files as shared app storage, so you can add files to a shared sandbox and all your ereader apps can see them. But thanks for clarifying what I meant.

From the sound of it, it seems there will be two new storage methods. A generic shared file storage area, and the ability to store files inside the app sandbox and administrate which apps can access what types of stuff.

I never said 3rd-party apps are the biggest buzz overall. A lot of people do seem to be very excited about it, though. Personally, it is the shared app storage that I think is most interesting, although I still prefer Android-style Actual File Systems.

Lots of interesting changes that's for sure. iOS will change in ways that makes me much more interested in it as a personal device. Who knows -- I may even decide I like it on a personal level!
I'm pretty sure that it's not a shared file storage area, at least not on the device itself and accessible from multiple apps. One can already use something like dropbox to achieve that in the cloud.

Just to clarify, the capability to share files between apps already exists. For example, I can listen to the music loaded in iTunes via a 3rd party app such as OnCue Pro (my preferred music app) and I can listen to audio books in iTunes via the audible app. However, it has to be exposed by the first app (in this case iTunes). It is my understanding that the iOS 8 will be basically the same, however Apple has enhanced the interface for sharing data and is strongly encouraging developers to support shared data. From a users point of view, it amounts to roughly the same thing. The question is how will Apple implement book sharing in iBooks? Will a 3rd party app be able to access the books much like 3rd party apps can access music via iTunes or will it be one way? That is something we probably won't know until Apple actually releases the iBooks app for iOS 8.

Last edited by pwalker8; 08-08-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm pretty sure that it's not a shared file storage area, at least not on the device itself and accessible from multiple apps. One can already use something like dropbox to achieve that in the cloud.
Hmm, I may have been confused by the mention of "Storage Provider" AND "Document Picker".

Pity.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I, of course, could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything in the documentation or forums that make me think there is a big change like that. Either way, for all practical purposes it's more or less the same thing. If it works out like I hope it does, then I'm looking forward to it. I would love to have a ported version of Calibre on my iPad.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Congrats on your new gadgets, paola! I love the combination of my iOS gadgets and MacBook Pro. I recommend the websites macrumors and MacDailyNews for following the gossip on what's coming in iOS8.

I recommend the reading app Marvin. It will connect to Dropbox to get your books. Also I like its ability to browse your calibre catalog on your laptop and then wirelessly transfer books to your iPad.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Congrats on your new gadgets, paola! I love the combination of my iOS gadgets and MacBook Pro. I recommend the websites macrumors and MacDailyNews for following the gossip on what's coming in iOS8.

I recommend the reading app Marvin. It will connect to Dropbox to get your books. Also I like its ability to browse your calibre catalog on your laptop and then wirelessly transfer books to your iPad.
+1, that's how I load ebooks in Marvin. I do keep all my ebooks on my iPad as well as in Calibre.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post

perfect, thanks, so Marvin it'll be!