Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #1561
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
The ability to easily install & choose a third party reader for specific mimetypes would be awesome, like it's possible on the pocketbooks...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293804

and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295612

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 06-18-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #1562
ma678
Enthusiast
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
- GoTo Page
- Chinese fonts support
- Chinese dictionary
ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #1563
Bleh92
Bleh92 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
How hard I tried, with several different methods, I am unable to add Author data (or any other data) into the metadata of a .cbz comic/manga file. It is driving me crazy. First I thought I am doing something wrong when embedding metadata but no, my Kobo Clara HD seems to just not read the metadata of a .cbz file. The file looks OK on calibre or any other program that reads metadata.

Implementing Kobo devices with the reading function of comic metadata does not look like a ton of work and I'm a bit OCD about keeping my books/library tidy. Could you guys make this happen in future releases, please?
Bleh92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #1564
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleh92 View Post
How hard I tried, with several different methods, I am unable to add Author data (or any other data) into the metadata of a .cbz comic/manga file. It is driving me crazy. First I thought I am doing something wrong when embedding metadata but no, my Kobo Clara HD seems to just not read the metadata of a .cbz file. The file looks OK on calibre or any other program that reads metadata.

Implementing Kobo devices with the reading function of comic metadata does not look like a ton of work and I'm a bit OCD about keeping my books/library tidy. Could you guys make this happen in future releases, please?
Sorry, but the firmware doesn't read the metadata from CBZ or CBR files. From memory, there is no actual standard for the metadata in these files. There are a couple of different versions based on the apps people are using. The lack of a standard makes it hard for a company to decide to support something.

If you want to update the metadata, you can with my Kobo Utilities plugin in calibre. This has a function to directly update the metadata in the database on the device for any type of book that is already in the device and in the database. This does mean you need to send the book to the device and disconnect it to let the books be imported. Then reconnect again to do the updates. But, it is the only way to get what you want done.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #1565
Bleh92

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, but the firmware doesn't read the metadata from CBZ or CBR files. From memory, there is no actual standard for the metadata in these files. There are a couple of different versions based on the apps people are using. The lack of a standard makes it hard for a company to decide to support something.

If you want to update the metadata, you can with my Kobo Utilities plugin in calibre. This has a function to directly update the metadata in the database on the device for any type of book that is already in the device and in the database. This does mean you need to send the book to the device and disconnect it to let the books be imported. Then reconnect again to do the updates. But, it is the only way to get what you want done.
Can you guide me step by step? I downloaded your plugin but it felt a bit hard to follow what to do. What do I exactly have to do to fix this metadata issue? Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #1566
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Can you guide me step by step? I downloaded your plugin but it felt a bit hard to follow what to do. What do I exactly have to do to fix this metadata issue? Thanks a bunch.
  • Connect your Kobo and send the books from calibre, safely disconnect and let your Kobo process the books. This generates the database entries.
  • Reconnect your Kobo, select the books in calibre that you sent in step 1.
  • Click on the down arrow on the Kobo Utilities icon and select "Update metadata in device library"
  • In the popup window, check the options to make sure the metadata you want is selected then click OK.
  • Check the update summary screen and click OK.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo_ Utilities_menu.png
Views:	243
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	164659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Update_metadata_popup.png
Views:	244
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	164662   Click image for larger version

Name:	device_updated.png
Views:	221
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	164663  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #1567
Bleh92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
  • Connect your Kobo and send the books from calibre, safely disconnect and let your Kobo process the books. This generates the database entries.
  • Reconnect your Kobo, select the books in calibre that you sent in step 1.
  • Click on the down arrow on the Kobo Utilities icon and select "Update metadata in device library"
  • In the popup window, check the options to make sure the metadata you want is selected then click OK.
  • Check the update summary screen and click OK.

Good luck!
Oh my god, it worked! I realized that I tried this before but I think I did something wrong while doing it. Now, it correctly shows the Author, as well the publisher and ISBN number, because I ticked those options like you did.

Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #1568
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh my god, it worked! I realized that I tried this before but I think I did something wrong while doing it. Now, it correctly shows the Author, as well the publisher and ISBN number, because I ticked those options like you did.

Thanks a bunch!!!
You're welcome.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #1569
joeTaco
joeTaco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
My two requests relate to highlighting:

1. Please allow us to highlight / note Pocket articles! Seems like adding this feature should be as easy as flipping some config value somewhere.

2. I think the overall highlighting system needs a refresh. I switched from a Kindle Oasis, and while I prefer my Kobo, the one aspect where Kindle was clearly superior was highlighting. It's hard to describe, but it just felt better. It was smoother, more accurate, and I made less mistakes. With Kobo after my initial selection I have to do several adjustments pretty much every time. I'm not sure how much of this is hardware vs software. One easy thing to do would be to take a click out of the process - that is, when I selected something on the Kindle it automatically highlighted it. On Kobo it requires an extra click of the highlight button. But this is less important than the overall "feeling" which I don't like.
joeTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #1570
Minotaur
Enthusiast
Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'd like to be able to disable the "connect" prompt that comes up when I connect my Aura One to my PC, and just have it automatically connect
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #1571
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
I'd like to be able to disable the "connect" prompt that comes up when I connect my Aura One to my PC, and just have it automatically connect
Which seems like a reasonable thing, but that was the way the original Kobo started and it means you can't read while charging your device. Quite possible you don't care, but for lots of others this would be a massive concern. And, yes, they could do this as an option, but to add that adds a lot more complexity to the code than might be obvious. so it's simpler to just make everyone tap the screen to connect (or not).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #1572
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Maybe bring it up in one of the patching threads, seems like it may be straight forward.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #1573
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
And when I connect to a charger that triggers the connect to pc dialog? Given that for USB 2, there are too many "standards" for differentiating a connection to a computer from a connection to a charger, it's too much of a crapshoot for me to be happy with losing the dialog box.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #1574
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And then there are people who want to charge from a computer USB and they need the prompt to connect or not. Also, I have had the prompt come up when I connected it to some USB charger. If I didn't have the prompt, I would not have been able to read while charging. Sp ;et's just leave the prompt and move on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #1575
Minotaur
Enthusiast
Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Forma
I said I'd like to disable the prompt, not remove it completely. No reason it can't be an option.
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo