Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
KSM touch driver and rotation test

With each release of a new Kobo reader there arises the challenge to find out whether KSM will work on it, especially whether one of the available touch drivers can be used and which rotation values to set. Therefore I would like to provide a tool that facilitates this process.

Installation (I assume that KSM is not installed on the device):
  • Extract the file KoboRoot.tgz from the uploaded archive and copy it into .kobo of your Kobo reader
  • Eject and disconnect your Kobo reader from the PC
  • Wait until the package is installed and the device restarts
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
NOTE: KoboRoot.epub is not an epub, but a tgz (cf. post #54). Do not try to read it with an epub reader.

Currently (12.12.2018), there seems to be no set of touch drivers available that works for all Kobo models. Let us watch the following two links to see when Sergey updates the touch drivers, and to see for which devices the touch drivers have been confirmed to work, at least indirectly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ksm_helper04.zip (7.30 MB, 466 views)

Last edited by tshering; 12-12-2018 at 03:59 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How to use

• [in nickel] Switch on Wifi, and find your IP address (Settings > Device information > IP address)
  • [on your Pc] Write into the navigation bar of your web browser
    http://{insert your IP here}:8089/rmc_touch.html
    for instance: http://10.0.0.2:8089/rmc_touch.html
  • When you see the webinterface, press the button "exit nickel" (You will not see any change on the screen of your reader, but nickel should now be unresponsive.)
Note: If the webinterface did not appear or "exit nickel" did not work, nickel might have switched of the wifi connection. Switch it on, and retry.
  • Click the button "print info" and copy the content of the "output field" and post it to this thread (s. 01.jpg).
  • Select a touch driver (with older devices you will first try libKoboTS.so, with newer devices libKoboTS_h2o2.so), and press the button "create menu"
  • When the menu appears on the screen (s. 02.png) select one of the menu entries and see whether it works (the letter you selected should appear in the info box; s. 03.png)
  • Try some other letters to make sure everything is find.
  • Select "EXIT" (navigate to the second page when necessary to do so). On the reader you should see the information that the exit was successful. Copy the information from the "output field" of the webinterface and post it to this thread (s. 04.jpg).
If the menu did not respond correctly, try to change the settings. When there was no reaction at all, even though you touched the screen all over the place, you might try the other touch driver.
If there was some reaction, but the selections were wrong, you might try changing the values for fb rotation (and maybe ksm rotation.) Do this also if the screen orientation is wrong. Note: When the menu did not exit regularly, you have to "exit ksm menu" before you can again "create menu".

When you are finished press "reboot".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	167638   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.png
Views:	464
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	167639   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.png
Views:	440
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	167640   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	167641  

Last edited by tshering; 11-11-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Is it posible to run with ksm installed? Because the "created menu" is shown inverted but I don't know if it's by the ksm.

Edit: I can uninstall KSM if it's necesary to test something. No problem about that

Last edited by boriar; 11-13-2018 at 04:05 PM.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
Is it posible to run with ksm installed? Because the "created menu" is shown inverted but I don't know if it's by the ksm.

Edit: I can uninstall KSM if it's necesary to test something. No problem about that
Thank you for trying! There is no need to uninstall KSM. Select simply "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh" > "alternateNickel". This will make KSM run every second time you reboot, and nickel every other time. You can make the test, when the device boots directly into nickel.
By the way, there is not really something to test in this case on the H2O. KSM does already work on this device (That means we know already the correct settings for H2O).
But the test would be interesting for some other reason. It would be good to know how difficult it is for a user to find out the correct settings.

In order to get the device again to boot each time into KSM, select "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh" > "always".

Last edited by tshering; 11-13-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I have try with both drivers and neither let me select an entry

Anyway here is my "print info"
Spoiler:
### executed:/mnt/onboard/.adds/ksm_helper/print_info.sh
PLATFORM=mx50-ntx PRODUCT=dahlia INTERFACE= WIFI_MODULE= WIFI=WC121A2
CPU=mx50 PCB=E606G0 RAM=LPDDR2 RAM_SIZE=512MB
MODEL_NUMBER=370 FW=4.11.11982 UNAME=Linux (none) 2.6.35.3-850-gbc67621+ #3032 PREEMPT Mon Jan 9 13:37:40 CST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
Advert
Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 AM   #6
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Well, I have try with both drivers and neither let me select an entry
Which combination of rotation values did you try? Did you see any response when you tapped the screen?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
boriar
Evangelist

I use fb rotation 2 and ksm rotation 90 (same orientation with 0 and 270), but in any case the screen not iresponsive.

Edit: Valid pairs for fb rotation, ksm rotation: 0,270 1,0 2,90 3,180

Last edited by boriar; 11-14-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Add valid values
Old 11-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I use fb rotation 2 and ksm rotation 90 (same orientation with 0 and 270), but in any case the screen not iresponsive.

Edit: Valid pairs for fb rotation, ksm rotation: 0,270 1,0 2,90 3,180
Thank you for testing again. I am somehow surprised. Expected is libKoboTS.so, fb rotation=2, ksm rotation=90.

These are also the values that your current KSM version is using.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
tshering
Wizard

@boriar

Meanwhile two possible explanations came to my mind.
1) Is it possible that you have a mod running in the background that prevents the test menu from receiving the touch input?

2) In the test package I included the newest touch drivers from vlasovsoft, whereas KSM includes an older version. I wonder whether the new version of libKoboTS.so might have stopped to support H2O.

Could you please test whether the problem is the new version of the driver? (Unless you think explanantion 1) might apply.)
  • Copy libKoboTS_h2o.so from .adds\vlasovsoft\Qt\plugins\mousedrivers to .adds\ksm_helper\Qt\plugins\mousedrivers.
  • Write or copy "libKoboTS_h2o.so" (without quotes) into the input field over the button "add driver" and press this button to add the file name to the list.
  • Try the menu test with this driver.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
boriar
Evangelist

@tshering
1) Not possible because my original H2O is now open (Bye waterproof! ) and by the moment my second hand H2O has only KSM09up2, KOreader, Vlasofsoft Launcher and Plato. No patches and no mods.

2) Coolreader and his launcher (last version on his web, I don't know if there's a new one driver shared) run smoothly but I will try and edit this message later.

Edit: All go well now with the h2o driver.
Spoiler:
MODEL_NUMBER=370
QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS_h2o
mrotation=90
ksmrotate=2
kobomenuFontsize=50
ksmroot=/mnt/onboard/.adds/ksm_helper

Edit 2: You are right. Only work correctly with (2,90). With the other three combinations with correct orientation the select don't work well. The screen respond but not the correct character

Last edited by boriar; 11-14-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #11
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
@tshering
1) Not possible because my original H2O is now open (Bye waterproof! ) and by the moment my second hand H2O has only KSM09up2, KOreader, Vlasofsoft Launcher and Plato. No patches and no mods.

2) Coolreader and his launcher (last version on his web, I don't know if there's a new one driver shared) run smoothly but I will try and edit this message later.

Edit: All go well now with the h2o driver, and also with all combinations of rotation values of my other post.
Spoiler:
MODEL_NUMBER=370
QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS_h2o
mrotation=90
ksmrotate=2
kobomenuFontsize=50
ksmroot=/mnt/onboard/.adds/ksm_helper
Thank you! I am glad you did this test. This has prevented the danger of serious troubles with KSM in the future (if there is any).
Old 11-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
boriar
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you! I am glad you did this test. This has prevented the danger of serious troubles with KSM in the future (if there is any).
Please, read edit 2 from my last post.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #13
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Please, read edit 2 from my last post.
Thank you for telling.
Edit: As long as fb rotation = 2, all ksm rotation values should work (of course the screen is rotated so that you have to turn the device around). Or can the new H2O driver not handle this?

Last edited by tshering; 11-14-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
tshering
Wizard

I have updated the package in the first post to include a driver for H2O.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #15
boriar
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you for telling.
Edit: As long as fb rotation = 2, all ksm rotation values should work (of course the screen is rotated so that you have to turn the device around). Or can the new H2O driver not handle this?
You are correct. It run well in all orientations with fb rotation=2