Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #631
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And, of course, there's the first book in one of my all time favourite series, Foreigner. I think it might give us more to talk about than Quarter Share, and I suspect Fer de Lance might be rather more dated than would work well. So many choices, but I'm going to try to stick to just one, in order to be able to support others.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #632
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I’ve never read the Foreigner series yet, so that would be really neat. I know what you mean - at first I felt that I should make nominations. But the last couple of go-arounds, I ran out of votes before some later nominations came in. So last month I realized holding votes to support others is equally important.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #633
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oooh, you're missing a good one. I think I'll go ahead and nominate it for this month, even though I don't realistically expect it to win.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #634
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oooh, you're missing a good one. I think I'll go ahead and nominate it for this month, even though I don't realistically expect it to win.
Great! (I doubt it too
Old 07-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #635
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Saltation by Lee & Miller is just £1.49 at Amazon UK at the moment.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #636
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Good price. And with Fledgling available free, one has the first two books in the Theo arc for less than $1 USD each. (The Pound being in the toilet right now.)

Charlie.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #637
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Saltation by Lee & Miller is just £1.49 at Amazon UK at the moment.
Great deal - thanks for spreading the word!

Quote:
Good price. And with Fledgling available free, one has the first two books in the Theo arc for less than $1 USD each. (The Pound being in the toilet right now.)

Charlie.
Good point. It would actually be a pretty decent place to start the series too, if someone wanted to give it a try, without investing too much up front.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:26 AM   #638
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Good point. It would actually be a pretty decent place to start the series too, if someone wanted to give it a try, without investing too much up front.
Agreed, it's a definite entry point. Less "Liaden" than some other story arcs in the series, but that also means there is zero dependence on earlier books. The authors have suggested it as an entry point, and I agree. Plus, I rather like Theo as a character.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #639
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
I'm currently doing a partial reread of this series, starting with Mouse and Dragon, but skipping Agent of Change. (I've read it enough!) I've been having a really crap month and wanted some comfort reading. As always, the Liaden books have not disappointed. I'm up through I Dare, and now hitting the Theo Waitley sequence starting at Fledgling. Mostly these have been Audible reads, though I've also been switching to the eBook when I had actual time to sit and read. The plan is to finish up to the current book and by then I'm hoping the new Ava Lee book from Ian Hamilton (The Mountain Master of Sha Tin) will be sitting on my Kindle. (I know, that's not even close to a Liaden Universe series, but they are fun.)
Just bopping by after having been MIA for a while.

I usually do a re-read of the series, or at least one tangent of the books at least once a year. As you said, they are my comfort read. Other comfort reads, for me, are C.E. Murphy's The Walker Papers series, Seanan McGuire's October Daye series and her Incryptid series, and Eric Flint's 1632 series. I finally paused in my re-reads of David Weber's Honor Harrington series; I'm letting that lie fallow for a while.

I can't wait for Commander Vepal to go to Surebleak and meet the new/old Xtrang. I love how we are gradually learning more about that branch of humanity.

I wonder if we will ever get stories about what is happening with Rhys on his journey?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #640
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Found in E-mail today:

Quote:
Hi folks,

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Accepting the Lance is now available as an eARC! Get your copy today! https://www.baen.com/accepting-the-lance-earc.html

Enjoy!

NEW NOVEL IN THE NATIONALLY BEST-SELLING LIADEN UNIVERSE® SERIES. Sequel to national bestseller Neogenesis.

Exiled from Liad after bombing a city to save it from The Department of the Interior’s infernal weapons and plans, Clan Korval has gone to ground on the back-water planet Surebleak, whose people are as untamed as its weather. The old Boss-controlled fiefdoms largely fell to Pat Rin yos’Phelium’s influence, but the world is restive, the influx of outworld lawyers, guns, and money a brewpot for armed dissatisfaction.

Far beyond the surface of frigid Surebleak Korval’s farflung trade network needs a serious reset to recover from exile. From flagship Dutiful Passage to the experimental—if centuries old—self-aware Bechimo co-captained by the Delm’s blood-sister Theo Waitley, the clan’s ships are prowling space lanes seeking trade. Meanwhile, Old Tech from a failed universe—the ancient but revived Tinsori Light—and the machinations of the mysterious Uncle are coalescing into dangerous opportunity or nefarious trap.

And the Department of the Interior is not done with Clan Korval yet. They seek a final fully reckoned revenge, with Surebleak and Korval’s ships and people everywhere in the crosshairs.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:21 AM   #641
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Thanks, Bernie. Sadly, this is perhaps the first Liaden book since the authors moved to Baen where I can't buy the eARC. And it IS killing me!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:23 AM   #642
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just bopping by after having been MIA for a while.

I usually do a re-read of the series, or at least one tangent of the books at least once a year. As you said, they are my comfort read. Other comfort reads, for me, are C.E. Murphy's The Walker Papers series, Seanan McGuire's October Daye series and her Incryptid series, and Eric Flint's 1632 series. I finally paused in my re-reads of David Weber's Honor Harrington series; I'm letting that lie fallow for a while.

I can't wait for Commander Vepal to go to Surebleak and meet the new/old Xtrang. I love how we are gradually learning more about that branch of humanity.

I wonder if we will ever get stories about what is happening with Rhys on his journey?
I should have replied to this when you first posted, but consider adding one more to your comfort list --- Cherryh's Foreigner series. I've just been through a re-read and it definitely has stood the test of time and multiple re-reads. (The Audible versions are particularly good, btw.)
Old 09-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #643
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The authors have announced the title of their next plus one Liaden book: Trader's Leap
Quote:
TRADER’S LEAP the twenty-third novel in the long-running and much-feted Liaden Universe® created and co-written by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, will be TURNED IN on September 30, 2019. At this point, it is tentatively scheduled for publication in late 2020.
(Note: Accepting the Lance, the 22nd book in the Liaden Universe, is out in eARC and will be in general release on the first Tuesday of December. )
Old 09-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #644
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
That's good news, Charlie. Really like the Jethry books.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #645
Victoria
Wizard

Great news! Thanks Charlie. I reread Jethri books recently (again) and really enjoyed them. There’s so much more of his story to unfold.