Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
Allreader
Allreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Paragraph breaks become page breaks when converting to mobi

I got an ebook that when viewed in Calibre as epub looks fine and normal. But when I send it to my Kindle or view it in Calibre as a mobi, all the paragraph breaks get converted to page breaks (so each paragraph is on its own page).

I checked the CSS and nothing jumps out at me as wrong (but admittedly I don't really know what I'm looking for). And it only seems to happen with this one book. I'm wondering if anyone's seen this before or knows how to fix it.

Thanks!
Allreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will be vecause it has class="chapter" on all its paragraphs. Change the page break detection setting in the conversion dialog under structure detection to / and you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
Allreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It will be vecause it has class="chapter" on all its paragraphs.
Ah, yes, it definitely does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Change the page break detection setting in the conversion dialog under structure detection to / and you will be fine.
That didn't seem to fix it. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Added a couple screenshots showing the setting and result is still chapter-per-page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre chapter detection.png
Views:	762
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	177185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre viewer book.png
Views:	419
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	177186  
Old 02-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to change the options in the conversion dialog of that book.

See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...for-conversion
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #5
Allreader

Ahhh, I didn't realize Calibre saved conversion settings per book. That's great. And that worked, thank you!
Advert
Old 06-29-2021, 02:18 AM   #6
bigkid
bigkid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glow HD
Hi Kovid. I seem to be having the same problem with an AZW converted to epub. I expect I am doing something wrong. I have @class='chapter' in my Detect chapters drop down on the Convert/Structure detection. I expect I misunderstood the instruction. I have variously tried changing @class='chapter' to @class='/', changed the chapter mark drop down to none, and put an '/' in the Insert page breaks drop down. Irrespective of what I do I get a 4500page book with one para per page. Can you please assist? Cheers, Allan

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajkfvd4XPdI2jq4g...E-poQ?e=T9agsM

Last edited by bigkid; 06-29-2021 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Added pic
bigkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:08 AM   #7
bigkid
bigkid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glow HD
I ended up fixing this using the Calibre editor, merging the pages into chapters. Worked fine.
bigkid is offline   Reply With Quote