Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
dsram
dsram began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
your kindle needs repair.

my kindle restarts many times then this message appears "your kindle needs repair."

i tried recovery mode but in vain, the kindle folder folder is empty even from any system files!

is there any way to restore the original firmware back?

it is kindle (Free 3G)
dsram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
At this point I'd call or email Amazon Kindle Support - your Kindle obviously needs professional help. Log into the Amazon website on this webpage http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470 and click the "Contact Us" button - select either email or phone to ask for help.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
The phone number I have for Amazon is 800.383.7068, fyi
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
dsram
dsram began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
the problem is that i live in Egypt and i cannot call amazon from here, it will cost much.
even when i send them e-mail they replayed asking me to call!

any one has any solution for this issue?
dsram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsram View Post
the problem is that i live in Egypt and i cannot call amazon from here, it will cost much.
even when i send them e-mail they replayed asking me to call!

any one has any solution for this issue?
They probably want to talk you through some reset/troubleshooting steps. Send them an email back and ask for a toll free number you can use in Egypt to contact them.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
or sign up for Skype. I used to have a plan with them that was $13/mo and I could call anywhere in the world unlimited to regular phone numbers. I don't need to do international calling anymore, but it worked great.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I got that message too:
Quote:
Repair Needed

Your Kindle Needs Repair.

Please call Amazon Customer Service at
1-800-231-8851 or 1-206-266-0927
Here is the solution:

I entered to "Recovery Mode" by hold "HOME" button for a couple of seconds while restarting (exactly while the screen flashes from black to white before "Amazon Kindle" logo appearance), then I got this message:
Quote:
Type ‘RESET’ to reset to factory defaults
I typed it then the system reset has been done successfully, and I have ability to use my Kindle normally again.

For more details about recovery mode:
http://blogkindle.com/2009/03/kindle-2-recovery-mode/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Your Kindle Needs Repair.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	57423  

Last edited by meem; 08-30-2010 at 10:28 PM.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... the problem is that i live in Egypt ...

Contact the authorized dealer from whom you bought the device. NO ONE HERE has ANY authority to help you. Assuming it is a new Kindle, your dealer should have some sort of a warranty replacement mechanism for you.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
fastesthamster
fastesthamster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... the problem is that i live in Egypt ...

Contact the authorized dealer from whom you bought the device. NO ONE HERE has ANY authority to help you. Assuming it is a new Kindle, your dealer should have some sort of a warranty replacement mechanism for you.
Since it is possible to order Kindles directly from Amazon, it could be that Amazon is his dealer.

Sounds like Meem's advice is the best, with the least probability of him bricking his device.
fastesthamster is offline   Reply With Quote