Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
jimnutt
jimnutt began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Droid / Kindle
Calibre and Aldiko

Is there any possibility of having Calibre directly insert books into the Aldiko metadata? I've been looking into the code and Aldiko stores it's metadata in a sqlite database at /sdcard/Aldiko/library. The schema for the database is pretty straightforward and there's nothing obfuscated anywhere. I'm looking at taking a crack at writing the device driver myself, but it's a bit of a daunting proposition (good excuse to learn python though). I was just wondering if anybody else had looked into it or has started a similar project. I suspect someone familiar with the calibre code could crank this out in a day or two, it's going to take me longer
jimnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It would be fun to give it a shot, but I don't have a 'droid phone, so no can do.

timlegge has done something similar for the Kobo, so you might want to talk to him to see if his code offers a leg up.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
tonyx3
Connoisseur
tonyx3 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus One
I thought about that, but I went with a workaround instead, and just added the url of calibre's content server into Aldiko as a custom catalog.

I don't ever plug my phone in and add books over usb anymore. It's easier to do it over wifi. I guess if I wanted to add a whole bunch at once, it might be better via usb, but usually it's just one or two at a time for me, so I convert them in calibre, then d/l them via Aldiko's catalog feature.
tonyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyx3 View Post
I thought about that, but I went with a workaround instead, and just added the url of calibre's content server into Aldiko as a custom catalog.
Several people have reported that Aldiko has a problem with Calibre's content server. As you seem to have it working, could you comment on how?

See http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5884 and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=967669
Old 06-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
tonyx3
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Several people have reported that Aldiko has a problem with Calibre's content server. As you seem to have it working, could you comment on how?

See http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5884 and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=967669
Sure. I didn't know about the /stanza link to the opds, so I just entered the iport in the url line, and Aldiko displays the web page version of the server.

It doesn't look like a proper catalog, but it's internal to Aldiko, so I don't have to download it, then open it to add it to the Aldiko library, which is what you have to do if you access the content server from the Android browser. Just a single click on the 'epub' link of the desired book sends it straight into Aldiko.

It's not perfect, but it works to get my latest book or two onto my phone without the hassle of plugging it in.
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
msr
msr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
If you have wifi at home, you could install FTPserver on your phone, turn it on and turn your phone into a little ftp hub, then ftp from your computer to the phone to transfer files without having to physically plug it in via the usb. Still requires a few extra steps to get from calibre -> aldiko (e.g., loading the books into aldiko once they'r on the phone), but at least you'd skip the cable.
msr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
tonyx3
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr View Post
If you have wifi at home, you could install FTPserver on your phone, turn it on and turn your phone into a little ftp hub, then ftp from your computer to the phone to transfer files without having to physically plug it in via the usb. Still requires a few extra steps to get from calibre -> aldiko (e.g., loading the books into aldiko once they'r on the phone), but at least you'd skip the cable.
True, but you can do that anyway just by pointing the browser at calibre's url.

Incorporating that url into the custom catalog feature of Aldiko allows direct download, without any extra steps, although it doesn't display it as a proper opds catalog, it is usable.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
gpritchard
gpritchard began at the beginning.

I have been in touch with the developers, and they are working to fix the Aldiko <<>> Calibre issues.

I would not be at all surprised if the next version of Aldiko fixes these problems.
gpritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
pajen
pajen began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505/HTC Legend
I see your point, I would also like to be able to sync to Aldiko. That way you can do bulk uploads, get tags/collections working etc. I looked at the /aldiko/library.db, and it is a SQLite database, works fine with python. I have also looked at the calibre source but it looks kind of complex. I would like to be able to:
1. detect an android phone w Aldiko.
2. get/put list of books on device
3. get/put/delete books
4. add collections from calibre tags to the library.db
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

/paj
pajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
gpritchard
gpritchard began at the beginning.

I have worked with the Aldiko developers to identify and correct the problems with browsing, searching and downloading from the Calibre OPDS server. All of these issues should be addressed in an upcoming update to the app. Just keep an an eye out for updates in the Android Market.

Regards

G
gpritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajen View Post
I see your point, I would also like to be able to sync to Aldiko. That way you can do bulk uploads, get tags/collections working etc. I looked at the /aldiko/library.db, and it is a SQLite database, works fine with python. I have also looked at the calibre source but it looks kind of complex. I would like to be able to:
1. detect an android phone w Aldiko.
2. get/put list of books on device
3. get/put/delete books
4. add collections from calibre tags to the library.db
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

/paj
I would add metadata correction. This list describes what the Sony driver does, albeit with a different database and its own Sony-style complexities.

My guess is an Aldiko driver would be around a week of work, shorter if good documentation of the DB exists. I would be happy to do it, if an android phone were to appear.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
pajen
pajen began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505/HTC Legend
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I would add metadata correction. This list describes what the Sony driver does, albeit with a different database and its own Sony-style complexities.

My guess is an Aldiko driver would be around a week of work, shorter if good documentation of the DB exists. I would be happy to do it, if an android phone were to appear.
Yes I have a PRS505 and love the calibre integration... I also have an android phone and think that Aldiko is the bee's knees.
Unfortunately I have no extra Android phone for you... ;-) but how about the free android emulator...?
http://openhandsetmagazine.com/2008/...roid-emulator/
Maybe I can help in other ways? I just think that the existing drivers are a bit hard to follow. Haven't spent that much time with it though.
/paj
pajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajen View Post
Yes I have a PRS505 and love the calibre integration... I also have an android phone and think that Aldiko is the bee's knees.
Unfortunately I have no extra Android phone for you... ;-) but how about the free android emulator...?
Using the emulator might work, but it would give all the 'pain' of development for no 'gain'.
Quote:
I just think that the existing drivers are a bit hard to follow. Haven't spent that much time with it though.
Yea, the intelligent drivers, such as for Sony, iTunes, and Kobo, are complicated. In addition, my guess is that doing it right will require not only building the driver, but also some changes in basic device management in the GUI to distinguish between the various sub-flavors of Android readers.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
I'm trying to get the Calibre server and Aldiko to play together, but not all is well. I used
http://URL:8080/stanza and can browse and download ebooks! Hurray! However for some reason I cannot get user authentication to work. It works when I use the Android browser, but not from within Aldiko. I'm not sure what I might need to do to get this working. I'm assuming since it works with the browser, that the problem is at the Aldiko end of things, but I thought it worth asking.,
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
I'm trying to get the Calibre server and Aldiko to play together, but not all is well. I used
http://URL:8080/stanza and can browse and download ebooks! Hurray! However for some reason I cannot get user authentication to work. It works when I use the Android browser, but not from within Aldiko. I'm not sure what I might need to do to get this working. I'm assuming since it works with the browser, that the problem is at the Aldiko end of things, but I thought it worth asking.,
Christmas day and the wife has purchased an Archos 7o Tablet. Like the user above, the browser will access the content server (but not download EPUBs so far or PDFs - only txt). Aldiko will not authenticate with the C/S, however, I can access it by removing the password.

To get authentication working, I've tried:
http://URL:8080/
http://URL:8080/stanza
http://URL:8080/opds
and each variation with:
http://userass@URL:8080

If there is anyone who is downloading EPUBs with Android Froyo's Browser or accessing the C/S authenticated with Aldiko I'd appreciate tips.

BTW, I know I have the options of connecting the Android device as an ereader (USB), using Save to Disk and Connect to Folder, but the content server is my normal access method.

Thanks for any info.
(Aldiko is Ver. 1.2.10)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote