Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #136
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I think I transferred all the books with 0.7.6, so I will try again with 0.7.7.

Thanks again

Christo
Old 07-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #137
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
There seems to be a sorting problem in 7.7. Calibre now uses decimal series order number - 5.000 instead of 005, for example - and, although this still sorts correctly in itunes, it doesn't sort correctly on the iPad.
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #138
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I am traveling, will take a look at this when I get back to my development environment.

G
Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #139
xansan
xansan began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Hi there this is about the dictionary issue:

I have a Spanish computer (windows 7) Spanish itunes 9.2.061 and Spanish iPad. I am trying to read English books and magazines formatted and/or downloaded with Calibre but i can never acces to the dictionary whatever the combination.

English books downloaded from ibookstore, dictionary works fine, Spanish books downloaded from the ibookstore show "dictionary not available" kind of message so my guess is there isn't a Spanish dict. Available yet.

I have tried with Calibre 7.8 in English, in Spanish, clearing the library of itunes/ ipad each time, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas/recomendations?

Thanks.

Last edited by xansan; 07-11-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #140
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Change calibre's interface language to English in Preferences, then exit calibre.

Go to the 'If you have problems ...' section in the first post, follow the directions for 'Calibre doesn't crash, but it's not doing what I expect'. Follow the same steps you used to send the book to iTunes. Post the debug trace here.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 07-11-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #141
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
There seems to be a sorting problem in 7.7. Calibre now uses decimal series order number - 5.000 instead of 005, for example - and, although this still sorts correctly in itunes, it doesn't sort correctly on the iPad.
Fixed in next release.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 07-12-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #142
xansan
xansan began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Change calibre's interface language to English in Preferences, then exit calibre.

Go to the 'If you have problems ...' section in the first post, follow the directions for 'Calibre doesn't crash, but it's not doing what I expect'. Follow the same steps you used to send the book to iTunes. Post the debug trace here.

G
Thanks GRiker:

I just changed Calibre to English, downloaded the magazine I was interested in and sent it to iTunes and sincronized iPad: DICTIONARY NOW WORKS AS A CHARM.

Obviously, I was doing something wrong before

Hopefully I can repeat the right procedure later

I am keeping the log of what I did, in case anyone is interested: beware, it is mostly clutter about downloading the magazine.

Summing up the basic details about languages:
Windows 7 Spanish
Itunes Spanish
Ipad Spanish
Calibre 7.8 set to English
Magazine English (the Economist)

Thanks again to you, and of course to Kovid and everyone bringing us this amazing tool: for two years it has happily navigated me through a Sony PRS-505.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #143
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
tlrowley, I have a question for you. Is it sorting correctly for you on some series, but not all? Where I am seeing the problem is with series that hit ten or more books. I am getting them sorted as 1,10,11,12,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 or 1,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,2,20,21,22,3,4,5,6 ,7,8,9. For series that are under ten books they sort fine. I just wanted to make sure I am have having the same problem.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #144
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I don't have any double-digit series, sorry. What format series numbers are you seeing in itunes? 001, 010, or 1.000 and 10.000? Sounds like it could be the same problem (or very closely related).
Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #145
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore

In iTunes they are showing as 1.000 and 10.000. After searching a bit more, I found a couple of shorter series that are sorting incorrectly too. Some of the shorter ones are OK, but all of the longer ones are not right. It does seems to be the same.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #146
GRiker

tlrowley, kathyfitz: This is fixed in the next release, the problem was related to adding support for series indices with decimal values. If you want to test the updated driver, send me a PM with your email address and which OS you're using.

G
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #147
tknofetish
tknofetish began at the beginning.

First off, let me start by saying that Calibre is an awesome program, and GRiker and Kovid are without doubt crazy big-time heroes for all the work and support they put in via these forums. I'm currently upgrading my 750+ ebook library from Mobipocket Reader on a five-year old Treo 650 to my fancy new iPad, and Calibre has made the job simple, enjoyable and highly rewarding. Except, of course, for the one tiny little annoying problem I'm here to post about, that is...

What on Earth is up with iTunes's sort order for imported books? I'm successfully sending books to iTunes via Calibre with no trouble, but as soon as they get into iTunes they shift into a random (but repeatable) sort order that appears to have nothing to do with anything. It's not related to title, author, series or any of the "Sort" versions of the same, it's not based on the string you add to the Composer field, and it's definitely not based on Date Added (to either Calibre or iTunes). And yet no matter what, my books always sort into exactly the same mixed-up order, no matter how many times I add or delete them, and even after I alter the metadata and reconvert, they still sort in the same crazy pattern.

This wouldn't be too horrible except that the sort order in iTunes is also the sort order on the Bookshelf view on the iPad itself, and I'm waaay to OCD to live with a scrambled mess like that. The question is whether I'm OCD enough to sort 750 books by hand on the iPad (and then do it all AGAIN on my iPhone), or if there's some sort of method for Calibre to overcome this limitation. I'm fairly certain the problem is in iTunes and not Calibre, however, because the same sort behavior occurs when I manually add the epub files to iTunes without using Calibre to send them. So I don't think this is a Calibre bug or issue, but I am hoping you all are aware of it and have developed some sort of a workaround...

I've searched all over the internet (here, Apple support forums, Threepress, every Google search imaginable, etc...) and haven't really found a whole lot of discussion on this issue. There's no way I'm the only person out there with a very large ebook library that cares about how the bookshelf view is presented (it seems like "very large ebook library" and "OCD" would be two categories with a lot of overlap)... So I'll put it to all of you - how are you sorting your collections? Are you ignoring the bookshelf view and just using Author/Category/Title (PS: LOVE the series in the Category Field function!)? Are you sorting by hand? Is there a simple switch in Calibre or iTunes somewhere I'm missing? Am I the only one experiencing this weirdness? Or has everyone just gone back to Stanza?

If it matters, I am using the most recent version of Calibre (0.7.8) with iTunes 9.2 on Windows. And if this would be better placed in the “Apple” forum, I can try it there, as well. That said, any thoughts or feedback you all might have would be greatly appreciated. And to Kovid and GRiker, thanks again for all your great work...
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #148
GRiker

tknofetish:
On behalf of all the calibre contributors, thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated.

With respect to the Bookshelf sort order, books are organized by the order you added them, with the most recent addition in the first visible slot. As you know, you can reorganize them by dragging them around, but that's crazy. It would be nice if you could choose the sort order in the database view (author/title/category), then switch to bookshelf view and have that order retained, but I don't think that's possible.

The only half-workable solution is to control the order in which you add the books, but that's only satisfying until you add the next book which belongs in the middle of the pack.

As a result, I only use the database view, usually sorted by Category.

G
Old 07-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #149
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore

I was just going to say the same thing. The bookshelf view is awfully pretty, but with no way to sort or organize it just too messy for me!

BTW - the new sorting works great!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #150
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

You can't sort it, but you can drag it into an order you like and that order will be preserved. New books would get added to the very top, though.
Closed Thread