Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
consilient
consilient began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
prs-500 stuck at "starting up" after universal flasher

Hi.

I tried the universal flasher and managed to get it stuck at "starting up..." forever. I did soft reset, hard reset, unbricking, uninstalling then re-installing libprs500 and Sony Connect, while recharging.
Nothing seems to work.

I was trying to install new fonts(Korean) with the flasher btw.

Any idea will be appreciated.
consilient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yah, that can happen if you don't get the fonts just exactly right, I've been there myself.

The way to break the cycle is to (first take your SD card out!) do the 10 times reset trick (which is just what it sounds like: reset and restart 10 times in a row). That'll toss it into firmware update mode, then you just feed it the standard firmware (you'll need your PC for that, of course) and it'll re-update itself to that firmware.

Then you can have another go at your custom updates. I'd start those over from scratch though, since something is evidently off. The fonts are the most likely culprit there, they're pretty finicky.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
consilient

Thanks for replying quickly, NatCh.

I had tried reset more than 20 times continuously I'm sure of it. Didn't do any good for me. I finally got it turned off completely by pressing the reset again, right when it's trying to reboot after a reset.
I ran the updater.
Now it's stuck at "Upgrading firmware now" for about an hour.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great, that's where you want to be: connect it to your PC and feed it the standard firmware package, that'll return it to the un-altered firmware state.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
consilient

I sat here for two hours thinking why being stuck at updating was a good thing.
Then I realized that I forgot to reinstall the Vista driver for the reader. After all the installing and uninstalling trying different stuff, I plain forgot there was no driver anymore.
Duhh..
Everything is back to normal now. Plus I got some ugly Korean fonts to work with the reader.
Thanks again, NatCh. You're great.
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Glad I could help.

Oh, and welcome to MobileRead, consilient!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
frodox
frodox began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500
Hi, can you tell me where did you find this firmware???!!! I need this urgent!!! Please...

Last edited by frodox; 05-17-2010 at 07:18 PM.
frodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 AM   #8
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodox View Post
Hi, can you tell me where did you find this firmware???!!! I need this urgent!!! Please...
http://download.sony.com/prs/prs-505...1.00.18040.exe

Just run it and it will wait for you to connect your PRS-505 and then it will update its firmware.
Only problem you can run into is that it may tell you you all ready have the latest firmware. In that case you'll either need to edit a file or get an updated version from mobileread. If you can't find it I'll try to get it from my archive.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
frodox
frodox began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500
Thank you, but i have prs 500, is it compatible with mine?
frodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #10
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodox View Post
Thank you, but i have prs 500, is it compatible with mine?
I thought that 500 was a typo but yes there is no standard install for the 500 only the 505 and later.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote