Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #256
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by book.p View Post
I kept it on for over 3 hours last night, and the font issue did seem to improve slightly. But then when I switched back to the book I was reading (the one in the images) the fading came back badly.
Sounds like it might be a problem with that book.

Have you tried some others? And some other fonts?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #257
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by book.p View Post
I kept it on for over 3 hours last night, and the font issue did seem to improve slightly. But then when I switched back to the book I was reading (the one in the images) the fading came back badly.

If I know for certain that there wouldn't be any font issues in a replacement device, I would ask for another. But I'm not sure that the WHSmith store would allow me try out each device checking for font issues lol
Have you tried changing your page refresh to every page instead of every six? I have it set to refresh on every page for exactly this reason!
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #258
book.p
book.p began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm sorry you're having such a horrible experience. That's just not nice at all. New things should be fun and work right away. Very dangerous if it doesn't, as, like what happened with you, it puts the user off and creates distrust in the device.

As for the font issue, have you tried the other fonts? Does it happen with all the fonts? Does it always happen in the same area of the screen (I can't see it very well on your second picture), or does that vary? And, does it happen to all books or just the one example?

If it happens with everything everywhere it's probably the device. I haven't read or heard anyone else have this issue, so in my opinion it would be worth giving the Kobo Glo another chance by exchanging it. Your device is faulty, it's hardly fair to swear off the Glo completely because you were unlucky enough to receive a broken one. Having said that, I do understand your frustration and wanting to stay on the safe side. Good luck.

UPDATE: Book.p, a similar font thickness issue has been reported in the link below. Advice given was to try and set page refresh from 6 to 1 (from within advanced settings in the book menu). https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88#post2259291
I tried most of the fonts, and the issue appears in all of them. Caecilia and Georgia seem to be the best. The fading can vary throughout the whole screen, but the worst examples appear on the top and bottom of the screen. It happens in all of the books I've tried, but with varying degrees of fading.

If it wasn't for the font/e-ink issues, I would be incredibly happy with my Glo. I have poor eyesight in one eye that gets worse at night, and the light makes such a difference. I can't read without my glasses, and unfortunately my glasses only enlarge the font issues.

I changed the page refresh to one, and it hasn't made a huge difference. If others haven't had any of these issues, then I would agree most likely my device is faulty.

I'll have to check that the store would allow me to check a replacement in-store. Thanks for all the help!
book.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #259
book.p
book.p began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevormorse View Post
Have you tried changing your page refresh to every page instead of every six? I have it set to refresh on every page for exactly this reason!
I've change the refresh page to one, and sadly it hasn't made a huge improvement. I don't have the terrible fading in the first image I posted, but there's still noticeable fading and random weights in the letters. As I wear glasses for reading, the problems are magnified.
book.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #260
vanyll
vanyll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello all!
I have been a proud owner of a Kindle 3 Keyboard but couldn't resist buying a Kobo Glo. The added light and the higher resolution were just too tempting. Why not the Kindle PW? First of all, I got a bit annoyed by Amazon not supplying the PW with a MicroSD slot and secondly, I really like the Kobo design. (The technology seems to be practically the same, so it all comes down to design and feeling for me...) So I preordered it with FNAC France (I'm in Switzerland, btw) and it has already arrived this Monday.
My résumé so far: I'm impressed! The higher resolution and the better processor are clearly an improvement over my old Kindle, the light is very evenly distributed across the screen and it's a pleasure to read with all the possible tweaks one can apply to the type face. Nevertheless, I also had the feeling that some lines or words would fade away slightly over time. After setting the refresh rate to every page instead of every 6th or 3rd, the type face got very crisp and dark again.
Has anyone else ordered at FNAC? The pictures some of you posted in this thread show the Glo with nice screensaver with the book cover and the percentages read message. What I get when I power the Glo off is a (rather ugly) FNAC logo, which is a bit of a letdown. I hope that future firmware allows to change these "screensaver" pictures - together with perhaps some password protection.
vanyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #261
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyll View Post
Has anyone else ordered at FNAC? The pictures some of you posted in this thread show the Glo with nice screensaver with the book cover and the percentages read message. What I get when I power the Glo off is a (rather ugly) FNAC logo, which is a bit of a letdown. I hope that future firmware allows to change these "screensaver" pictures - together with perhaps some password protection.
The screensaver might be forced by FNAC, but there might be some options. Go into the settings and look for the "Sleep & Power" page. That should have settings for how long until the reader sleeps. And there are settings for the screensaver. It is possible the FNAC version has removed them, but they might just default to off.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #262
vanyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The screensaver might be forced by FNAC, but there might be some options. Go into the settings and look for the "Sleep & Power" page. That should have settings for how long until the reader sleeps. And there are settings for the screensaver. It is possible the FNAC version has removed them, but they might just default to off.
Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately there's no option to get another screensaver. Too bad...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #263
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately there's no option to get another screensaver. Too bad...
There's no option to show covers in those settings?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #264
fedcod
fedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Pocketbook 623
change screensaver from fnac logo to cover pic

You can check this thread to change screensaver from fnac logo to the cover of the book you're reading :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...24#post2251624

Quote:
Hello all!
I have been a proud owner of a Kindle 3 Keyboard but couldn't resist buying a Kobo Glo. The added light and the higher resolution were just too tempting. Why not the Kindle PW? First of all, I got a bit annoyed by Amazon not supplying the PW with a MicroSD slot and secondly, I really like the Kobo design. (The technology seems to be practically the same, so it all comes down to design and feeling for me...) So I preordered it with FNAC France (I'm in Switzerland, btw) and it has already arrived this Monday.
My résumé so far: I'm impressed! The higher resolution and the better processor are clearly an improvement over my old Kindle, the light is very evenly distributed across the screen and it's a pleasure to read with all the possible tweaks one can apply to the type face. Nevertheless, I also had the feeling that some lines or words would fade away slightly over time. After setting the refresh rate to every page instead of every 6th or 3rd, the type face got very crisp and dark again.
fedcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #265
vanyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedcod View Post
You can check this thread to change screensaver from fnac logo to the cover of the book you're reading :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...24#post2251624
Thanks a lot, this worked!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #266
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I think depending on new firmware for a new product to work properly is unacceptable. I am glad I read the posts here. I think I will stay with Kindle.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #267
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
My experience with Kobo was a nightmare. These posts (even the ones only complaining about having to periodically reset) remind me of those days. I think I will pass.
Heard you the first time... Not sure why you keep coming onto this thread to post non-constructive comments?
Which Kobo do you own? What specifics problems did you have? Your last post actually makes you sound like a Kindle owner dissing the Kobo devices: "I think I will stay with Kindle"...

The firmware is the same for 3 Kobo devices, the new Glo and Mini and the existing Touch so I find your last comment somewhat irrelevant, the firmware is a update which happens to also be used on the new devices.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #268
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
The tech sites usually rate the Kindle higher as well for reading experience. I have compared my Kindle to my neighbours Kobo and the Kindle is sharper and page turns are faster.

But, everyone has their own experience so it doesn't really matter.
And this post just cements my previous opinion: Kindle owner posting negative comments about Kobo...must have Amazon shares...although anyone reading the Kindle threads right now can see that the Paperwhite seems to have serious problems with the hardware quality control.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-11-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #269
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I guess being Canadian I am frustrated and expressing that. I would LOVE to own a Kobo but they don't measure up.

You are right that this is the wrong forum to express those sentiments. I will be off....struggle on neighbours.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #270
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I guess being Canadian I am frustrated and expressing that. I would LOVE to own a Kobo but they don't measure up.
Sure they do. There's nothing about the Kobo Glo that's worse than the Kindle Paperwhite. In fact, it has a bonus micro SD slot *and* is (almost) available all over the place. Oh and another difference is: the Glo is prettier.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote