Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #1396
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluli View Post
still having to reset after editing a collection.... Could it be be because they are sideloaded fanfictions generated by FanficFare Plugin?
The recent firmwares from Amazon do seem to try keeping your account records/files in-sync in almost real time.

It might be that they have only been testing with their own products and have not (yet) found the sort of problem you are having with sideloaded materials.

What does Amazon Customer Service have to say about it?
There should be no difference in the collections created by either ixtab's or Amazon's collection creations.
Have you tried using the Amazon supplied collection features with these sideloaded materials?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #1397
saluli
Connoisseur
saluli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3,
I still did not contact amazon, cause I was afraid it was something caused by jailbreaking. Using the Amazon way to add contents also gets stuck on the collections page, the only way to get out is by reseting.
saluli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #1398
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I still did not contact amazon, cause I was afraid it was something caused by jailbreaking. Using the Amazon way to add contents also gets stuck on the collections page, the only way to get out is by reseting.
Resetting or Restarting?
There is one heck of a big difference.

The "jailbreaking" only adds one small file to the Amazon system image, our signature certificate.
The only time that file is referenced is during the installation of a update_*.bin filename format package.
It is never referenced by anything just in running the Kindle and its operation.
So it can not possibly be a cause of the problems, and there is no reason for you to mention it to customer service.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #1399
RX-78-2
RX-78-2 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3?
Would ADambi's binary for 5.8.8 work on 5.8.9, or does it need to be recompiled with libraries for 5.8.9?
RX-78-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #1400
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78-2 View Post
Would ADambi's binary for 5.8.8 work on 5.8.9, or does it need to be recompiled with libraries for 5.8.9?
It would be expected to not work.

Almost.
The Java code is obfuscated and the obfuscation changes with each build (that is: per build ID).

So some glue code needs to be written to, for instance, call the method whose name was Icx last time by whatever its name is today.
And then recompiled (same libraries, different names).

A real maintenance headache.
Advert
Old 05-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #1401
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADambi View Post
Display redraw fix from desterly, support for 5.8.8 added, untested.

how to get CM working on PW3 firmw 5.8.8 ?
Or how to apply "your patches" ??
or any link to get AZW2 working on my PW3 ??

Thanx in advance
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #1402
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoralvarez View Post

how to get CM working on PW3 firmw 5.8.8 ?
Or how to apply "your patches" ??
or any link to get AZW2 working on my PW3 ??

Thanx in advance
Congratulations!
You have hit a new low by providing even less information than saying that something is: "Broke".
For a release that is untested but where it is implied that it is expected to work, you imply that it is not.
With such striking detail in your trouble report, how can any sane person answer anything except:
Yup, sort of, maybe.

The patches apply to the source code.
Clone one of the public repositories to get your own copy of the source code.
Scroll up a ways, links to two of the three where posted recently in this thread.

KUAL is an AZW2 - Does it work on your PW3?
If not, why not.

Last edited by knc1; 05-04-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #1403
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Congratulations!
You have hit a new low by providing even less information than saying that something is: "Broke".
For a release that is untested but where it is implied that it is expected to work, you imply that it is not.
With such striking detail in your trouble report, how can any sane person answer anything except:
Yup, sort of, maybe.

The patches apply to the source code.
Clone one of the public repositories to get your own copy of the source code.
Scroll up a ways, links to two of the three where posted recently in this thread.

KUAL is an AZW2 - Does it work on your PW3?
If not, why not.
I have already downloaded the CM azw2 file from the last link with patches and fortunately it works directly on my PW3 firm 5.8.8
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #1404
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoralvarez View Post
I have already downloaded the CM azw2 file from the last link with patches and fortunately it works directly on my PW3 firm 5.8.8
Then why did you ask how to get it to work, if it works when you try it?
Asking how to get it to work implies that you tried and failed.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #1405
saluli
Connoisseur
saluli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3,
Quote:

Almost.
The Java code is obfuscated and the obfuscation changes with each build (that is: per build ID).

So some glue code needs to be written to, for instance, call the method whose name was Icx last time by whatever its name is today.

It really doesn't work with this version. I Really have to block these silent updates, they always happen in the worst time possible, and most of the new features not work with the Brazilian Kindle books
saluli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:28 AM   #1406
denydias
denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
I Really have to block these silent updates, they always happen in the worst time possible, and most of the new features not work with the Brazilian Kindle books
It worth a try. I did that while in 5.4.0. Totally worth it.

Everything works just like a charm since. I'm from Brazil too and no PW update I did up to 5.4.0 gave me anything but problems with KUAL and friends. Not a single 'new' feature from Amazon were that useful, while KUAL always delivered.

I have documented the process here if you are interested, dating back from 2014 tough.

Last edited by denydias; 05-08-2017 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Typo.
denydias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #1407
brofeelgood
brofeelgood began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PW3, PW4
Quote:

Almost.
I am here, with a heavy heart, to confirm your suspicion. I had a working jailbroken PW3 that inadvertently got upgraded from 5.8.7 to 5.8.9, and CM has stopped working since. Now I get a popup saying: Unsupported Firmware - Your Kindle is running firmware 5.8.9, which is not supported by this version of Collections Manager.

Quote:

I've looked for ways to downgrade the firmware, but haven't found anything after several hours of searching. I understand from the main jailbreaking thread that the JB status on my Kindle probably survived the firmware upgrade to 5.8.9. Does this mean I still have hopes for a working CM somewhere down the road?

Last edited by brofeelgood; 05-11-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Add: the missing "." in the firmware version
brofeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #1408
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brofeelgood View Post
I am here, with a heavy heart, to confirm your suspicion. I had a working jailbroken PW3 that inadvertently got upgraded from 5.87 to 5.89, and CM has stopped working since. Now I get a popup saying: Unsupported Firmware - Your Kindle is running firmware 5.8.9, which is not supported by this version of Collections Manager.

I've looked for ways to downgrade the firmware, but haven't found anything after several hours of searching. I understand from the main jailbreaking thread that the JB status on my Kindle probably survived the firmware upgrade to 5.89. Does this mean I still have hopes for a working CM somewhere down the road?
Most everything can be 'fixed' by re-installing it.
But not things that deal with the internals of the Amazon firmware, like the Collections Manager.

There is a member or two here that contribute updates to CM from time to time.
But so far the most recently supported version is 5.8.8
(The '.' characters are field separators, not decimal points.)

Just subscribe to this thread, then you will get a copy of the posts e-mailed to you.
Which will include any update announcements.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #1409
brofeelgood
brofeelgood began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PW3, PW4
That's heartening, thanks for your clarification and advice knc1!
brofeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #1410
ADambi
Enthusiast
ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW2 5.4.5.1
Support for 5.8.9 added, untested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 0018-Support-for-firmware-5.8.9.x.patch.zip (679 Bytes, 235 views)
File Type: azw2 CollectionsManager.azw2 (645.5 KB, 248 views)
ADambi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks