Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
travelling with your T1

how do you guys/gals manage when bringing your T1 on vacation.. friend wants to bring hers on a 3 week vacation but will have not internet access nor computer...how to charge while on vacation !!!
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I don't have a T1, but I just have an ac charger for my 350 - my samsung phone charger works fine.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Although my reader is the 350, my AC charger for my cell phone also works on it, so she might find she has one compatible with her T1. Or, even if not used for internet, if she has a laptop/netbook she could take with, the reader could be charged off that, and also filled with more books in case she runs out.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bring the charger. If your friend is going to another country, make sure to have an adapter for the charger and that the charger is capable of 110-240 volts. My iGo wall charger works fine outside the US as long as I have a plug adapter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I've a swiss charger premium kit (universal charger) I've found it incredibly useful using it I could charge my reader from any plug in the world, the included 2500mah battery, a normal pc or a car.

As a bonus it charges pretty much every mobile phone going as well although it mostly is used with my iPod.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Maybe chargeing won't even be an issue at all for 3 weeks with wifi off?
But, like it has been said, lots of phone chargers will work fine.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Richdog
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcread View Post
how do you guys/gals manage when bringing your T1 on vacation.. friend wants to bring hers on a 3 week vacation but will have not internet access nor computer...how to charge while on vacation !!!
Umm... a standard Micro USB charger perhaps?

The questions on this forum frighten me sometimes.

ALternatively, get a portable charger like this, I have one and take it everywhere on my travels http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...qid=1333703489

Last edited by Richdog; 04-06-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdog View Post
Umm... a standard Micro USB charger perhaps?

The questions on this forum frighten me sometimes.
The issue in part at least is that not all Micro USB chargers seem to work with the T1, it's a moody little device About 80% of my chargers work, but some do not. OEM Chargers from Motorola, Samsung, Novatel and Amazon Kindle (regular and Fire) all seem to work. Apple chargers and some others do not work.

If you go this route, make sure to test the charger before you travel
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Just make sure your friend loads up on 3 weeks worth of reading. And just bring along a micro-usb charger. I used the one I have for my samsung smartphone. It works great and reduces the number of cables you need to bring on a trip. And as JSWolf mentioned if you are going out of the country make sure you have an international adapter for it.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Can you use a USB type car fitting in the ciggie socket - would it charge from 12v ?

Or would it bugger either car or T1.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
arciervo
arciervo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Can you use a USB type car fitting in the ciggie socket - would it charge from 12v ?

I had no luck using my (older) Scosche dual-USB car adapter with the Sony-supplied cable. As I recall, the T1 display blanked out completely and I had to reset the unit (although there was no lasting damage).

Possibly other adapters (with a higher current rating?) might work but I'm not aware of any.
arciervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post

Nope! That doesn't work. You need to use a charger that has a power source directly not one of those USB adapters that you plug a USB cable into. Those ones don't work.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I charge from a USB type car plug all the time.

But I do use my iGo cable and tip.

The iGo charge anywhere is both a wall charger and it has a battery pack inside. I can get at least two charges of my reader off the internal battery. And with an adapter can be charged from any wall outlet (100 - 240 volts) - http://www.igo.com/mobile-devices/ch...t/ps002730001/

They also make a device that uses 2 x AA batteries. http://www.igo.com/powerxtender-char...t/ps002640004/

Carry a handful of AA batteries and you are good to go even without a wall outlet.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Yeah the trick to charging anywhere is not using Sony's cable you want a charge only cable like the "swiss charger" or the "iGo" one Pinecone mentioned. I've found I'm able to charge from every USB source be it car adapters, apple adapter or anything else going.

With Sonys official sync cable (the one included) you are out of luck usually without a computer or an official Sony charger.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote