Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
tyrathca
tyrathca began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Wizard
Cannot get past Library

Received my Cybook yesterday. Let it charge overnight. When I press the powerbutton, the units boots and I'm presented with the library. When I use the up/down arrows it highlights a selection with the library and the little green light blinks when I press the buttons. When I press the center button to select a book, no green light and nothing happens after this. The screen is frozen and any buttons pressed have no affect. When I press the power button to turn it off, it boots instead, which makes me think the unit shuts off when I select a book.

Anyone encounter this problem? Once when I selected the Sherlock Holmes entry the screen partially turned black and stayed there. The reset button doesn't appeaer to do anything.

Thanks
tyrathca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Does the battery icon, at the bottom of the Library screen, indicate the battery is fully charged?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
tyrathca

Yes, at first the charging light was on, then it was off after overnight. The battery level says 100%.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrathca View Post
Yes, at first the charging light was on, then it was off after overnight. The battery level says 100%.

Have you attempted to press the Reset switch on the back of the Cybook? Or maybe you should, if that doesn't work, pull the battery pack completely out of the Cybook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
tyrathca

I have removed and reseated the battery. Power on to library no problem. Problem still present. Reset button has no visual effect. Seems to turn the unit off because after pressing the reset switch, all buttons become inactive (except the power button which turns the unit on after the splash screens). I tried pressing the reset switch, holding down the reset switch, holding down while pressing power button, all with no visual clues that something is going on.

Connecting the unit to my PC, I can browse the folders no problem. I even deleted everything in the ebook folder, thinking there may be corrupted content messing with the device. I loaded on ebook using the mobipocket software 'send to' function. On boot up of the device, that one ebook shows up, but the problem is still present.
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have removed and reseated the battery. Power on to library no problem. Problem still present. Reset button has no visual effect. Seems to turn the unit off because after pressing the reset switch, all buttons become inactive (except the power button which turns the unit on after the splash screens). I tried pressing the reset switch, holding down the reset switch, holding down while pressing power button, all with no visual clues that something is going on.

Connecting the unit to my PC, I can browse the folders no problem. I even deleted everything in the ebook folder, thinking there may be corrupted content messing with the device. I loaded on ebook using the mobipocket software 'send to' function. On boot up of the device, that one ebook shows up, but the problem is still present.

Okay... Sounds to me as if you need to have your firmware image *completely* re-installed! That happened to me once when I was attempting to install 0.98. They sent me a copy of 0.98 update which totally erased the OS firmware and then installed a new version. Hang in there and send them another email explaining the problem and detailing what you've done to attempt to solve it.

But first, have you, by any chance, installed any PDF files with very large embedded cover images or photos which are very, very large? If you have, then it may be choking on attempting to create thumbnails of those images. In which case, maybe you should, once it gets to the Library screen, plug it into the PC and see if you can see it as a removeable storage device.

If you can, then strip out all suspect photo files or ebooks which might have extra large cover images and attempt to start it again.

Derek
Old 12-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
tyrathca

Thanks for the advice. I hope that's all it is, just a re-install of firmware. I haven't installed anything on the unit except for one ebook after I deleted the default ebooks that came preloaded. The problem was present out of the box.

I'll update this thread with what happens.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I hope that's all it is, just a re-install of firmware. I haven't installed anything on the unit except for one ebook after I deleted the default ebooks that came preloaded. The problem was present out of the box.

I'll update this thread with what happens.
Tyrathca,

I asked Bookeen if they'd heard about this and this is the response I *just* got in the email.

Derek

Hello Derek,

Sorry we have been a bit unresponsive on the issues raised by our customers and I hope that we will enhance this part of our company very fast.

We follow very closely these issues, the SD card problem is very annoying and we try to understand form where it can come from and how. In theory, it should not be possible, at least just after receiving the device because we always test the SD card reader.

The Library frozen issue, is also under investigation. We will clearly answer all these issues. And we will leave no one with a defective unit. We have been clearly surprised by our success and we are strengthening our support team to answer these questions and offering a good service support.

Regards,

Michael
Old 12-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
tyrathca

Good info. I haven't heard back from support yet, but it seems like they are on top of things. I'll wait another week or two before bugging them again. Too bad this has to happen during the Holidays, I feel sorry for those guys.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Luckily I haven't had any issues with getting past the library during the first week of use.

Then, however, I decided to deactivate the Auto Power Off option. And lo! After shutting down the device and restarting it I could not get past the library screen either.

Switching off the device resulted in it immediately booting back up again.

Four to five times doing that and the device was back to working properly.

Of course that got me curious and I tried to reproduce the described behaviour:

With Auto Power Off enabled the device never showed any issues (tried ten times switching the device on and off, and each time I could navigate past the library with no problems).

With Auto Power Off disabled the device showed the issue again (three out of ten times).

Now, of course a test of that small size does not offer absolute proof, but I can't get rid of the impression that there is some kind of relation between the issue and the Auto Power Off option.

Maybe a few others have the time to test this as well?
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another thing which can cause an inability to get past the library screen is a problem with fonts, if you've loaded any additional fonts. This can be fixed by deleting the font cache file in the "system" folder, and the "fonts" folder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I had the same problems with a few PDFs I converted with Mobipocket Creator. My Cybook was doing something when I tried to open the resulting MobiPocket files (the green LED was on) but nothing happened, even when waiting 10, 15 minutes.

A reset was all I could do.

What did help was disabling the 'add pictures as JPEG' (or something like that; I'm not at my PC right now) when creating the Mobi file. It would open them fine as soon as I did that.

Note that Mobi Reader 6.2 beta, uBook and FBReader had no problems with opening either file.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
tyrathca

Are there any visual effects when the reset button is pressed? On mine when I tried to reset it does nothing except freezing the current display then unresponsive after that.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #14
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Are there any visual effects when the reset button is pressed? On mine when I tried to reset it does nothing except freezing the current display then unresponsive after that.
The reset button is a bit misnamed. It just powers down the CPU; it doesn't reboot the unit. You must switch it back on with the power switch.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
tyrathca

A Christmas Miracle. I received an email from Bookeen support asking me some questions. Powered on the unit and now the unit is behaving perfectly. Over the last 4 days I've loaded books and read for hours with no issues. Don't know what the problem was, but it's gone now and the Cybook is now my trusty companion.

Thanks everyone for their help!