Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #391
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would you mind please posting clear (in English) directions to use the Rescue Set? Thanks.
Following the last few posts, I'm not sure whether this is required anymore, but for anyone, like me, who doesn't have access to the Android system settings and is using Windows and needs to restore the T1 to a plain vanilla firmware...
  1. *** Important *** Fully charge the PRST1 before you start.
  2. Warning: the Rescue process will reset all the PRST1 Settings. So if it's been a while since you last visited the Settings menu, you may like to remind yourself of what your current settings are
  3. Download the Rescue Set zip file from the link in post #385, it's actually called restore-set-1.0.04.12210.zip Unzip it to the PC.
  4. Not sure whether this step is necessary, but I made sure calibre was fully closed before starting. Similarly, Sony's own Reader for PC software (or whatever it's called).
  5. Connect the T1 to the PC, in the normal way, and select Data Transfer mode. Wait until all "external drives" are recognized by the PC before continuing.
  6. In the unzipped directory, find the file called flash_reader.bat and double-click it. It will open a Windows command box.
  7. You will be asked whether you want to continue. Type Y. Then let it run and do its stuff.
  8. After a while (10-20 minutes? can't remember exactly) the T1 will reboot itself -- twice, I think.
  9. Disconnect the T1 in the normal, safe way. That's it!
  10. To be honest, I don't know whether this step is necessary or not, but I'm a tidy soul... The process will leave behind a few files in the T1's internal memory root directory (the user visible root, not the real root), which you might like to delete. From memory (???) there was
    • script.log - a plain text file logging the fine tech details of what just happened. This file is harmless. I took a copy, just in case, before deleting it.
    • PRS-T1 Updater.package - I'm not sure whether this file would do 'unwanted stuff' the next time you did a full shutdown/reboot, so I deleted it. It seems to be used in all these installer packages.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #392
Soxendom
Connoisseur
Soxendom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
I am at the moment still using the April (I think - it's not the June one) version of the reader, and have been putting my preferred @font faces in the css.

Before using the June version I would like to know if I have to remove these from all my books or can I just leave them in and if I do leave them in should I change the font to a non-default one (my default one will be the same as those already in the books) will they change or not

Thanks to Morkl for his brilliant work.
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #393
vyskoczilova
vyskoczilova began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi Morkl! It's absolutelly perfect, what you've made.

But I need one advice - how can I create buttons for Amazon Kindle, Anki Droid, CoolEdit and ColorDict? I don't know how to create riggt link to applications.

Thanks

Last edited by vyskoczilova; 07-25-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #394
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxendom View Post
I am at the moment still using the April (I think - it's not the June one) version of the reader, and have been putting my preferred @font faces in the css.

Before using the June version I would like to know if I have to remove these from all my books or can I just leave them in and if I do leave them in should I change the font to a non-default one (my default one will be the same as those already in the books) will they change or not
The aim of Morkl's reader app is that you should never have needed to add @font-faces to each epub. The font specification has always been in the reader.xml file or, in the June version, in css files stored on the PRST1, which are then referenced in the reader.xml file.

Where, exactly, did you put the @font-faces you are talking about? If it is in every single epub it may be possible to negate its effect with a 'creative' default.css file but impossible to say without seeing what you've done.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #395
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Following the last few posts, I'm not sure whether this is required anymore, but for anyone, like me, who doesn't have access to the Android system settings and is using Windows and needs to restore the T1 to a plain vanilla firmware...
  1. *** Important *** Fully charge the PRST1 before you start.
  2. Warning: the Rescue process will reset all the PRST1 Settings. So if it's been a while since you last visited the Settings menu, you may like to remind yourself of what your current settings are
  3. Download the Rescue Set zip file from the link in post #385, it's actually called restore-set-1.0.04.12210.zip Unzip it to the PC.
  4. Not sure whether this step is necessary, but I made sure calibre was fully closed before starting. Similarly, Sony's own Reader for PC software (or whatever it's called).
  5. Connect the T1 to the PC, in the normal way, and select Data Transfer mode. Wait until all "external drives" are recognized by the PC before continuing.
  6. In the unzipped directory, find the file called flash_reader.bat and double-click it. It will open a Windows command box.
  7. You will be asked whether you want to continue. Type Y. Then let it run and do its stuff.
  8. After a while (10-20 minutes? can't remember exactly) the T1 will reboot itself -- twice, I think.
  9. Disconnect the T1 in the normal, safe way. That's it!
  10. To be honest, I don't know whether this step is necessary or not, but I'm a tidy soul... The process will leave behind a few files in the T1's internal memory root directory (the user visible root, not the real root), which you might like to delete. From memory (???) there was
    • script.log - a plain text file logging the fine tech details of what just happened. This file is harmless. I took a copy, just in case, before deleting it.
    • PRS-T1 Updater.package - I'm not sure whether this file would do 'unwanted stuff' the next time you did a full shutdown/reboot, so I deleted it. It seems to be used in all these installer packages.
Thank you. I have downloaded the proper firmware file and I'm set in case I ever need to reflash a T1.
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #396
Rheingold
Rheingold began at the beginning.

Hi,

thank You all for the replies to my question. In the moment I have no need to go back, but it's always usefull to knew what to do when time is come.
I have also an other idea to go back:

(1) I have the original EbookReader.apk extracted from a rescue image.
(2) I replace the EbookReader.akp in the install-noroot/sdcard/updates/system/app folder with the original from (1) and then
(3) I flashed the original (back) with the install-noroot method

As I said I have no need for this now, but do You think that it will be a way to go back?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #397
Soxendom
Connoisseur
Soxendom began at the beginning.

I thought that my @font faces were interferring with the reader as the font only changed when I changed to one of the stock fonts. It turned out that I'd made a mistake when changing the css.

That's been cleared up and things are working great.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #398
gauchomigo
gauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo forma/aura
Is there a tut that spells out how to change fonts once Morkl's mod is installed? I did it for my PRS-505 (of course I don't remember how) - is the procedure exactly the same?

thanks!

p.s. the more detailed, the better!

EDIT; never mind; found Jackie_W's mini-tut from mid-July. Thanks, Jackie!

Last edited by gauchomigo; 07-27-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #399
-mem-00-
-mem-00- began at the beginning.

Device: PB 602, PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Question Is there finally a new release?

Morkl & folks,

Got a little lost with all the - interesting if early for me - deep dive on customization of the reader.

I'd like to install the latest homescreen/reader on unrooted - and probably never to be rooted - PRS-T1, but I still only see the 22/01 release. Is there still issues with the recent changes? Any new release soon?

Eager to try

Thanks

Cheers,
Mem
Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #400
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
There's a June release of the EbookReader app that's been updated to the lastest firmware (1.0.04.12210). It's been working fine for me and others here. Looks like Morkl was planning to upload it to SourceForge but never got around to it. You should still be able to find it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
The package at http://morkl.se/reader/JuneReader.zip has been updated, and if I don't hear about any critical bugs I'll put it up at SourceForge in the weekend
(Haven't tried the Modified Reader oops, I meant I haven't tried the Modified Homescreen app, so can't help you there. The Reader app is great.)

Last edited by pssquirrel; 07-28-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #401
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One big advantage of the modified reader app (June) is that you can set a default font instead of the lousy default font that the T1 is saddled with.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #402
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I updated to the current firmware today (was still using a rooted 1.3) and the June modified reader.
I just wanted to thank Morkl for the App, as well as jackie_w and JSWolf for their insight into custom CSS files and JSWolf's Charice SIL font.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #403
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Please can someone post a link to the latest version of the modified homescreen app as per request in post #399 (for unrooted, and not to be rooted, device)?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #404
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Please can someone post a link to the latest version of the modified homescreen app as per request in post #399 (for unrooted, and not to be rooted, device)?
See post #297 (in this thread) for the link. It is for both rotted and unrooted T1s.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #405
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Thank you JSWolf, but post 297 is about the junereader. As far as I understand this app is mainly concerned with fonts for those of us who have problems with the standard ones. I am quite happy with the standards fonts, so I don't need his app.
I am only interested in a non-rooted version of the homescreen app (which displays the three last read titles instead of the standard last added on the main screen of the PRS-T1). Anyone?
Closed Thread