Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
IMPORTANT: Preparing your Vox for software update

Hi everyone,

Good news first:

We are very (very!) close to pushing the first software update to the update server. It is a stability release focused primarily on the wake-from-sleep problem.

However...

In preparing for this update, we found that there are some Voxes that need to run a separate app to prepare them to accept this update. If you purchased your Vox before Nov 9, you ARE NOT affected. If you purchased after Nov 9, you MAY BE affected. Running the app is very quick, but must be done before affected devices can be successfully updated with the new firmware. There is no harm in running the app on a device that does not require it, though.

REMEMBER: THIS IS NOT THE ACTUAL UPDATE. IT IS REQUIRED TO PREPARE SOME DEVICES FOR THE UPDATE, WHICH WILL BE RELEASED VERY SOON.

Here is an overview of what you need to do:

1. Make sure you can install apps on your Kobo Vox.
Go to your Kobo Vox home screen and tap the Menu button. Tap Settings and then Applications. Make sure that the checkbox next to 'Unknown Sources' is selected.

2. Using your Kobo Vox web browser, go to this web page:

http://tinyurl.com/voxpatch

The app you need will start downloading automatically.

3. Touch the top of your screen (where the battery icon and clock are shown) and swipe down to open the Notifications list. Here you can see the progress of the app download (systempatch.apk).

4. When it finishes, tap the success notification and follow the instructions to install and open the app.

The app will do what it needs to do, if it needs to do it. You can uninstall it afterwards. If you see a dialog that says 'Success', your Vox was properly patched and is now prepared for the update. If you see a dialog that says 'Uninstall', your Vox was not affected by the issue.

You can find detailed instructions for downloading the app here:

http://blog.kobobooks.com/kobovoxsoftwareupdate/

As always, any questions, just ask

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
James, so I (as I did) purchased mine from Best Buy on Oct 28/2011...I don't need to do anything...and just by booting up the Vox with Wi-Fi enabled...it will find and download your System Update automatically when you send it to your update server...

Is that the drill, and thanks!
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

That's right. The Vox checks once a day for updates (I believe also at boot, but maybe not), but can be forced to check for updates from the Settings menu. Your pre-Nov 9 device is not affected and when the update is available you will be able to install it.

James
Old 11-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
What about the ones that went on sale in the UK today? Allowing for shipping them across the Atlantic, W H Smiths getting set up to sell them etc, it seems possible that they are pre 9th November.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

Devices for sale in the UK do not require the patch and are ready to be updated as soon as the update is available.
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
That's right. The Vox checks once a day for updates (I believe also at boot, but maybe not), but can be forced to check for updates from the Settings menu. Your pre-Nov 9 device is not affected and when the update is available you will be able to install it.

James
Thank you!
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Can we have the changelog of the update.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I bought my Vox on Oct. 28th, but did a factory reset on Nov. 19th - does that mean I need to download this patch?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

No, factory reset won't matter. You should be fine to update.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Glad I bought mine on the 27th. So er, when?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
For once, being an early adopter is a plus! Yippee! I bought mine the first day they were on sale in Toronto! Oct 28!

BTW ... I am really being to enjoy the Kobo Vox a lot. Between reading Kobo books, customized ePubs, Overdrive library books, some Kindle books, some other pdf material from Canadian archives, surfing with Opera Mobile, playing Sudoku, listening to radio with iTunePro ... I am definitely getting great value!

Last edited by SensualPoet; 11-23-2011 at 07:10 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
For once, being an early adopter is a plus! Yippee! I bought mine the first day they were on sale in Toronto! Oct 28!

BTW ... I am really being to enjoy the Kobo Vox a lot. Between reading Kobo books, customized ePubs, Overdrive library books, some Kindle books, some other pdf material from Canadian archives, surfing with Opera Mobile, playing Sudoku, listening to radio with iTunePro ... I am definitely getting great value!
Yeah, me too...! So much so that my poor Kobo WiFi is developing cobwebs...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
perambulator
perambulator began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
If you purchased after Nov 9, you MAY BE affected. \
I don't have a Kobo Vox just yet -- looking to buy in next few days. Will I need to run this little fix? Or will it try to update and run into problems?
perambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
How will all the people who aren't reading this on Mobileread know about the pre-update?
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
How will all the people who aren't reading this on Mobileread know about the pre-update?
I received an email about it this morning.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote