Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #76
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwilson View Post
Does this happen with just one book or many?
Happened on 3 so far

Quote:
Are you able to upload the xray file somewhere? Just in case there's anything obviously wrong with it.
Here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2213114/XRA...5b1dbe27c7.asc
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #77
oliverss
oliverss began at the beginning.

Device: none
The first step is to convert mobi to mobi to ensure ASIN is available on the mobi file. I did a convert to AZW file just to be sure I got ASIN info onto the file.

In addition I think the plugin has a problem with Database number being misidentified. I haven't checked the code yet and I am not good at python so someone else can verify if this is indeed the problem. Database name is mandatory, except when there is no database name in which case the Database name is a blank the same as the database name on the AZW file.

Here are three cases where the x-ray not found appears:
a) Wrong or missing ASIN
b) Wrong GUID (It's an eight character string); and
c) Wrong or missing Database name.

Database name is mandatory and should match the AZW listing. If it's anything else you will get a x-ray file is not available message after you see an x-ray listing at the bottom of the page.

I hope we get a working plugin soon.
oliverss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #78
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
hey shinew,this thing is awesome.one thing i want to ask are you working on getting location?well i think i have noticed a bug,whenever i enter wiki site it gives some error.but when i use calibre plugin it works fine.but it shows only wiki book description.another notable difference from amazon is that this does not show wiki info for those items not on shelfari whereas amazon xray does.for eg: in throne of fire book this xray gen does not show wiki desc of sickle,whereas amazon xray does.hope you resolve this.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #79
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverss View Post
The first step is to convert mobi to mobi to ensure ASIN is available on the mobi file. I did a convert to AZW file just to be sure I got ASIN info onto the file.

In addition I think the plugin has a problem with Database number being misidentified. I haven't checked the code yet and I am not good at python so someone else can verify if this is indeed the problem. Database name is mandatory, except when there is no database name in which case the Database name is a blank the same as the database name on the AZW file.
Thanks for this.

For the database name, the Calibre plugin pretty much just takes the first 32 bytes and converts them to a string (dropping 00 bytes). So for a free edition of Frankenstein which I downloaded from Amazon, I get "Frankenstein-ecraft_Shelley".

The plugin doesn't have any special code to deal with the database name being blank. Then again, if "blank" means encoded with "00" bytes, then it shouldn't need any.

If anyone has a specific mobi for which the plugin doesn't work, and if they can work out what's gone wrong with the XRay format, that would be great. Or if they could run mobi2mobi to get the headers from the mobi file, and post what's in the top of the generated XRay file, that might help too.
mjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #80
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Just discovered your xray generator. Nice feature for those with XRay, but it makes me wonder if one could generate a version for the Kindle Keyboard with the 3.4 firmware.

IIRC the dictionary functionality has a "fall though" feature where if it doesn't find a word in the primary dictionary it keeps searching dictionaries until it either finds a definition or runs out of dictionaries. The idea would be to create a dictionary file with entries for character's first and last names and place names with the XRay summary as the definition.

I haven't looked at the dictionary format, but it seems "in theory" that this wouldn't be too hard now that you've done the legwork for parsing the Shelfari pages.

Of course, this is all dependent on the assumption that dictionaries actually work that way. And you probably wouldn't want to have too many installed at a time, otherwise dictionary lookups could get VERY SLOW!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #81
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Wow I totally didn't get any email notifications & missed out all the questions, sorry...

I haven't been using the X-Ray gen much myself, for those who sees only something like "ad>", as I've stated in the original post, the generated file does provide any location info. The only thing it shows are the Characters, Organizations, settings, Glossary, Theme & Symbolism available on the book's shelfari page.

I don't have a K3, so there is no way for me to work on it.

I don't know a way to get the location info extracted from the mobi file. If someone does, let me know and I might attempt to write a calibre plugin for this, which will makes it behave much more like the real thing you get from amazon.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #82
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
I don't have a K3, so there is no way for me to work on it.
I believe that the touch & Paperwhite dictionaries work the same way with the fallthrough. In fact, this could be an easier method, even on the Touch & Paperwhite, for people who don't want to look up ASAIN numbers and database names... just generate a dictionary file and drop in on the Kindle.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #83
twowheels
Wizard

As a test... I followed the instructions for creating a dictionary here:

http://1manfactory.com/create-your-o...uage-for-free/

I created a dictionary file with a few names in it, tab delimited, and copied the resulting dictionary to the documents folder of a Kindle Touch. Took about 5 minutes. [started shortly after my last post]

Sure enough, it worked... when the word wasn't found in the main dictionary it automatically went to my new dictionary and showed me the "definition" that I'd come up with.

I believe that this would be a fairly trivial tool to create, if you could just export the names and Shelfari information in the tab delimited format of the dictionary creator tool's output.

LastName<tab>Shelfari Info
FirstName<tab>Shelfari Info
PlaceName<tab>Shelfari Info

Sure, it's not perfect... conflicts between books could give false positives... etc... but if people were willing to generate and copy on a file just before starting a big book and then remove it when done it could still be VERY useful.

I'll test again on my Kindle Keyboard shortly...

[Edit: Not working as well on the Keyboard... I'll play with it more... that said, could still make for an easier conversion experience for Touch and Paperwhite owners]

Last edited by twowheels; 10-05-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #84
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
hmm... does it work with terms that has spaces though? such as most names, some glossaries, etc...? If it doesn't it wouldn't be very useful for this purpose.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #85
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
hmm... does it work with terms that has spaces though? such as most names, some glossaries, etc...? If it doesn't it wouldn't be very useful for this purpose.
That's why a suggested a separate (duplicate) entry for first and last name. Obviously there are some limitations, but it'd probably cover 85-90%.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #86
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

This sounds really neat. Does this require that the Kindle be jailbroken? Also, does anyone know if this works with the KPW?
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #87
hoyasaxa
Shardbearer
hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hoyasaxa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
This sounds really neat. Does this require that the Kindle be jailbroken? Also, does anyone know if this works with the KPW?
I'm trying with paperwhite, and not having any success. Could be user error. Not sure.
hoyasaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #88
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any updates?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #89
davr
davr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It works for me, pretty nice, just wish it had the location info. I can provide an original xray file from amazon with location info in it, if anyone wants to have a go at adding support for that. Just send me a PM.
davr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #90
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I have a Kindle Keyboard 3.3 - hacked, anyway to use x-ray?

Though x-ray is mainly for novels, I tend to read philosophy, psychology etc. the most inaccessible books possible - I doubt x-ray would be of much use to me - so more curious than interested.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, kindle tools, x-ray