Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
peterbyron
peterbyron began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Populating Calibre with books already on my Kobo

I purchased my Kobo several months ago and have thus far only used the kobo store. I have a number of books already on my Kobo. I've recently discovered Calibre, which is great. However, I would like to know how can I get books that I have on my Kobo e-reader (Kobo desktop application) into the Calibre library. I expect I would use the "add book" button in Calibre, but I have no idea where to find the ebooks I've downloaded from the kobo store.

Any ideas how I can get the books from the kobo library to the calibre library?

Oh, a little explanation here. When I click on the "Device" button in the Kobo destop app, I only see two preloaded books from when I purchased the device, 1 book I uploaded from the computer to the kobo when experimenting with conversion and nothing else. None of the books I purchased from kobo are shown.

Last edited by peterbyron; 08-14-2011 at 01:53 PM.
peterbyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
peterbyron

okay, found the problem. It took ove an hour for Calibre to load my library from my Kobo. Now I see all my books when I click the "device" button.
Now the problem is how to get them into the Calibre library. If I drag them to the "Library" button they seem to copy over fine, but in the library it goes in as "unknown". This is happening with any book I've downloaded from the Kobo store.
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You need to be aware that books from the Kobo web site are available in two different formats; one is the true ePub; the other is Kobo's own format (commonly referred to as KePub).

The Kobo Desktop only handles books in KePub format, and, if you do a wireless sync of the Kobo Touch it too will only download the KePub format.

To get the "real" ePub format, go to the kobobooks.com web site, sign in to it, and then, when you head to the "My Library" link you will see all the books you have bought from Kobo. Next to them there will be a link "ADOBE DRM EPUB". Clicking on that will download an "acsm" file, which when you open it, will open Adobe Digital Edition (or ADE) to download the ePub.

These ePubs are in turn protected by DRM. We can't discuss here how to remove DRM from these, but we can point you to a google search for "Apprentice Alf".
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
To continue PeterT's post - once you have your books in ADE you can then easily add them to Calibre using the Add Books button. Select "add books from a single directory" and then search for your ADE library which will be called "My Digital Editions."
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
peterbyron

Thanks for all the info. Things are working great now.
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
pmabbey09
pmabbey09 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire/ Kobo
I can't find my ADE digital files

I've been following these directions trying to convert my Kobo books to my kindle fire. I have transfered all my books to the ADE files as shown above, but I can't figure out where my files are. Could these be because I didn't get an adobe ID and activate or whatever Adobe wanted? Help!
pmabbey09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmabbey09 View Post
I've been following these directions trying to convert my Kobo books to my kindle fire. I have transfered all my books to the ADE files as shown above, but I can't figure out where my files are. Could these be because I didn't get an adobe ID and activate or whatever Adobe wanted? Help!
A search in the start menu should find them. Just get the -------.epub file.

But be aware that you can't convert the ePubs into Mobi to use on your Kindle unless you remove the DRM (Digital Rights Management) we can't go into specifics but just as petert said; apprentice alf in Google.

Once you have the DRM remover plug-in any books that you add to Calibre will be automatically de-DRM'd.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
moe101
moe101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Populating Calibre with books already on Kobo after updating Calilbre to new version

I'm having the same problem after updating Calibre to the latest version. All the books are already in my Calibre library (I copied them over and the settings), and on my Kobo; however, when I click on device - view books on device, it doesn't show any of the books that are in fact on there and put on there using an older version of Calibre. Any ideas how to get them to show up again or how I can revert back to the version where they did show up?
moe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe101 View Post
I'm having the same problem after updating Calibre to the latest version. All the books are already in my Calibre library (I copied them over and the settings), and on my Kobo; however, when I click on device - view books on device, it doesn't show any of the books that are in fact on there and put on there using an older version of Calibre. Any ideas how to get them to show up again or how I can revert back to the version where they did show up?
Old versions of Calibre available here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
camtosh
Enthusiast
camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Old versions of Calibre available here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/
Thanks for that link. What version allowed the KT library to be shown in Calibre?
camtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe any version does! With 0.8.61 I have no issues seeing what is on my Touch!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
camtosh
Enthusiast
camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Last week, with Calibre 0.8.61 installed, I was seeing an error that said "Calibre not configured for this version of the Kobo touch" or something like that. So I thought it had to do with the 2.0.0 bugginess.
Today, I uninstalled .61 and installed 0.8.59.msi version of Calibre, and also noticed the plug-in for KT. I clicked to install that plug-in.
I uninstalled the Kobo desktop software (to avoid the Rakuten mess).
I plugged in my KT to the computer. Calibre detected it.
Now when I clicked on Device->show books in library, it showed me a list of the books, not sure if it was complete.
I then clicked "Get books from device" and it loaded 39 sideloaded epubs and a few pdfs, and a few corrupted files that I think might be the kepubs that were on the device?? (the title is 6 characters, like msmsxt, and the filetype is unknown)
So now most of the books on my KT are showing up in the Calibre library.
Do you think that the Kobo plug-in was not installed last week so it didn't see the books on my KT? If so, then the .61 version should be ok if I again install the Kobo plug-in. Or do the plug-ins stay installed if I upgrade to the latest version? befuddled.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by camtosh; 07-25-2012 at 02:08 AM.
camtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by camtosh View Post
Last week, with Calibre 0.8.61 installed, I was seeing an error that said "Calibre not configured for this version of the Kobo touch" or something like that. So I thought it had to do with the 2.0.0 bugginess.
Today, I uninstalled .61 and installed 0.8.59.msi version of Calibre, and also noticed the plug-in for KT. I clicked to install that plug-in.
I uninstalled the Kobo desktop software (to avoid the Rakuten mess).
I plugged in my KT to the computer. Calibre detected it.
Now when I clicked on Device->show books in library, it showed me a list of the books, not sure if it was complete.
I then clicked "Get books from device" and it loaded 39 sideloaded epubs and a few pdfs, and a few corrupted files that I think might be the kepubs that were on the device?? (the title is 6 characters, like msmsxt, and the filetype is unknown)
So now most of the books on my KT are showing up in the Calibre library.
Do you think that the Kobo plug-in was not installed last week so it didn't see the books on my KT? If so, then the .61 version should be ok if I again install the Kobo plug-in. Or do the plug-ins stay installed if I upgrade to the latest version? befuddled.
The only difference between calibre 0.8.61 and the earlier versions of the Kobo driver is a warning and an associated option. The warning is triggered if the DBVersion of the database on the Kobo is higher than a certain value. Other than this, the driver works the same as before. There is an option in the drivers configuration to ignore this. Setting this will mean that calibre works with the Kobo Touch exactly the same as earlier versions of calibre.

The DBVersion that calibre is looking for is very old. It is from a firmware version before 1.9.16. The parts of the database that calibre touches have not changed, so everything is OK.

And so that you know, I am using calibre 0.8.61 with the Kobo 2.0.2 firmware with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote