Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
B&N Nook Event Today - Live Blogging

CNET will be live blogging B&N's Special Announcement in New York today - Tue 24 May 11 @ 7am PDT (10am EDT).

Expectations are for a new Nook similar to Kobo's just announced eReader Touch.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
personally, i'm glad that kobo beat them to the punch. it's nice to see the the little guy get some.

B&N are going to have to bring something big to top what kobo unleashed yesterday. i'm not going to clutter this thread with my personal wants or predictions - there is already a couple of threads for that.
hopefully the entry level price point gets knocked down to double digit range across the board. In this economy that is precisely what we need. kobo is there, the k3 w/ ads is almost there ... if B&N can pull a $99 reader out of their hat, we will have a 3 way race with Sony left behind.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegetz View Post
personally, i'm glad that kobo beat them to the punch. it's nice to see the the little guy get some...

hopefully the entry level price point gets knocked down to double digit range across the board. In this economy that is precisely what we need. kobo is there, the k3 w/ ads is almost there ... if B&N can pull a $99 reader out of their hat, we will have a 3 way race with Sony left behind.
The price for the new Kobo was released as $129. Was the two-digit price for the old one, or do you know where the new one will be $99?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
The price for the new Kobo was released as $129. Was the two-digit price for the old one, or do you know where the new one will be $99?
The $100 price is for the old one. The new one is $130. Check out Borders' ereader page.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
I'm so excited about today's event!!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
New nook:

In a closer pic, it seems to have physical page turn buttons.
And a wide enough bezel to hold comfortably.

"up to two month battery life."

Pre-orders now for June 10th shipping.

If I fall into an extra $140, I might have to check this out....

Last edited by ApK; 05-24-2011 at 10:32 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Looks like a good device!
6 fonts, 7 sizes. Like the sound of that!
The touch, pearl and longer battery life were both necessary and expected.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon is going to have to go touch and drop the physical keyboard to compete.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or continue offering the physical keyboard (and free 3g web access) as their unique offering.

Why should every device be the same?

Depending on some other unanswered questions I have about this new nook, though, I probably could stand owing one of each....

Come to think of it, would it kill Amazon to offer two different readers?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Or continue offering the physical keyboard (and free 3g web access) as their unique offering.

Why should every device be the same?

Depending on some other unanswered questions I have about this new nook, though, I probably could stand owing one of each....

Come to think of it, would it kill Amazon to offer two different readers?
I still say that if Amazon goes touch, they will kill the physical keyboard to make the size smaller. I don't see them having both. It makes no sense to be bigger for no reason.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon is going to have to go touch and drop the physical keyboard to compete.
nope. they keep the current feature set, keep the 3g wwan, and enable support for ePub. the fact of the matter is, that your mom (generic generalization here - not claiming to know or trying to diss anyone's mom) thinks books + internet = amazon. that is their #1 asset - brand recognition.

between the kobo touch and the new nook, the "mini-ipad-looking" eink touch market has just been cornered. in the US, nook will win. Canada, Australia, other places where the kobo is the standard, they will win.
Sony, sorry. too little, too late, just like your PS3 "sorry you got hacked" gift basket of games everyone that cares already played. it doesn't matter that they did touch right, first.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Assuming the touch screen works well, this is a better reader than the Sony PRS-650, less expensive, and hopefully more available. Sony doesn't seem interested in selling readers in the USA. I hope this new Nook and the new Kobo, along with the Kindle, finally push Sony out of the market or make them rethink their arrogant marketing practices.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I wonder if this still has eReader support or if they've dropped that in favor of ePub-only?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I still say that if Amazon goes touch, they will kill the physical keyboard to make the size smaller. I don't see them having both. It makes no sense to be bigger for no reason.
That's probably going to be the reality of it, but I would love it if they added the IR touch system to the current feature set.

I like the physical keyboard better for typing (email, notes, search phrases) and it keeps the screen clean, but the touch feature would be great with all the games, dictionary lookup, web browsing, highlighting, navigation, etc.

ApK
Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sony is so screwed. Between the new Nook and Kobo Sony is sooooo screwed. Two new ereaders with the Pearl Screen and a touchscreen for less then the Sony 350.

Why the hell would I buy a Sony now?

Amazon will be fine. There are those of us who don't like touchscreens and the marketing for Amazon is more then good enough to keep it competitive. I would not be surprised to see Amazon release a touchscreen version soon. I would not be surprised to seethekeyboard go away. While it would be a bummer for me, I know that I am in the minority and that many people are looking for that touchscreen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote