Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
summatusmentis
summatusmentis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Kindle DXg for christmas, some questions

Hi all,

I just got a Kindle DX Graphite for xmas and I love it, but what technology is complete without some hacking to make it do things it wasn't intended to do?

I've read a few of the threads about usb-networking, is this possible currently without opening up the Kindle? From what I've read, that's unclear.

Assuming I can get usb-networking functional, is it then possible to setup an ssh server, that is accessible via whispernet? I'm looking for a way to be able to download PDFs on my computer, and setup a script to then copy them (wirelessly) to my Kindle, without needing to connect the kindle to my computer. I've been unable to find anything about this, but if whispernet is just like any other networking device, presumably this is a matter of changing the firewall rules?

Is there a list of things people have done to their Kindles so that us newbies may benefit from the work of others? (ideally this would be in a centralized location :-D)
summatusmentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
USBNetwork doesn't work for that task. It'd only work over WiFi.

You could setup a webserver hosting your PDF's, and then point the KDX to that link so it can download it. Or, you can use the way Amazon designed it to be: you can send it to your Kindle Email Address for a fee. (see here)

Last edited by kranu; 12-31-2010 at 04:41 PM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
summatusmentis

I know that usb-network won't work for directly allowing transfer of files, but presumably there's something in the iptables setup or whatever that would allow whispernet outside access right?

Or is this pretty much not possible? I'm not interested in paying amazon to send files to my kindle, I just wanted to see if there was a way I could do it. If there's not, I'll just move on then
Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Since the Kindle DX does not have Wifi, only 3G, you won't be able to connect to it from the Internet.
The network access has to be started by it. As, for example, in kranu's suggestion of hosting the PDF file on a web server and using Kindle's browser to download it (not sure if this is allowed on the browser, though).
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
summatusmentis

ah, that's reasonable. How feasible would it be to have the Kindle instantiate the connection, say clicking a special "sync" link, request the list of things to download, and then go about doing so?

How does the Kindle get software updates? Does it poll Amazon every so often to check and see if there's new software?
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by summatusmentis View Post
ah, that's reasonable. How feasible would it be to have the Kindle instantiate the connection, say clicking a special "sync" link, request the list of things to download, and then go about doing so?
The Whispernet network blocks everything except web access which has to go through the Amazon proxy servers. Any mechanism you design for your syncing would have to go via those servers.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
summatusmentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The Whispernet network blocks everything except web access which has to go through the Amazon proxy servers. Any mechanism you design for your syncing would have to go via those servers.
Is this done on the network hardware side, or on the kindle itself? On the kindle itself would mean, theoretically, that it could be changed.

Thanks.