Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
AbPho
Connoisseur
AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.

Device: AuraHD, GloHD
Kobo Dictionary leaves much to be desired!

This happens all to often. But this instance was particularly funny. Anyone else come across these hilarious dictionary definitions?

Is there a better dictionary out there for the Kobos?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emancipating.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	156277  
AbPho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There are means to create and install your own dictionaries, but you do need to take precautions to ensure that your own dictionary is not overwritten during syncs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
How to add custom dictionary see here.

Chambers 1908 and Websters 1913 (Webster's Unabridged):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196925

More English dictionaries: Wiktionary, WordNet, GCIDE.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=162

If you sync your device the dictionaries will be deleted, so to avoid that you have two options:
  • To add a new dictionary on your device see here.

Last edited by oren64; 04-20-2017 at 12:54 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbPho View Post
This happens all to often. But this instance was particularly funny. Anyone else come across these hilarious dictionary definitions?

Is there a better dictionary out there for the Kobos?
to be honest, comparing with kindle's powerful dictionary and language support, kobo's software developement team is way too weak and incompetent.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
to be honest, comparing with kindle's powerful dictionary and language support, kobo's software developement team is way too weak and incompetent.
For my curiosity, how does the software development team competency relate to the dictionary chosen? Both Kobo and Amazon have bought a dictionaries from somewhere to include in their the devices. The fact that Kobo chose a smaller, and probably cheaper one, has no relationship to the quality of the development team.

As to the language support, I can see that Kobo has 12 languages in their interface. What I can find on-line lists only 10 for a Kindle. If the number of supported languages is a sign of how good the development team is, then the Kindles team must be crap.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
i will bow to what seems to be the conventional wisdom on this forum that Kindles do have the better overall dictionary.

although coincidently yesterday i was playing with a Kindle Voyage display model in a local shop its been awhile since i first did this.

the only thing i like on the Voyage is the page sensor buttons, when it comes to the font sizing and line spacing and margins etc imho the Kobo software wins hands down.

so im pleased to say i walked away with my original opinion of Kindle e-readers still intact, sorry for the monologue.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 PM   #7
AbPho
Connoisseur
AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.

Device: AuraHD, GloHD
Thanks Oren. I'll check out the links you provided.
AbPho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #8
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

ok, to say the least, this vendor somehow ignores chinese language support for so many years, even you can install chinese font, but you can't display correct content in UI desktop's book list and there is lots of freezing when loading and turning page in chinese language book. regarding to english-chinese dictionary for kobo, i can find nothing. for built-in english dictionary, it's far worse than kindle's built-in one based on my personal use. after all, missing chinese language support is simply a joke considering the huge market and demand.

Last edited by vostro; 04-20-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ok, to say the least, this vendor somehow ignores chinese language support for so many years, even you can install chinese font, but you can't display correct content in UI desktop's book list and there is lots of freezing when loading and turning page in chinese language book. regarding to english-chinese dictionary for kobo, i can find nothing. for built-in english dictionary, it's far worse than kindle's built-in one based on my personal use. after all, missing chinese language support is simply a joke considering the huge market and demand.
So your problem is with the Kobo management team that decides the direction for their product. They, not the software development team, decide whether to support Chinese language and which dictionary to pay for. The only element in your complaint that the software development team has any real impact on is the handling of Chinese language books. And even then, if they have been told by the management not to work on something, they can't do anything.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:58 AM   #10
vostro
Connoisseur

i think the freezing issue on chinese language book is probably related with buggy firmware--plus various issue-from suddently turning off of backlight without any reason to turnning into sleep but with backlight still on- is also due to buggy firmware on the latest version firmware in aura one-- all these kobo software issue(related with software team conpetency) is more than i encountered on kindle's PW3 and touch--which never freeze on chinese books and has zero issue on backlight in kindle PW3.
regarding to kobo management team, one of my friend sent email to its CEO and CTO asking why they ignore chinese language support, these two persons never bother to reply. another big joke.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:27 AM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Try sending Bezos an email about anything and see if he responds.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i think the freezing issue on chinese language book is probably related with buggy firmware--plus various issue-from suddently turning off of backlight without any reason to turnning into sleep but with backlight still on- is also due to buggy firmware on the latest version firmware in aura one-- all these kobo software issue(related with software team conpetency) is more than i encountered on kindle's PW3 and touch--which never freeze on chinese books and has zero issue on backlight in kindle PW3.
There you go again, demonstrating how little you know about what is happening. The issues with reading Chinese language books are probably because the firmware does not fully support it. As Kobo do not seem to be interested in that market (I have no idea why) there is no reason for them to make sure the device works with Chinese. If they have a choice of fixing a bug in an area they do support, and one they don't support, it will always be done in the supported area. If Amazon does support Chinese books, then they have decided to invest the time and money in doing this support. In that case, I would hope it works.

The frontlight are different. Yes, they do appear to be bugs in the firmware. And yes, that does reflect on the competency of the software team. But, I suspect it reflects more on the size of the team and how much money Kobo are willing to spend on bug fixes.
Quote:
regarding to kobo management team, one of my friend sent email to its CEO and CTO asking why they ignore chinese language support, these two persons never bother to reply. another big joke.
And what happened when your friend tried to ask the question through more usual support channels?
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 AM   #13
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
To what davidfor said, I'd like to add: why did you buy a Kobo reader if you planned to read ebooks in Chinese and knew Chinese was not one of their supported languages? This info is clearly stated on the Kobo website and should have been present on the page of the retailer you bought it from.

Based on my own experience -- as someone who reads in her own mothertongue and three other languages, with various degrees of fluency -- I'd say that the dictionaries available on the Kobo ereaders are adequate for the average reader, sufficient for those who read in a foreign language they know well enough to read and understand a definition in a monolingual dictionary, and inadequate for those who are still at the stage of learning.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:28 AM   #14
vostro
Connoisseur

kobo supports japanese language natively, which is very similar to chinese in coding sense(btw, i got my degree in computer science). so the only reason i can think about for the freezing issue and poor suppport for dictionary is probably the company size and investment strength which indirectly affected the competence of software team--no wonder you get what you paid for--as far as i know, amazon offers top notch salary and welfare package in seattle area which is comparable with microsoft package.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I'd say that the dictionaries available on the Kobo ereaders are adequate for the average reader, sufficient for those who read in a foreign language they know well enough to read and understand a definition in a monolingual dictionary, and inadequate for those who are still at the stage of learning.
And insufficient for native or near-native speakers/readers. After more than 35 years of 300+ English books a year, the words I or others like me need to look up aren't in the Kobo dictionary. If they are in there, we don't need to look them up.

I don't own a Shorter Oxford and Compact OED for show; I actually use them.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote