Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 AM   #16
Zigouigouiii
Zigouigouiii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Red face

Hello everyone !

Thanks to the nightmode (and you !), I read 115 hours (6 books) in February/March !
So happy !

Unfortunatly... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Try to avoid firmware updates if you're not sure the mod will still work with new firmware.
My KA1 has updated automatically. I did'nt even notice.
At the end, I've seen " téléchargement 100 % ", my KA1 rebooted.
Too late !
What a fool !

Without hope, I try to reinstall the nightmode with the instructions on this page (nightmode.ini edited). But it doesn't work, of course.
And it's too hard and too agressive for me to read with white background, even with really big caracters.

I suppose there is no update yet for the nightmode ? And no other way ?
How/where can I keep an eye on the updates of the nightmode, please ?

Many thanks.

Have a good day everyone.
Zigouigouiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigouigouiii View Post
My KA1 has updated automatically. I did'nt even notice.
At the end, I've seen " téléchargement 100 % ", my KA1 rebooted.
Too late !
What a fool !

Without hope, I try to reinstall the nightmode with the instructions on this page (nightmode.ini edited). But it doesn't work, of course.
And it's too hard and too agressive for me to read with white background, even with really big caracters.

I suppose there is no update yet for the nightmode ? And no other way ?
How/where can I keep an eye on the updates of the nightmode, please ?
What firmware version? Probably 4.3.something. If so, I suggest you read the last few pages of this thread.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #18
Zigouigouiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What firmware version? Probably 4.3.something.
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, indeed. Version 4.3.8966

Quote:
If so, I suggest you read the last few pages of this thread.
Do you mean the post of MGlitch, so this : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...00&postcount=1 ?
(Sorry, I try to understand as much as I can, but I don't understand 100%)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, indeed. Version 4.3.8966

Do you mean the post of MGlitch, so this : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...00&postcount=1 ?
(Sorry, I try to understand as much as I can, but I don't understand 100%)
Well, the second post gives the link to the nightmode hack that is needed for all firmware since 4.2.8283. Nothing has change since that needs an update. Reinstalling it and updating the ini file in exactly the same way as before should work.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #20
Zigouigouiii

Quote:
Well, the second post gives the link to the nightmode hack that is needed for all firmware since 4.2.8283. Nothing has change since that needs an update. Reinstalling it and updating the ini file in exactly the same way as before should work.
Ok, thanks, but I've already reinstalled and edited the ini file.
And it doesn't work.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #21
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You could downgrade to previous version if that worked. But I think it should work with new version. Also a user here said thar nightmode works in coolreader and koreader which you can use.

In future turn off option to automatically upgrade firmware.

bonne chance. ca devrait marcher.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok, thanks, but I've already reinstalled and edited the ini file.
And it doesn't work.
After copying the KoboRoot.tgz to the device, did it do the install and reboot?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #23
Circle
Circle began at the beginning.

Toggle Nightmode On and Off

Thanks to everyone here for tips on how to make the Aura One go into Nightmode! This rocks.

I seem to remember there was a way to toggle the Nightmode on and off without going into the nightmode.ini file. I had this going on my Kobo H2O. If anyone knows how this can be achieved, or whether it's still not possible, I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,
R.
Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle View Post
Thanks to everyone here for tips on how to make the Aura One go into Nightmode! This rocks.

I seem to remember there was a way to toggle the Nightmode on and off without going into the nightmode.ini file. I had this going on my Kobo H2O. If anyone knows how this can be achieved, or whether it's still not possible, I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,
R.
Unfortunately, the KA1 does not have the physical light switch for the long press to toggle night mode nor does it use the same brightness settings to trigger night mode by setting the brightness to specific levels.

If you don't mind having the screen always inverted, the easiest way is to add the following lines to the Kobo eReader.conf file (located in the .kobo\Kobo directory):
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true
Usual caveat about using a end of line sensitive editor under Windows (Notepad++ is my choice). If the FeatureSettings header is not there copy both lines, otherwise copy the InvertScreen=true line into the FeatureSettings section.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:27 AM   #25
Circle

Smile Thank-you, DNSB!

DNSB,

Thank-you for your quick and informative response. I've actually enacted the always on-inverted screen. It's a bit disconcerting with the covers and main menu; but since I spend 95% inside books, this is not a big issue. Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unfortunately, the KA1 does not have the physical light switch for the long press to toggle night mode nor does it use the same brightness settings to trigger night mode by setting the brightness to specific levels.

If you don't mind having the screen always inverted, the easiest way is to add the following lines to the Kobo eReader.conf file (located in the .kobo\Kobo directory):
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true
Usual caveat about using a end of line sensitive editor under Windows (Notepad++ is my choice). If the FeatureSettings header is not there copy both lines, otherwise copy the InvertScreen=true line into the FeatureSettings section.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #26
buhlerc84
buhlerc84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2
Brightness Toggle for NightMode

DNSB and Circle,

I've just started using Night Mode and have it working using the Brightness as a toggle for turning Night Mode on and off. It may be better for you than having Night Mode always on.

I used the KoboRoot.tgz from the following link: https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz

Once installed, I opened nightmode.ini and changed the entire [brightness] code to

Code:
[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes
timeout = 0
100 = toggleNightMode
Every time you drag the brightness using the left hand side slider to 100% it will toggle back and forth between Night Mode and standard. It might be nicer than Always On.

(thanks to boriar for the Brightness code).
buhlerc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:44 AM   #27
fraggle111
fraggle111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O, Kindle PW
buhlerc84,

that sounds great, thank you so much!!!

And if this works on KA1, it should work on the new H2O as well, right?
fraggle111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #28
Sante Caserio
Sante Caserio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura h2O edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggle111 View Post
buhlerc84,

that sounds great, thank you so much!!!

And if this works on KA1, it should work on the new H2O as well, right?
Hi,

I'm french, sorry for my syntax...

First of all thank you for sharing your ideas and code.

I used night mode on my first ereader (kobo glo), it was an essential feature! The Comfort light used in the "h2o 2017" is much more smooth for my eyes but after a whole night of reading I however wanted to give a try...

So I tried buhlerc84 solution (kobo h2o edition 2). It Works with a lot of bugs.
Sometimes, when touching the screen, reader goes into standby mode or goes to homescreen. Other times impossible to revert to standard mode or screen unresponsive.

I'm waiting for other people experiences with h2o 2017. Many thx.

Last edited by Sante Caserio; 08-11-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Sante Caserio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #29
Circle

Thanks buhlerc84!

I'm going to give this a shot! Thanks for the link and the info. It would be nice to have the option!

Cheers,
Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by buhlerc84 View Post
DNSB and Circle,

I've just started using Night Mode and have it working using the Brightness as a toggle for turning Night Mode on and off. It may be better for you than having Night Mode always on.

I used the KoboRoot.tgz from the following link: https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz

Once installed, I opened nightmode.ini and changed the entire [brightness] code to

Code:
[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes
timeout = 0
100 = toggleNightMode
Every time you drag the brightness using the left hand side slider to 100% it will toggle back and forth between Night Mode and standard. It might be nicer than Always On.

(thanks to boriar for the Brightness code).
Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #30
melodyh
melodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheesemelodyh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One
NM not working for KA1 running firmware 4.5.9587 (c77383d7d1, 7/13/17)

Hi everyone! (Most especially buhlerc84 ).

I have been using night mode on my Kobo Glo HD forever and it's wonderful! I took the plunge today and purchased a Kobo Aura One and - of course - my first bit of business is to get the awesome night mode hack working. I found this thread and followed the directions in post 26 above. KoboRoot.tgz unpacked just fine. I then edited the nightmode.ini file to read this:

Quote:
# config file for kobo-nightmode

[state]
invertActive = no # yes / no
retainStateOverRestart = no # yes / no

[control]
longPressDurationMS = 800 # time in milliseconds to toggle (1000 = 1 second)
debug=no # yes/no to enable/disable debug logging

[nightmode]
refreshScreenPages = 3 #force refresh every X pages
#forceSWInvert = true #force SW invert mode (default: false)

[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes
timeout = 0
3 = toggleNightMode
and ejected, restarted...no love. Setting the brightness to 3% (my preference) does not toggle night mode. I'm very sad.

My KA1 is running firmware 4.5.9587 (c77383d7d1, 7/13/17). Does anyone see if I've screwed up somewhere? Or, it is possible that this version of the night mode patch is not compatible with my firmware?

Any help would be super. Great forum!!!!!!!
melodyh is offline   Reply With Quote