Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #286
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have tried a Tom Holt book long, long ago, and I don't think I liked it. However, I'm willing to give him another shot (eventually). Which of his books should I put on my wish list? That is, which do you think would work best for someone new to his books?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I really liked the first couple, and just sort of slowly drifted off when it started to seem repetitive. Who's Afraid of Beowulf? was probably my favourite. I felt that Expecting Someone Taller would have benefitted from a bit more knowledge of the Ring Cycle than I possessed.

Snow White and the Seven Samurai seems to be the last one I have.

It's probably been long enough that I should try some of his newer stuff.
I agree that either of the first two would be a good starting point, though it is about 25 years since I read them - not sure how I would view them now.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #287
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I'm on schedule for my total book count, with 10 books read (or abandoned), and two short stories. Given how little time I had to read this month, that's good. And mostly I've been able to dig into my TBR, at least a little. Just finished Rivers of London, published in the US as Midnght Riot, by Ben Aaronovitch. That was fun, but upped my wishlist by 4 books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #288
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Whew. I'm on track with all my challenges and sub-challenges.

January totals: fifteen books read (year's goal is 120), ten books bought (year's goal is no more than 120).

The fifteen books include two DTBs (goal is to read at least one DTB a month as I have lots of unread ones at home), two Doctor Who books/stories (goal is one a month) and four books outside my "regular" genres of YA, urban fantasy, cosy mystery and Doctor Who.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #289
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just finished Rivers of London, published in the US as Midnght Riot, by Ben Aaronovitch. That was fun, but upped my wishlist by 4 books.
I like that series.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #290
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yup, me too Xanthe. Not my usual genre, but I enjoyed it.

Last edited by CRussel; 02-01-2014 at 12:55 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #291
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm chugging right along. January is one of my worst months for reading (I don't know, I always feel like bleh!) Maybe I'm coming down from Christmas. I've got 5 down this month and am well into 4 more. Things should pick up in February for me.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #292
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I have tried a Tom Holt book long, long ago, and I don't think I liked it. However, I'm willing to give him another shot (eventually). Which of his books should I put on my wish list? That is, which do you think would work best for someone new to his books?
I typically recommend Flying Dutch for newcomers. Pretty much everybody knows the core legend, so there's no special work needed to get into it.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 PM   #293
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
For January: Read (or re-read) 27 books, plus a few short stories & finished one audiobook. Also discovered several new-to-me authors that are definitely going to stay in my must buy list, which puts me well on my way to the goal of adding 12 new authors this year to those whose new releases I look forward to purchasing regularly. I'm reasonably pleased with my overall progress; I've knocked a few books off my TBR list, read more than I bought, and while I didn't stay under budget for the month, I didn't do too badly either. I even remembered to take advantage of the Kindle lending library, for once!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #294
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
I've knocked a few books off my TBR list, read more than I bought, and while I didn't stay under budget for the month, I didn't do too badly either.
Congratulations! I didn't manage any of those! Read 25, bought 50. Whoops.

But the ones I've bought I'm going to really enjoy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #295
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I did pretty well for January and am ahead of schedule. I've already finished the one specific book I made a goal of reading the first half of the year (Foucault's Pendulum), and including the book I'm currently reading I'm already over 1,000 pages read out of my goal of 4,000 for the half-year.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #296
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Congratulations! I didn't manage any of those! Read 25, bought 50. Whoops.

But the ones I've bought I'm going to really enjoy.
I can see where that might be a problem!

However, knowing what you bought, I suspect you won't have any trouble getting through those new books. Those are some good series.

Back to Travels With Charley last night & this morning, and about 3/4 done with Sarah Woodbury's The Fallen Princess. I'm not enjoying the latter as much as the first several in the series, and I'm not sure if the problem lies in the book or in me. Next up could be in just about anything, from paranormal to steampunk to epic fantasy. Not sure what I'm in the mood for at the moment, but it might be time to switch away from historical mysteries for a bit.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #297
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
At the moment I am one book ahead of schedule, and the one I am reading is a biggie - nearly 1500 pages according to my Kobo - of which I have read a bit over half so far. The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories by Connie Willis, which I got because it included Fire Watch.

PS Thanks for the comments on Tom Holt - I'll seek him out at my library. I like the wacky sound of them.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:43 AM   #298
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Wow didnt know Kobo adds so much pages compared to the paper book. O_O

The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories by Connie Willis average around 500 pages on different editions.

I think kindle adds far less in my experience.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:25 AM   #299
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, in terms of how long it takes me to read a 100 page story, I think you are right and it's about three times the length of a real page. Actually, to be accurate, Kobo only shows me a page count for each story, but the copy on Calibre (ahem) says 1472 pages or so.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #300
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Yes, in terms of how long it takes me to read a 100 page story, I think you are right and it's about three times the length of a real page. Actually, to be accurate, Kobo only shows me a page count for each story, but the copy on Calibre (ahem) says 1472 pages or so.
It could just be poorly coded. I cleaned up the code on one "238" page book, and it instantly dropped to about 199.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote