Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #541
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Is Kobo going to offer more than just the black Aura? The others are sold out, I guess (the colors weren't selectable on the site, checked five minutes prior to this post). Sucks, I made a cover for my Glo and I have an extra yard of quilting cloth in a white motif and left over fusible interfacing.

I'm not one to buy not gadgets just to own a new version, but I was really impressed with the Glo, flaws included. Reviews and Utoob vids indicate the screen shadows and light bleed along the bottom are gone. High rez + better quality light, I'm sold.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #542
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
Is Kobo going to offer more than just the black Aura? The others are sold out, I guess (the colors weren't selectable on the site, checked five minutes prior to this post).
Well, I looked onto the Kobo website and only can find the brown color. White and black sold out.
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #543
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
All seem selectable in Canada too.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #544
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Oh, I'm just colorblind then (point in fact I am). I guess I'll get a brown one.

Thanks for looking, though.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #545
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
Oh, I'm just colorblind then (point in fact I am). I guess I'll get a brown one.

Thanks for looking, though.

I do prefer the brown Aura HD but I will wait a little longer cos KOBO and Amazon will annouce their new e-readers in a couple of weeks. If nothing suits me, Aura HD is the one. Hopefully, by then, the brown color will still be available.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #546
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I guess I should offer a few comments after using the Aura for 5 days. I have an Android tablet and previously I had a Kindle eInk reader, but not the glow type. This is my first self-lit eink reader, and I'm glad I got it. I would not consider a new eink reader that was not self-lit after using the Aura.

The resolution is also a plus. This comes into effect with something I don't recall on the Kindle, and that is the Aura has a lot of different built-in fonts to choose from. I was always a fan of Georgia, and went to it out of habit. After a few days, I decided to experiment with some of the other fonts, and found that I like Amasis even more on the Aura, although I never cared for Amasis on my tablet. I think part of that is the high resolution, because Amasis is a lighter font and I think benefits from the greater pixel density, and maybe also from eink in general.

Bottom line is this is a gadget that I'm glad I bought.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #547
DStyle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
found that I like Amasis even more on the Aura

Did you downloaded it? Where from?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #548
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStyle View Post
Did you downloaded it? Where from?
It's a built-in font on the Kobo ereaders. No need to download it.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #549
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I've had my Aura for less than 24 hours and so far I love it! took some trial and error with the Kobo plug-ins in calibre to get my tags to transfer to the Aura as shelves but they are all set now. I tried out the light for a short while last night (migraine wouldn't let me concentrate for very long) and it is amazing, beautiful clear light spread evenly across the surface; much better than my T1 case or any clip-on I've tried.

Still getting used to no buttons and a different way of gesturing/swiping/tapping on the screen for page turns etc. I'm sure I'll adjust to that. Also have to get used to no physical 'Home' button; is there a way to get back to the shelves/library from the book I'm reading without going 'home' first?

Is there any reason to register/link my Aura with ADE if I exclusively use calibre to sideload books? I seem to remember doing it being a hassle when I got my Nook (then again, I find alot about the Nook to be a hassle!).

All in all I'm quite pleased with the deal I got on my Aura from Mookie!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #550
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
Is there any reason to register/link my Aura with ADE if I exclusively use calibre to sideload books? I seem to remember doing it being a hassle when I got my Nook (then again, I find alot about the Nook to be a hassle!).
Glad you like your Aura

Well, if your books are DRM-free and if you don't use your ereader with library books, there is no reason to connect it with your ADE account. But as far as I remember, it was very easy to do.

Have a nice weekend, hopefully with a lot of time to read on your new ereader
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #551
Wilmo
Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Wilmo knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: none
Hi,
I hope someone could help me. I am thinking of getting Kobo Aura but I would like to know what are the 10 fonts that are available because I have some Japanese books in PDF format that were scanned and OCR-ed. Do you think it will display it? This will be my deciding factor as I am unlikely to buy books from Kobo bookshop but mainly to read scanned books which are OCR-ed both in English and Japanese.

There were some questions earlier about converting it to ePub.
Here is a software that takes care of both main text and furigana too.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B...ag=fstyle03-22

http://iphone.f-tools.net/E-book-Jis...ouch-ePub.html
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #552
guitarchitect
guitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud of

Device: kobo aura hd... maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
Hi,
I hope someone could help me. I am thinking of getting Kobo Aura but I would like to know what are the 10 fonts that are available because I have some Japanese books in PDF format that were scanned and OCR-ed. Do you think it will display it? This will be my deciding factor as I am unlikely to buy books from Kobo bookshop but mainly to read scanned books which are OCR-ed both in English and Japanese.

You can side-load your own fonts - maybe check the modified fonts thread to see if someone wouldn't mind checking a file + font for you
guitarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #553
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
When reading epub files, the stock font Gothic is suitable for Japanese characters (remember that Kobo is now owned by Rakuten ). For PDF, I can't tell I've never tried one in Japanese.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #554
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
Hi,

If it is an epub with a Japanese font embedded in it the document default should display it okay.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #555
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Glad you like your Aura

Well, if your books are DRM-free and if you don't use your ereader with library books, there is no reason to connect it with your ADE account. But as far as I remember, it was very easy to do.

Have a nice weekend, hopefully with a lot of time to read on your new ereader
Yes, all my books are DRM free whether they came that way or were 'set free' nothing goes on any of my readers with DRM except library books. One of my favorite things about my T1 is how easy it is to check out library e-books; I'm keeping it for just that reason. After the success I had adding a couple fonts to my Aura I decided to go ahead and register it with ADE; you were right, it was very easy. I think I was having problems with ADE on my old laptop that colored my memory of it.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote