Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Stripes only in the sun

You'll have to see my image to know what I mean. But when I'm reading in direct sun, stripes will start to form from the bottom of the screen going up. They can run about 3/4 of the way up the screen, but they are lighter the higher up they go. It can be 1 to 4 stripes in the same locations. They start to form after a few page turns, very light at first and then getting darker and darker.

Refreshing the screen by bringing up the menu gets rid of the stripes, so obviously I could set my refresh more often to avoid it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the reader, obviously they don't want you to set refresh up to 100 pages since their menu selection only goes up to 6.

But I'm just curious if anyone else has seen these stripes and why they form in the same locations and mostly why are they only visible when reading in direct sunlight? Those stripes are never visible when reading indoors no matter how I try to see them or how seldom I refresh the page and always happen when reading outdoors.

Just mostly a curiosity thing at this point.

Edit: Actually, I wonder if it's caused by the device being hotter when outdoors? Even the bezel gets quite warm to the touch when reading outdoors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo stripes.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	106990  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 06-15-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Yes, I've seen that. Also, the page turns sort of fade out then fade in and therefore become slower. All this happens only in very direct sunlight outdoors, not through a window.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I've seen different versions of this reading in direct sun with older versions of Kobo devices (haven't seen it on newer ones primarily because I haven't read in the sun with them). Seems to be due to the screen heating up and almost giving more contrast. OTOH I do read with refresh every page, so I'd be less likely to see it anyway.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
But I'm just curious if anyone else has seen these stripes and why they form in the same locations and mostly why are they only visible when reading in direct sunlight? Those stripes are never visible when reading indoors no matter how I try to see them or how seldom I refresh the page and always happen when reading outdoors.

Just mostly a curiosity thing at this point.

Edit: Actually, I wonder if it's caused by the device being hotter when outdoors? Even the bezel gets quite warm to the touch when reading outdoors.
When my wife was reading on the patio and put her Glo in it's cover on the table for about 30 minutes or so while chatting with a neighbour, she found the screen looked blotchy when she picked it up again. Odd white dots within the black areas. If she refreshed the screen a couple of times, the text looked okay until the next page. After it cooled off, the display went back to normal. From what she said, the cover was hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold when she first picked it up.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
First-release third generation Kindles, introducing the Pearl screen, had a similar problem with displays in the sunlight. After the display was exposed to direct sunlight/heat for a period of time, the text would begin to fade unevenly. Page refreshes would clear it but Amazon solved the problem quickly with a firmware update.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
First-release third generation Kindles, introducing the Pearl screen, had a similar problem with displays in the sunlight. After the display was exposed to direct sunlight/heat for a period of time, the text would begin to fade unevenly. Page refreshes would clear it but Amazon solved the problem quickly with a firmware update.
Does the Amazon 4th generation device have any problems when it heats up? Kobos left in the sun have to cool down before they can be used, it seems. My DH left his out when we went to the store and thought it was borked when he returned.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Does the Amazon 4th generation device have any problems when it heats up? Kobos left in the sun have to cool down before they can be used, it seems. My DH left his out when we went to the store and thought it was borked when he returned.
From what I've read, eInk states 0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F) as the operating temperature for their displays. With my wife's Glo, given my wife's comment that the cover was uncomfortable to hold, I suspect in the bright sun and with a dark case, the maximum temperature had been reached.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes, that was what I figured as well, David. I do not leave my Kobo in a hot parked car either.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read all summer outdoors with my Sony PRS-350s, and they do get too hot for me to touch the metal so that I put skins on them. It's still hot, but not too hot for me to touch. I imagine because the Sonys refresh every page is why that problem never happened. But the screen never starts to do the fading in and out on page turns as treadlightly mentioned also that happens on the Kobo when hot.

I can't remember if PRS+ has a setting to do less frequent page refreshes to test it further. But I thought all e-ink screens were made by the same company, it seems odd there would be differences between devices then.

I've never left my readers in a hot car, they go with me when I leave if I have the reader with me.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have not experienced any problems using Kindles in direct sunlight since that time. Of course, I don't leave devices out in the hot sun for any length of time. :-) E-ink devices seem to be vulnerable to heat.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
I live in Southern Spain, and read a lot ouside. I've never had that problem with my K4NT, nor with my Paperwhite, but it did happen with my pb360.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

If your reader refreshes the page with every page turn, it's highly unlikely your reader will ever display the problem. I'd be curious to know if any ereader has shown the problem with a refresh every page though.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I live in Southern Spain, and read a lot ouside. I've never had that problem with my K4NT, nor with my Paperwhite, but it did happen with my pb360.
It was a known problem for the 3rd generation Kindle (the one prior to the Touch) when it was first released. When standing outside, in sunlight, the fading would occur within a matter of minutes even if the actual air temperature was not particularly high. In that case, the sunlight was the issue. As I mentioned, it was remedied with a firmware update so I would not expect to see it again with any Kindle.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
If your reader refreshes the page with every page turn, it's highly unlikely your reader will ever display the problem. I'd be curious to know if any ereader has shown the problem with a refresh every page though.
I'm curious to know too. This is quite different than the fading text problems of ereaders in the past.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
jdtanner
jdtanner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs down

Same problem here

As you can see from the attached image, the black line runs the full length of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	107129  
jdtanner is offline   Reply With Quote